First week in April

fdutra

This week I watched a productive, near shore cobble bed I had been working disappear under a layer of sand, and take a target rich environment with it. I headed out into the deeper zones where I found only more iron conglomerates and a couple of pennies until dead low tide, when I ran across a few greenies right at the limit of my reach. Got my gloves soaked when the wind changed direction and lost a couple of nice sounding targets. My fingers were painfully numb by this time, so I decided to call it, when Wham! A nice little 7.1 gram 14k Tiffany monogram was jingling around in the scoop, which goes to prove that the gold is where you find it. Any advice on an inexpensive brand of dry suit? Seriously, I'm running out of options with my leaking waders and targets just out of my reach.
Tiffany mono.jpg
The ring is quite beat up with "TIFFANY WAB14K" on the inside and some stylized, indecipherable (to me) monogram so I'm guessing it's not worth any more than melt.

On another note, I looked into how the pros deal with the iron conglomerates, (iron based) which I've been referring to as concretions (calcium based). Using acids and electrolysis is standard procedure if your dealing with a known iron object, but becomes a tricky business if you have an unknown non ferrous artifact embedded with the iron. In either case, the debris field has to be removed by mechanical methods like hammers and chisels and air based needle chippers, with more delicate items requiring more finesse. The shots below demonstrate my current level of finesse.

IMG_1793.JPG

Of the four I brought home yesterday, only 2 survived their ordeal, revealing 2 hand forged iron ships spikes. I think I'll use a smaller hammer next time.

Picture 1.jpg

Thanks for looking

That's a beauty!! Love the old solid signets!!

On the drysuit, no cheap opps. It really takes a lot to keep warm in 35 degree waters for several hours. And just like waders it seems like once a year they have issues specially with the stress of digging, and more then normal movement. But the good is once you have it down you can hunt in no mans land several months out of the year.

Nice Finds! I like that ring... I don't think I'll ever find old gold down here in south fl. Still a bucket lister for me.

Back
Top Bottom