Newbie Observations and a New Friend

Call Me V

Observation #1 - This is going to sound obvious to most of you, but between school and dance team practice I've only had a chance to take my detector out a couple of times, and a few of those times for barely an hour. So to me finding anything other than a pull-tab is kind of exciting. Even if it's just a penny, to pull it out of the ground evokes excitement at finding something that was essentially lost forever. Nickels, dimes, and quarters even more so. Still waiting on that first ring (fingers crossed).

Observation #2 - When I bought my detector I wasn't sure how much I was going to actually like it, so I went cheap on my pin pointer. I need to change that before I even upgrade my detector.

And a new friend - I was in my creative writing class Monday when a boy mentioned the subject of his paper was going to be about metal detecting. My attention perked up. I talked to him after class, and found out he's been metal detecting for about six months. We went out at lunch time to a park close to school and did about 30 minutes of detecting (4 pennies, 1 nickel, 3 pull tabs). He's teaching me how to read the signals better and to get my pinpointing down. I'm enjoying going out with someone who knows what they're doing, and I'm not out there just fumbling around. This weekend we're going to try and get to a house built in the 40's for a search!

Can't wait for Sunday!!

Observation #1 - This is going to sound obvious to most of you, but between school and dance team practice I've only had a chance to take my detector out a couple of times, and a few of those times for barely an hour. So to me finding anything other than a pull-tab is kind of exciting. Even if it's just a penny, to pull it out of the ground evokes excitement at finding something that was essentially lost forever. Nickels, dimes, and quarters even more so. Still waiting on that first ring (fingers crossed).

Observation #2 - When I bought my detector I wasn't sure how much I was going to actually like it, so I went cheap on my pin pointer. I need to change that before I even upgrade my detector.

And a new friend - I was in my creative writing class Monday when a boy mentioned the subject of his paper was going to be about metal detecting. My attention perked up. I talked to him after class, and found out he's been metal detecting for about six months. We went out at lunch time to a park close to school and did about 30 minutes of detecting (4 pennies, 1 nickel, 3 pull tabs). He's teaching me how to read the signals better and to get my pinpointing down. I'm enjoying going out with someone who knows what they're doing, and I'm not out there just fumbling around. This weekend we're going to try and get to a house built in the 40's for a search!

Can't wait for Sunday!!

V that's Awesome.. I saw a post you did where you found your first Silver.. congrats on that.

Rings WILL come along with other jewelry. I have found 19 this year and everyone of them pretty much hit a solid number as in it didn't jump around.. so look for that..

Good luck on your Metal detecting date this Saturday !!

Congratulations on finding some time to get out. When my daughters were playing soccer I would detect while they were at practice. Thats great that you found someone else who has been bitten by the bug.

Every coin I find is a victory for me, and exciting. I hope I never lose that excitement over a penny, or dime, or quarter, or nickel. If I do, I'll hang up my detectors.

I did the same thing...I got the Fisher pin pointer with my F2...then "upgraded" to the Harbor Freight one...both are junk IMHO...then I went to the Garrett Pro Pointer...and finally upgraded to the Garrett Carrot. No regrets at all.

Can't wait for Sunday!!

That's awesome. It's always more fun to go out with someone else...to share the highs and lows...to celebrate the coins, and laugh at the pull tabs and can slaw. I'm fortunate that I have a friend that will go out almost any time I'm available...I hardly detect alone anymore...it's just not as much fun for me.

Welcome to the forum, glad you're here

Congrats on finding a hunting partner, that makes it more enjoyable.

I’d recommend the Garrett propointer at also known as the carrot.

Gl and hh

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring

I hope you never lose the excitement of finding things I have been detecting for 6 years and I still enjoy digging clad coins. Now pennies are a different story. Good Luck and Have Fun.

I started in mid Feb 2010, didn't find any rings until June and they were both junk but I was still thrilled.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=49494&highlight=rings

I kept learning and digging and eventually I added way more rings to my collection including a bunch that were silver and gold.
By November 2012 here was my ring collection.
The top row is gold, second row is silver.

photostudio_1535719936058.jpg

Most were found using lower end detectors, the F2 and Compadre, in public parks.
I have added a whole lot more in the years since then but it all started with those two junk rings.

Never give up...never surrender!

I feel your pain. Dad with two girls, who I am running around all the time. I find that their practice time is a great time for me to sneak in an hour hunt here and there. I never quite get to finish up a spot but at least I am out.

On the pinpointer, absolutely get a good one. Best money that I have spent.

Glad you've got a mentor. It helps, A LOT.

BCD

Can't wait for Sunday!!

You've already found a silver coin. You're doing better than a lot of us since silver is getting harder to find. Amymore I do good to find three or four a year in my area. Is your friend a member of the forum? If not you should have him join too. It can help both of you with any questions you might have.

Yep, nothing wrong with the Ace 300...no need to feel like you have cheap equipment....keep swinging and learning...it will find plenty of good stuff....folks that brag about their pricey machine need to feel good about their buy. Rock On Ace lovers...

primetime

I started in mid Feb 2010, didn't find any rings until June and they were both junk but I was still thrilled.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=49494&highlight=rings

I kept learning and digging and eventually I added way more rings to my collection including a bunch that were silver and gold.

By November 2012 here was my ring collection.

The top row is gold, second row is silver.

View attachment 422974

Most were found using lower end detectors, the F2 and Compadre, in public parks.

I have added a whole lot more in the years since then but it all started with those two junk rings.

Never give up...never surrender!

Wow that’s quite the collection there 🤩

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring

Back
Top Bottom