Garret gti 2500

The Kraken

Just wondering if there has been and discussion on the Garret GTI 2500 like there is on the E-Trac and Spectra V3 ?

Reports by actual users not company propaganda of what it suppose to do.

Still have my heart set on the V3 but also considering others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I've never "owned" a Garrett GTI2500, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. :D

I've always been a bit disappointed that Garrett doesn't share the same "top dogs" status as say White's and Minelab. I've owned a lot of Garretts, and they were all good solid machines. Not necessarily the deepest detectors, but good solid performers all of them. I think the ACE 250 is a very good example of the quality Garrett is known for. Good features and good performance for the price. I wouldn't expect any less from the GTI2500.

Yeah, that is odd you don't hear more about the Garrett's top line detectors. I guess they are kind of like the Mopar of the detector world. They are there, but everyone is always busy arguing Ford vs Chevy (Minelab vs Whites) and they kind of just scoot under the radar.

Maybe we are all missing something and the reason the 2500 guys aren't on here touting their machines is they don't want the secret to get out.:?: :spin:

Dave

Ive been using my old gti 2500 for the last week(my SE is in nevada).I have found tons of clad,the sizing is great for that.BUT,i have yet to get a coin deeper than 6 inches,and i know these spots have them.This machine is nice with the imaging,but it doesnt get the depth nor can u really get much info about iffy targets.The best machine garret makes i feel is the ace 250.In the 200 bucks range they have the best detector.They need to make a new machine tho,its been over 10 years i think since they released a HIGH end unit.I have always like the garret products and would look into another one if they develop a good high end unit.

I have the GTI 1500 (sorta the little brother of the 2500) and like it very much. It's basicly the same machine with less bells and whistles.
Al

This is a fantastic idea! All you Garrett 2500 owners lets hear your experience. Thanks for the the post Kraken!

Keep Swing'in
Jack

I HAD A GTI 2500 AND TRADED IT FOR A DFX. IT IS VERY HEAVY TO SWING AND I DID NOT FIND MUCH PAST 6 OR 7 INCHES. THE DFX SEEMS TO BE MUCH BETTER. I REALLY LIKE THE EXPLORER SE THE BEST.:cool:

I have the GTI 1500 (sorta the little brother of the 2500) and like it very much. It's basicly the same machine with less bells and whistles.
Al

No no, it is the same bells and whistles, it's the voice that's missing :lol:

But the recent 2500 have had their tongue cut out apparently! :shock:

(I know the imaging of targets are different, less informative on the 1500)

HH

GTI 1500 here...

I'm curios why there's not much discussion on the Garrett higher end units.
I have found coins in the 6" range and a host of other stuff up to 12", maybe I'm just not over any deeper coins. I use a 7 ( around 3/4) setting for the sensitivity which may be part of the issue.
Marty

Last edited:
I have an ACE 250 and the GTI 2500. I use both regularly. I keep the ACE at work and GTI at home. Lots of great finds with both machines.

However, with the GTI I dig much less trash . It does a great job of weeding out unwanted objects ( micro metal and cans ) But yeah it is heavy. Same weight as DFX I believe.

I have an ACE 250 and the GTI 2500. I use both regularly. I keep the ACE at work and GTI at home. Lots of great finds with both machines.

However, with the GTI I dig much less trash . It does a great job of weeding out unwanted objects ( micro metal and cans ) But yeah it is heavy. Same weight as DFX I believe.

DFX is much lighter and better depth in my opinion.

DFX is much lighter and better depth in my opinion.

Yeah the GTI is heavier 4.6 pounds vs DFX 4 pounds. Not a huge difference but it would be noticeable..at least by me that is for sure.
I definitely prefer lighter to heavier:lol:

I cant comment on the DFX depth capability as I have never used one.
I havent been dissapointed depthwise with the GTI but where I hunt it isnt that much of an issue.Top soil is shallow and coins have nowhere to go. 6 inches usually = rock.

Anyway I would have to own both machines and set up a rigorously controlled test garden before giving a fair opinion.

Here in urban Japan trash discrimination is a humongous concern and the GTI
does the job well.

yeah the gti is heavier 4.6 pounds vs dfx 4 pounds. Not a huge difference but it would be noticeable..at least by me that is for sure.
I definitely prefer lighter to heavier:lol:

I cant comment on the dfx depth capability as i have never used one.
I havent been dissapointed depthwise with the gti but where i hunt it isnt that much of an issue.top soil is shallow and coins have nowhere to go. 6 inches usually = rock.

Anyway i would have to own both machines and set up a rigorously controlled test garden before giving a fair opinion.

Here in urban japan trash discrimination is a humongous concern and the gti
does the job well.

ncny is correct on the minelab. I have both and would rather use the minelab. Both are good machines. The gti is real good up to around 6 inches, but after that i lose confidence on the depth.

I really can not do a very good job of distingushing between tones (they all sound the same to me) so the visual display on the 2500 is what I was after. It is a tad heavy, and after a couple of hours you do find your self getting sloppy witht he swinging.
The visual/size display is pretty much spot on, and does a very good job of identifying trash. Like most machines nickels and tabs hit the same.
The gold I've found have all been either 7 or 7.5, but those you have to dig trash to find. Like the ACE it is a coin magnet, if it says it is B size and a coin,95% of the time it is. Silver jewlery hits in between the coin indicators and the silver rings I've found have also shown as B size. The big advantage is that with the size indicator you can skip the junk. For example the ace would indicate a coin--say a quarter and bell tone, but the 2500 would also bell tone but show it is bigger than a quarter say C size. When you dig it is a large washer for example.
Max depth with the stock coil, with any sort of confidence, here in Northern Ohio is about 6-7", but I find most about 3-5". Usually if I get a coin size target deeper then 7" it is going to be junk. For the money, I would have thought it would be better at target ID's at 7"+ before you needed to consider a larger coil. Depth indicator is really accurate too and pin pointing is dead on. I am seriously considering getting the bigger coil for better imaging at greater depth.. I dig 70% less trash with the 2500 as I did with the Ace, but really think I am missing deeper silver with the stock coil. The trash I do dig is when in jewelery mode hoping for gold or going after nickels in coin mode. Real happy with it, but the v3 is looking mighty nice.

Been using the Garrett 2500 for about a month now. At first I didn't trust the ID kept thinking it can't be another coin but it almost always was. Most places I hunt are full of junk, but I have learned when I hear the coin beltone sound that I should make a much smaller slower swing over the area I heard it to separate it out from what might be other trash along side or next to the coin. One time at a park the thing went nuts, "bing bing bing bing bing bing" as I swung it back over that spot it did it again, and the ID bounced between penny, dime quarter and even nickel. I thought must just be alot of junk here or nails maybe. But I thought I'll dig it up anyway just to see what would make it do that. First out popped a quarter, then another quarter, then a penny then a dime then a nickel, another quarter and two more pennies! Finally no more beeps over the hole. 8 coins in one hole and that was exactly what the detector was telling me. All the coins were 4-6 inches deep and all in the 70's and 80's. Another time I got a half dollar signal at 4 inches and no matter which way I swung the detector it always said half dollar. So I dug it and found a quarter, swung it over the hole again and it now said quarter. So I dug up the other half of the half dollar! LOL. Another time I got a dollar signal at 10 inches, every time I swung it over it. But it said it was bigger than that, So I dug it and dug and dug finally at 12 inches I pulled out a 1938 license plate! About six feet away I got exactly the same signal, but I haven't dug that one yet, maybe it is the other plate? AL

I had a GTI 2000 then a 2500 (basically the same machine like the GTI 1000 and 1500 were) both were clad killers and really hot on quarters. It was a fantastic coin shooter and very accurate, but like others have said, they didn't seem to get much deeper than 6 inches, so I too went to the DFX. Although slightly more than a half pound doesn't sound like much, it makes a difference when you've been swinging for a while and the DFX is better balanced which helps too. The GTI's have been around for quite a while and I think that Garrett is a bit behind with their technology. I believe they would benefit from an updated detector, but haven't heard anything about them working on one.

I have a CXIII and as far as I know there is a lot in common with the 2500.

I was never real impressed with the CXIII in my soil. I've read that the 2500 performs the same. Better for milder soil.

Do you 2500 owners find its performance erratic sometimes?

Back
Top Bottom