My first and only cache...so far!

pyledriver

I'll start off by saying that this is my first post.. Some of y'all might know me though since my name is the same on many forums. Anyway..

THIRTY odd years ago, when I was about 13, we lived at the edge of town in a new development surrounded by cornfields. To the north, down a white rock road there was a huge old farmhouse that was reputed to be haunted, etc. It was an intimidating place to be sure with all the vegetation growing around it, the amazing amount of junk everywhere, including boards with nails, broken glass, busted up furniture...and what I'd call CHAFF for a metal detector nowadays!

My buddies and I had looked inside the house and only ventured maybe a few feet inside the door but always chickened out before going all the way in for a looksee. The reason we got freaked out was that the house was full of stuff as if somebody had been living there one minute, and suddenly just vanished, leaving everything behind. We HONESTLY thought there would be some old skeleton lying in a bed upstairs! Sure was different being a kid back then vs. now!

Anyway, my sister wanted to go see the old house for herself and maybe get some cool old silverware and whatnot. Well, being the big brother, I couldn't be scared! We went inside and spent probably an hour just marveling at all the stuff inside, how old it was, what a shame somebody had smashed this or that, wondering about the people that had lived there and why everything was left.. Now for some strange reason, odd things tend to catch my eye. I noticed that we were standing on a massive rug that was almost the exact dimension of the living area we were in. The odd thing was that the rug has strange brown spots at fairly regular intervals going around it (where I could see). Turns out they were nails! So the next thought..'why in the world would somebody nail down a rug?'. Naturally what somebody wanted stuck down-in a 13yr old's mind anyway-HAD to come up! Peeling the rug back revealed 5 $1 silver certificates!! We were so excited we hooked 'em to the house to show our parents! What followed was the letdown of 'that old house is dangerous' and 'you shouldn't take what isn't yours' and 'don't let me hear about you going back', etc. etc. Bummer. We didn't care much for arse whoopins though, so we didn't go back! How I WISH we HAD! How I WISH that house was still there!! No telling what could have been found.

Over the years, the people that surrounded me always did their best to squash my silly-headed notions about treasure and finding lost things. The typical, waste of time and money searching for what was never really there argument.. I'm so sad to say that it had a profound effect on me and I didn't get back into treasure hunting of any kind till the last few years. It finally occurred to me that I HAD found treasure, that people DID hide treasure just as I knew they ALWAYS had...and always will!

I love stories like that!

This is why stories about ghosts don't scare me! I'm to blinded by the history(and treasure)! :D

That is an awesome story, it's nice that you went back to what you once knew as a kid. I waited about 18 years or so to get this detector! I was so happy to finally get what I wanted for so long. It's been such a blast so far. Hearing stories like yours makes me even more excited about what could be out there.

I got to thinking about that old house a lot after I made that post. I went to the site and just stared at where I think it used to sit. I'm somewhat sure that part of the 'spot' is in somebody's back yard, and part is in the park/greenbelt behind their fence! Once I figure this out, I'm gonna see about running my detector out there just for grins! Likely everything was graded off when they built the neighborhood and park, but sometimes they didn't do too much work if the land was pretty decent to begin with! Back in those days houses were popping up so fast, it seemed like they were growing out of the ground overnight! Hopefully they let some efficiency slide to accomodate expediency...

Welcome to the F.M.D.F "Pyledriver". I'm with "Stevo",what happend to the certificates??But other than the suspense of not knowing what happend to them that was a GREAT STORY.Talking about having a flashback from years ago,when you said,"what somebody wanted stuck down-in a 13yr olds mind anyway-HAD TO COME UP",man i grinned so big my jaws hurt.I have always been that way.every since i was big enough to get out in the woods and explore i've been looking for somekind of treasure,relic,artifact or even just a neat/odd looking rock was treasure to me.Matter of fact it actually paid off,if you will go to my pic albums of "bobby's other stuff" you will see a round white looking rock with a green shiny stripe around it,kinda looks like a odd shaped pool ball.My cousin and me were gold prospecting close to Ashville,N.C and this rock got sucked up through our dredge and when we were doing our sluice clean up my cousin just picked it up and pitched it over in the trailings pile.I just caught a glimpse of it and went over and picked it up and thought it looked different than any other rock i'd seen in the last 3 days we were there.I held on to it for about 4-5 years and finally took it to a rock and gem store and it turns out being part of a vein of a mineral called "perodot".It's broke loose and just rolled around the creek for years and rounded off nice and smooth.I'm going to be 39 this Dec. and I have never grew out of it.Don't think i ever will.It's not really nothing to grow out of either,it's like a passion just to be looking for something and the excitement of not knowing whats in that next plug or what is in that old milk crate tucked away in the back corner of grannys attic i remember seeing along time ago.Ya know what i'm saying folks?Am i just crazy or does everybody else have the same kind of enthusiasm about this treasure hunting stuff?Maybe that concussion i got when i was a little feller did more damage than what the doctors thought it did..LOL...Hope i didn't bore all ya'll to death,i just get caught up in talking about this stuff.I think i'm the only person within miles that detects and tresure hunts so you all are the only one i can talk to about it..HH guys and gals..Bobby in TN.

Last edited:
I guess I forgot about my post...sorry! I’m so rarely on the forums anymore! As for the silver certificates, I still have them. The site where the old house stood has been graded, paved, unpaved, regraded and everything else to the point that I don’t even entertain poking around with the detector anymore. For the last few years almost all my detecting has been out west looking for gold nuggets. Then most recently, I lost my mind and decided to get a ‘real job’ again and have been too busy to do almost anything! But if I ever get to explore any old houses again I’ll be watching for nailed down rugs!

Great story, wish you would have gone back and done some more searching. But don't blame you for obeying your parents.

A friend of mine from Minnesota told me that he knew a couple of guys that were hired to take down an old house. Nobody knows what they found but both were driving new trucks right after that. Wow! Treasures are out there :)

Well it was kind of a moot point because we had planned to go back after things settled down a bit, but about a month later the house caught fire and the fire department let it burn to the ground because it was so old.

Back
Top Bottom