1776 William Moulton NH colonial copper

Chapel679

Hello just wanted to share my find with . I found a 1776 new hampshire William Moulton colonial copper coin . I found it under my great great grandfathers house around 6" I am in the process of trying get it looked at .I got a whitman's red book and it talks about it .this is what it says word for word ..

[[New Hampshire was the first state to consider the subject of coinage following the declaration of independence. William Moulton was empowered to make a limted quality of coins
of pure copper authorized by the state house of representatives in 1776. Although cast patterns were prepared, it is believed that they were not approved. Little of the proposed
coinage was ever actually circulated. Other purported patterns are of doubtful origin. These
include a unique engraved piece and rare struck piece with large initials WM on the reverse....
Thats what mine has on it . The WM with American Liberty around the outer edge. And on the other side is a pine tree with 17 on one side of the tree and 76 on the other . Its in great shape to .... :grin:

Attachments

• William Moulton F 1776.JPG
    William Moulton F 1776.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 19,736
  • William Moulton 1776.JPG
    William Moulton 1776.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 11,733
WOW!
What A find! :shock:

*update! Holy Molly! I just looked it up!!!!*
Get a safe to put it in! The one listed is $25000! :wow: :shock:

Chapel679 !
hip hip hooray!
hip hip hooray!
hip hip hooray!

K, Chapel... you owe me for a new keyboard. Mine's now, full of saliva...!

That's a very very awesome find! I sure hope you get that thing professionally graded and slabbed.

Thats some find there you have buddy. I envy you. I have seen a pict. of a 1652 with the mass. pine tree, but this takes the cake. Its in such good shape too. :wow:Someone was smiling down on you when you locked onto that baby. congrats smg

Holy cow...

I can't believe that thing looks so...pristine after over 200 years in the dirt.

CONGRATULATIONS!

let me just say if thats real then buddy you got your self a find and a half the NH pine tree coinage in which was referd to as 25,000$ was what was circulated at the time, the one you have was not. so let me say first of all incredible find . but i would get it to a pro like stacks of new york and see what something like that would be worth in the mean time get a safty deposit box at a BIG bank.... again incredible find. just Wow

Hehe thx guys.. Yeah the house was built in the late 1800's there was a old store about 20 yards from the house .But it was there before the house was built dont know the exact date maybe early 1800's , but theres no telling what all im gonna find there i get hits every couple feet .im gonna dig every inch of the land if i have to :grin: . I will let you guys know if i find any new stuff ,and when i hear anything about this coin .

Now THAT is what you call a mind-blowing eye popping find. :shock: Wow! Congratulations!!!

This might be a 1860 fake. I found the following:(bold accent mine)

On June 28 the New Hampshire legislature passed an act stating a copper coin would be made in the colony having a pine tree and the motto AMERICAN LIBERTY on one side and a harp design with the date 1776 on the other. The copper was to weigh five pennyweight and ten grains, that is 130 grains. It would be distributed by the Treasury in quantities not exceeding £1000 in exchange for local paper currency at the rate of three coppers for two pence lawful money, which equaled the standard Massachusetts rate of 18 coppers per shilling. (the act, which was not clearly written, is found in Crosby, p. 176) Lawful money refers to the colony's paper currency, which was issued at the proclamation rate (6s to the Spanish American dollar). It has been suggested the harp design was probably based on the then current $7 continental currency bill which carried a Latin motto that can be translated as "The larger (harp strings) are harmonious with the small," -- a clear allusion to the union of the smaller and larger colonies.

At lease five variations of the New Hampshire coin are known, two of which carry the date 1776 on the obverse and the initials W. M. on the reverse. Some of these pieces may be unique with others are found in only a few examples. Examples of the varieties are plated in Breen, the Garrett Collection Sale and the Norweb Collection sale as cited in the bibliography below. It should be notes several modern reproductions of these coins exist. The pieces with the W.M. initials are now thought to be of doubtful origin and have been removed from the current edition (51st 1998) of R.S. Yeoman, A Guide Book of United States Coins,p. 38. In 1996 Dan Freidus explained one variety had been fabricated by C. Wyllys Betts in the early 1860's. That variety has an obverse containing a tree with the legend AMERICAN LIBERTY and a reverse with a harp. Freidus has illustrated an example of the coin as well as the dies from which it was made. The authenticity of the other pieces have also been questioned; currently there is no consensus on which, if any, may be authentic. It is generally though Moulton prepared some cast patterns but the coin never went into production.

The 1860 is an Indian head handed down from my grandfather who was an avid coin collector, Has some wear, But for the year is easily rated a VF, if not better, it is a beauty and and one of my favorites,
My treasure is a 1813 stiver from England, Its a big chunky coin, but it has a major pit in it , from acid or something, I admired the quality of the 1776 coin and its shape, I doubt you'd find something like that in the midwest. I keep my fingers crossed though thanks for the info, smg

I was wrong once I looked , The stiver is from Guyana. I recently got a world book on coins, and I never knew so many differnt coutries as well as coins were minted, it is dumbfounding. I am still just feeling my way along. smg

Back
Top Bottom