Plastic wrapped dimes... easy, right?

Dougmeister

Elite Member
Just look to see if any don't have copper lines in them. Don't need to open 'em, right?

Anyone have a picture of what it would look like? I imagine it's pretty obvious...

I use to do this to and if I found one just make a slit and pull it out and replace it with another and put a small piece of tape over it. BUT.... you can miss silver if its dirty or whatever...

after doing hundreds of boxes a trained eye can pick out dirty silver pretty easy. I have been CRHing for 8 yrs......but as others said above you can miss a silver fairly easy

Ok. Thanks for the advice.

My first (real) contribution to the group. Here are some shots of a machine-wrapped (plastic) dime roll that contains a 1963 Roosevelt. Can you spot it?

Attachments

• 20130822_165316.jpg
    20130822_165316.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 312
Yepper.

So if I use a jeweler's loupe and am pretty darn confident that all others contain that ugly brown copper color, the only thing I'll be missing are:

1) proof coins
2) "rare" dimes (that I won't recognize until I order that book from Amazon that everyone is talking about)
3) error coins
4) foreign coins

Is that about right?

Not all silver has shiney edges like that. Sometimes its cruddy black or dirty looking.

G2M

I've searched lots of those clear coin condoms over the years. Can you imagine seeing 4-5 silver edges in every other roll? Too bad they aren't silver, they're Canadians, and I average 50-100 per $500 searched. I've found many old real silver Canadian dimes here in Mich, but it's to the point that I can overlook the "fake" foreign silver just by edge searching.

I edge hunt dimes but I do it very slowy and if there is any doubt that a coin may not be clad I unroll and check. Fairly positive I haven't missed any silver, I put the roll under light and slowly rotate it looking for copper edges.

Make sure you check any coins where the copper is not clearly seen, check green coins, black, brown, anything where it's not obviously copper.

Foreign coins can almost always be spotted by the difference in the ridges.

I tested myself by putting a silver coin in with a stack of clad and it's real easy to see. But like others have said, if it's real dirty it may be tough.

My last box of dimes I saw one and got real excited. It was a Canadian. Steel, not silver. I was bummed. Haven't found a silver dime doing CRH yet.

I tested myself by putting a silver coin in with a stack of clad and it's real easy to see. But like others have said, if it's real dirty it may be tough.

My last box of dimes I saw one and got real excited. It was a Canadian. Steel, not silver. I was bummed. Haven't found a silver dime doing CRH yet.
Keep at it...there's many a silver dime out there with your name on it.

Keep at it man! I just started crh this week. And I've searched about 1800$ in dime so far and 430$ in halves. I've found 7 silver dimes 1 90% silver half 5 40% silver halves and 3 nifc halves. It takes time. Good luck!

Yepper.

So if I use a jeweler's loupe and am pretty darn confident that all others contain that ugly brown copper color, the only thing I'll be missing are:

1) proof coins
2) "rare" dimes (that I won't recognize until I order that book from Amazon that everyone is talking about)
3) error coins
4) foreign coins

Is that about right?

What is the book title?

"Cherrypickers Guide to Rare Die Varieties of US Coins: Half Dimes through Dollars, Gold, and Commemoratives"

Another suggestion was either/both of the "Strike it Rich with Pocket Change" books.

"Cherrypickers Guide to Rare Die Varieties of US Coins: Half Dimes through Dollars, Gold, and Commemoratives"

Another suggestion was either/both of the "Strike it Rich with Pocket Change" books.

I have Strike it Rich with Pocket Change. Was going through my tin of pennies when we moved. Not sure where book and tin container are now:no:

Back
Top Bottom