war nickel question

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
war nickels 1942 - 1945. Do all war nickels contain 35% silver or only the ones with the P mint mark?

And has anybody had much luck getting nickels from the bank and finding war nickels? If so what percentage do you find?

war nickels 1942 - 1945. Do all war nickels contain 35% silver or only the ones with the P mint mark?

And has anybody had much luck getting nickels from the bank and finding war nickels? If so what percentage do you find?

war nickels were all mint or no mint marks(usually philly), they were made this way to reserve the metal for the war effort, not to make a specific nickel 35% silver.
I don't do coin rolls, it just matters whats left in circulation

I found my second war nickel just yesterday, it's a 1942 (S mint mark) that's in really great shape. I've been concentrating on digging low tones trying to find a dated V nickel (no luck yet). This war nickel was a weird 13-14 to 12-18 on my Etrac in the ground, out of the ground it's a super steady, normal signal of 12-12.

When I saw a shiny nickel down in the hole I knew I had another war nickel.

Like mentioned above, all mint war nickels are 35%. I haven't hunted nickel rolls for a few years, but used to snag a few war nicks when I did hunt em. Wouldn't have any idea on a percentage, but they popped up every now and then. I've got 4 back in change in the last 5 years. Dug my first one this spring to knock one off the list. Good luck and HH!

I hunt nickels every so often and get 1-2 a box.... Sometimes get vnickels as well

"war nickels" are always easily identified by the large mint-mark top center of the reverse of the coin. No large mintmark, not a war nickle.

Sorry you guys, but not all 1942 war nickels are silver.

1942(p)- no mintmark- non-silver
1942-d(small mintmark)- not silver, semi-key date
all the others that have the mintmark above the dome are 35% silver.

Keep your eye open for the counterfeit 1944 'Henning' nickel, dated 1944, with no P mintmark above the dome.

http://www.numismaticenquirer.com/The_Numismatic_Enquirer/Henning_Counterfeit_Nickel.html

I had no idea about these Hennings! Why would a guy counterfeit a nickel? Thanks for the education here Amc!
Mud

Sorry you guys, but not all 1942 war nickels are silver.

1942(p)- no mintmark- non-silver
1942-d(small mintmark)- not silver, semi-key date
all the others that have the mintmark above the dome are 35% silver.

Keep your eye open for the counterfeit 1944 'Henning' nickel, dated 1944, with no P mintmark above the dome.

http://www.numismaticenquirer.com/The_Numismatic_Enquirer/Henning_Counterfeit_Nickel.html

Yes, this has been explained in the link I posted. The reason the US Mint put the mint mark OVER the dome, was to easily identify silver from non-silver nickels.

"war nickels" are always easily identified by the large mint-mark top center of the reverse of the coin. No large mintmark, not a war nickle.

Yeah, if it's a 42 with no mark or a small one, it's not a war nickel. I find it odd that this is a source of confusion...As far as the Hennings go, why aren't we all jumping in the cooper river and finding these "lost" counterfeits? Now I gotta change up my pocket change routine.;)

My brother has coin roll hunted nickels for the past year and a half. Ive done it with him once in a while. From what hes told me he finds 3 or 4 keepers in a good box of nickels. Sometimes he gets skunked just like in metal detecting. To date hes found 3 V nickels, 52 Buffalos, and 103 War nickels. Funny story his detecting name is Nichols.

Wonder what a cache of about 200,000 nickels would sound like?

The ugly truth is that most detectors will ignore those targets. A single half dollar reads good, several stacked together read different. A pile of them becomes an unreadable overload. The detector can only "see" individual coins, but when you put them all together, there are so many targets that it becomes an overload.

Every detector model is made differently, so get a whole bunch of coins you want to detect as a cache and see what reading you get!

I got a really nice 43P in change from the Grafenwöhr shoppette about two years ago. Also, on two other separate occasions, got a 64 Rosie, and a 64 quarter from the same store.

Back
Top Bottom