Amazing opportunity and question

tater

Elite Member
I field hunt here in indiana. I have been doing research on a property that i have permission to hunt. Back in 1854 a guy bought this land. 125 acres for $2000 and paid cash. He had 7 kids. He was the commissioner for 3 years of the township. He was a mason. His farm was the best in the township. He was also a civil war vet.
Heres the deal. Its cold and the ground is frozen. I have been thinking of digging wider plugs if i even can putting them in bags and thawing them in the garage.
This leads me to think this site will be loaded. Its just a field now so i know i cant hurt it. Its on a gravel road that doesnt see much use and is close to the road so easy access.
What do you think? should i try it or wait.

I field hunt here in indiana. I have been doing research on a property that i have permission to hunt. Back in 1854 a guy bought this land. 125 acres for $2000 and paid cash. He had 7 kids. He was the commissioner for 3 years of the township. He was a mason. His farm was the best in the township. He was also a civil war vet.
Heres the deal. Its cold and the ground is frozen. I have been thinking of digging wider plugs if i even can putting them in bags and thawing them in the garage.
This leads me to think this site will be loaded. Its just a field now so i know i cant hurt it. Its on a gravel road that doesnt see much use and is close to the road so easy access.
What do you think? should i try it or wait.

I would wait till it all thaws and before anything is planted.
I would assume that would make for a much easier hunt, much less work and less frustrating, and I would think digging plugs like that and taking them away would make the site look like a battlefield, field or no field.
Your way I can imagine you would miss much including some deeper items.

I would definitely wait.
Spring will be here soon enough.

I guess if you are that excited about it, go for it! I have tried digging in winter and it is very difficult to near impossible. If this area is private enough and you know no one else will be there I would somehow mark the spots off until spring.
My quick thought would be to dip some small sticks into a small can of bright paint and bring along your cordless drill with a couple bits you don't care about. Go Detect
Drill near the targets a couple inches
Drop the stick in and hope it is there in the spring.
If I was there I would probably try digging some of the good signals.......

I would assume that would make for a much easier hunt, much less work and less frustrating, and I would think digging plugs like that and taking them away would make the site look like a battlefield, field or no field.

I would definitely wait.

There is no way i will wait til spring. I can wait til it thaws but its eating me up. This site has so much potential.

I guess if you are that excited about it, go for it! I have tried digging in winter and it is very difficult to near impossible. If this area is private enough and you know no one else will be there I would somehow mark the spots off until spring.
My quick thought would be to dip some small sticks into a small can of bright paint and bring along your cordless drill with a couple bits you don't care about. Go Detect
Drill near the targets a couple inches
Drop the stick in and hope it is there in the spring.
If I was there I would probably try digging some of the good signals.......

I actually thought about turning my sensitivity way down use my pinpointer for shallow targets. If i can hit it with my pinpointer i would be able to get a target out im thinking

Do it now, waiting sucks...I've done this before and it works for retrieving coins without damaging them, using a big shovel and a sledgehammer. Locate a good target, pound the ground to crack the frost, leaving a foot diameter or so 'plug' in the center, then pry it out with the shovel. The activity keeps you plenty warm, and it's not like you're going to mess up someone's lawn:lol:...

I would definitely wait.

I agree w/digger......:yes:

Get out for the "easy/diggable?" targets for now. Sensitivity low and clean out the toppers.. if you must get your fix;) Hauling chunks of ground seems like a hassle. Esp if it is private and not a lot of competition for you. Good luck

Yeah I would grab up the easily retrievable targets, and mark the ones you cannot get to with a golf tee, for when it thaws enough to get them. The plugs themselves will thaw out like the rest and melt back into the surrounding ground.

I agree with some of the others. Go ahead and clean the top layer of targets out then after thaws come for the deep awesome stuff.

Back
Top Bottom