• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

how does someone locate boy scout and girl scout camps

diggin_nut

hey everyone,

does anyone know any key techniques to finding old boy scout or girl scout locations as well as ccc camps?
any hints would help thanks in advance.

good question. and if you find them, are they all fair game or do you need permission for each individual camp?

Try some searching through Wikipedia, among others. Found a nearby Girl Scout camp closed back in the late 60's. There was some sort of reunion with photos and all which had recently been posted. Now, waiting for the weather to cool down...

All the Scout Camps that I have been to are private property and they have had big signs stating so at entrances. I have been able to metal detect at them because I have been there as a Scout leader with my troop. I don't know if they would just let you show up and metal detect.

CCC camps can also be a problem because they are considered historical areas in some places. You may try searching for where the CCC projects were in your area, there is usually a listing somewhere. Once you find the projects the camps will be near by. A lot of them were pretty transient too which makes it harder to find them.

when I was doing research i just hit the wiki and it showed all of the ccc camps in michigan and i found the boy scout camps similarly....I also asked people who were alive during that time....luckily though, my father in laws uncle owns the property that used to be a boy scout camp (and it's huge..and on a lake) so i have permission to detect it...

or if you google abandoned boy scout camps, there are quite a few links that popup....

also in Michigan we had some POW camps...havent had a chance to do any research on those yet..

Be VERY careful at the CCC camps. As stated before, most are considered historical sites. If they are on any form of federal land (BLM, National Forest, Etc.), they will be off limits. I have two within 25 miles of me. Both are beautiful sites with many foundations, a couple of walls, old roads, trash pits, a swimming pool and more. I would love to hit them, but I cannot.

I would think to find Boy and Girl Scout campsites, some local research would be the best bet. In my local area, I found where one boy scout camp was. They closed it, and it is now part of the National Forest. Instead of maintaining their own campground, the local Boy Scouts opted to camp on federal land. There are formal campsites that they use, river campsites and wilderness campsites. Usually once every couple of years, the local scouts (older ones) do a 7-10 day backpack trip.

Best of luck to you and be safe on where you hunt.
Doug

Last edited:
From an Eagle Scout.....

I spent some great years in Boy Scouts and camped over many summers at several sites.

My suggestions would be:

1) Be currently active somehow in scouting, even as an adult council advisor. If you have a specific skill, offer to be available to help the scouts earn merit badges or skill awards in your area of expertise to help them advance in rank.

2) If involved, volunteer for a weekend trip where they camp. The "summer camp" is used for many other weekends in the spring and fall for specific scout events like Order of the Arrow. Often the "old guys" as we called them hung around the fire and cooked for the scouts in the dining area when we were doing activities on these weekends. Bring the detector and hunt during free time. As mentioned just make sure it isn't historicial.

3) Each area has its own council, here is a link to find the council near your zip code: http://www.scouting.org/localcouncillocator.aspx

4) There are usually several locations in a council were camping is done. Not all is at the "Summer Camp" location, though that is usually the largest. Often farmers offer land for the scouts to do specific weekend events at aside from the large camp. Ask where the local camporees are held.

5) There are often other areas scouts use hard when working on merit badges, bike trails, hiking trails, farms, church's, etc. Look at the scout handbook and also visit the local council offices.

6) Best advice is give to get with the scouts. There are many ways you can. As with many other places we seek permission it is a level of trust that must be built.

Back
Top Bottom