Would like help on comparing 2 detectors...

don716

I would like to compare the Garrett GTA 500 to the ACE 250.I know the 500 is an older machine but how does it compare to the new 250?I currently own a 500 but I was just wondering if the 250 would be a trade up or down?/same? Specs and all. Thanks for the help.
. Donny

I use to own a GTA 500 - a great machine - loved it - until I bought a Tesoro. Never owned a 250 - but I saw one in action once. The 250 was lighter and I think it did a slightly better job at identifying targets. The 250 is more advanced, but if your 500 is working fine, then why switch? It's a deep machine. Don't know if the 250 is a deeper machine than the 500, but those old 500's went deep. (I would think a 1350 would be more of a step-up than a 250.)

If you want a really fun machine that goes deep, loves silver, has a fast recovery time and is really easy to pinpoint with, try a Tesoro Umax Silver. It doesn't have a display, but the discrimination is excellent and you can swing for about 30 hours on one 9-volt battery. Very light-weight - you can swing it all day. (I missed the display at first, but after a few hours, I didn't miss it anymore. (Never could trust the display 100% of the time anyway.) Now, instead of keeping my eyes on the display, I get to look around and enjoy my surrounding.)

HH

Rich

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum and... if you want an excellent condition Tesoro Silver w/phones, I have one for what ever price the forum members think is fair. :yes: But to answer your question, I would stick with the 500 unless you are just in the mood for a new machine. Happy Huntin!

Diggler..What do you think of the Cortes?????..Have a Vaquero, thinking , since a TID machine may be a logical up step to ID items and minimize some digging. At 71, may hire a kid to dig for me, but that would kill the fun cordially Nad

Diggler..What do you think of the Cortes?????..Have a Vaquero, thinking , since a TID machine may be a logical up step to ID items and minimize some digging. At 71, may hire a kid to dig for me, but that would kill the fun cordially Nad

minimize some digging means cherry picking. cherry picking means to walk over some not so clear to identify targets. and this means you may leave some good targets for the following.

it's a double-edged sword.:roll:

the Cortes is a decent machine and can help ya to identify the items before ya dig. but even here the spell goes: if in doubt, dig.

Well I like it but... I don't use it too often. Since I USUALLY dig almost every target, it is faster for me to just dig than to try to figure out what it is before digging. Also the Cortes is heavier than my other machines. When doing cherry picking (and usually when not) I use my old Silver Sabre uMax with the CleanSweep coil attached. It makes pinpointing TOO easy and most signals are under 5". That combined with the weight makes for an easier time digging. If I were looking for deep silver I would still use the Sabre with the 12x10 coil and discrimination high. If I was trying to clean out a small trash infested area I would use the Sabre with the 4" coil and dig everything. The Cibola is the modern version of the Silver Sabre but operates on 14K (Vaquero too I think?) instead of 10K, which is a little more sensitive to fine gold and a little less sensitive to deep silver. I really don't like the notch on the Cortes (or any machine) for hunting jewelry. If you are hunting strictly for coins, then the Cortes with the notch IS great. I guess if it were me I would stick with the Vaquero. But if you want a Cortes let me know... HH!

Back
Top Bottom