• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Anyone have luck at volleyball courts?

MentalUnrest

I really thought volleyball courts would be full of great things, especially up near the net with people jumping up to spike and block the ball - also on the sidelines where people empty their pockets before playing. Not sure on number I have searched, but it is high, and I have had no luck at all. The most I have found is an occasional clad penny or dime.

Do you have luck at these? Sure would seem like these would be loaded, and the best part is it makes for easy digging/sifting. No luck at all with me though.

I have done several volley ball courts and tot lots to boot and nothing more then clad. I really do much better in residential lawns and schools then anywhere else. Farm fields are starting to look good also. I guess it just depends on the area but i still try all the same. I never refuse to hunt a spot if it has dirt or sand.

I really thought volleyball courts would be full of great things, especially up near the net with people jumping up to spike and block the ball - also on the sidelines where people empty their pockets before playing. Not sure on number I have searched, but it is high, and I have had no luck at all. The most I have found is an occasional clad penny or dime.

Do you have luck at these? Sure would seem like these would be loaded, and the best part is it makes for easy digging/sifting. No luck at all with me though.
Depends on if other Md'ers are hitting them. I had a double volleyball court that I did fantastic on for a few years but then someone else moved in and now I'm lucky if I can find a buck in clad. Others I have found as little as 2 or 3 coins. Too many others with the same idea :no:

went out this morning to our county fair grounds for the first time, there is a sand v-ball court. all i found is 2 dimes and a penny. better than nothing i guess

I had some good luck in a volleyball court back when I very first started to detect. I think it was either my first or second time detecting outside my yard. I found 4 rings in one court. They were all junk (one brass, the rest titanium or something like that). But when you are just starting out it doesn't get much better than that.

Unfortunately I haven't found anything of any real interest in a court since then!

I've found a couple that hadn't been hit hard. Did real well. Recently found silver quarter and some wheats. Usually they're considered a good place to check so I was surprised there was anything there. I still hit em.

I have had mixed results. Some occasional jewelry and clad. Rememeber there are other hunters that may have hit it 1st. Also, just because there's a nice volleyball net set in nice white soft sand doesn't mean that it gets used.

I think someone is having luck.....

Based on my own experience and the posts to this thread, I think that someone is having luck at these locations! It makes sense that people would loose coins and jewelry, but so far, I have not found much. I think that someone is beating me to these locations..... HH, Dave........

I have good luck on beach volley ball courts, depending on the load on those courts.

Find most behind the back line and on the sides, but have found some where people are jumping, tho just clad.

I have hit two sand volleyball courts. I have found a small amount of clad in the court itself and a decent amount of clad and various junk on the edges. I don't if it was from people watching or players sitting things down.

Great Idea

This is a great idea. I think that I will check out some local volleyball courts.. Hmmm, why didn't I think about that?

I have hit two sand volleyball courts. I have found a small amount of clad in the court itself and a decent amount of clad and various junk on the edges. I don't if it was from people watching or players sitting things down.

I have a theory that some people take off items like jewelry and put them at the edge of the court for "safe keeping" so they don't lose it while playing. Then they forget all about it when they leave. Above I mentioned finding 4 rings in one court. Three of them came from near one of the posts that hold up the net.

I have found only 1 Silver ring and a bunch of clad. Thats it. Oh yeah and Pull Tabs. lol:D

I've only found clad but I did find my first silver ring in the grass area behind the serving line. I'm guessing that they put their stuff in their shoes and carry it afterwards not noticing it falling out. Just a hunch. Also found a bunch of clad along the fence line where people sit and watch or put their stuff down.

I did find a man's gold wedding band
in one. But after 3 years of hunting
them around here, I rarely find more
than two coins in any of them.

I believe they are hunted a lot.

I was probably the first one there
after that guy lost his wedding band.

Beaches and tot lots tend to be that
way also.

Oh well,

Guess I'll have ta figger sumthin else,

I hit one a couple weeks ago and dug everything in all metal. Got close to $2 in clad and a lot of rusty nails :?: and some sharp can slaw. Been skunked in VB courts more often than not, and so far no notable jewelery. Have seen some good finds from them though. When I first started detecting I was big into playing VB. I got up early and went to a popular sand court as the sun was coming up and started to grid. After a couple empty passes I noticed that someone beat me there and gridded the place before the sun came up. I guess the easy digging makes them a hot spot too.

Back
Top Bottom