Estate Sale Score??

Swing4TheRing

Forum Supporter
Hit an estate sale this morning and decided to look at the "silver-plate"/"IS" items along the table hoping for some sterling. Well I didn't quite get full sterling, but hopefully something still with value!

Pulled this serving plate marked 825... 82.5% silver I'd take it...?? Never bought this before but hoping it still carries a similar melt value minus the percentage difference...

Plate weighs in at 23.8 ounces. Is my math correct to say that would be about $313 melt value?? :?:

Attachments

• 20161012_160833.jpg
    20161012_160833.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 766
  • 20161012_160932.jpg
    20161012_160932.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 704
Hit an estate sale this morning and decided to look at the "silver-plate"/"IS" items along the table hoping for some sterling. Well I didn't quite get full sterling, but hopefully something still with value!

Pulled this serving plate marked 825... 82.5% silver I'd take it...?? Never bought this before but hoping it still carries a similar melt value minus the percentage difference...

Plate weighs in at 23.8 ounces. Is my math correct to say that would be about $313 melt value?? :?:

Seems about right.
Nice score!

Could be worth more if sold as a platter.
I would do some research on the marks and a name if it has one.

ENGLISH SILVER MFG CORP - Brooklyn, NY
Manufacturer of silverplated wares from 1950. Some of its articles are marketed by Leonard Silver Manufacturing Company.

I saw a pic with the same backside stamp, but the number on the piece was 19. I'm thinking this sucker is silver plated and the 825 is a piece number, not an alloy %... just my luck! Learn something new though and would have been worth the homerun if it was 825 silver!

A quick search informs me that 825 is 'continental', for the European market.
82.5% silver. With the maker's hallmark.
Nice buy.

I hate to be the rain on your parade, but fear silver plated items contain only a thin layer of silver over much less expensive metals. Per Ebay's Buyer's Guide:

"Silver plate is the process of bonding an extremely thin layer (measured in microns) of silver to a base metal; most commonly used are copper, brass, white metal, or nickel. This layer of silver is so thin and nearly impossible to recover from the item without expensive means, and is not worth the cost of recovery due to the small amount of silver that can be recovered."

Back
Top Bottom