Muddy headphones

KB Digger

Hey everyone. I have a dumb question but I really would like to know how to solve this. I just bought my first headset (wireless) to work with my AT Pro. It was very muddy last hunt and everytime I went to use my pinpointer, I moved my headphones off my ears - each time with muddy hands the headphones got very muddy, thus so did I. What do you all do -- just don't hit the muddy areas? :wow:

There's no getting around that unless you avoid the muddy areas. Here where I'm at the mud is unavoidable right now due to the January thaw.

The only other option is to wait for it to dry up and hope another hunter doesn't retrieve the targets before you do.

Not sure what kind of pin pointer you have. I never take my headphones off can hear the pin pointer just fine I have a Garrett orange one. The only other way would be to carry a small cloth with you might help some.

Wear gloves in the mud, when you remove the headphones takes the gloves off revealing clean hands! No dirty headphones or hair :cool: HH!

My black widows are designed to block out noise very well.

They have a small switch on the side that allows me to mute the phones when I want to talk or pinpoint.

If you can't mute your headphones, turn the volume down on the detector when pinpointing.

Also, does your pin pointer have vibration to help with that?

I wipe off my pinky on my pants and lift the headphones by the band just above the cuff and move them behind my ear. then replace them the same way. Still gets a little dirty but better than taking you whole muddy hand on the outside of the cuff

Thats one of the reasons I use ear buds, they are not bulky, let prone to get muddy, and alleviate all of the actual headaches that headphones create. Headphones give me sever headaches and I just can't wear them. Quality ear buds are great!

Uh...don't use your dirty digging hand to remove the headphones:lol: Use the clean one that holds the detector...

Even when I'm trying to, I can't manage to keep both hands clean for ten seconds once I get out of the truck.

After my second hunt (in the 20's and snowing that day, IIRC) there was so much mud caked on the foam handle of my new detector I was a little embarrassed. Then I noticed how much got up under the plastic shield. This seems to happen most of the time I'm out. I get a little mud on my headphones, I get some in my hair, even after I wash them you can still see where the kneepads and boots were on my detecting jeans...

If it's not a long retrieval of the target & pin pointing was spot on in the plug,
Generally I can hear/feel the vibration with my carrot pp
I sometimes turn the sensitivity down on my detector before I dig,
so the headphones go silent when I'm in the hole.
I keep a small TOWEL in my pouch, it serves many purposes,
a ground mat to help refill my plug, and to clean my hands.
I might wipe my hands in the grass, or I might remove my gloves.
Muddy conditions can be a pain :mad:

Last edited:
This is the main reason I don’t use quality earphones. Seriously, I just get whatever earphones. They work fine and I never take them off because there's no seal around my ears and I can hear just fine.

Besides, that way, if I destroy them it's no big deal.

41Q0D0P2EBL._SY300_.jpg

Thanks everyone for the replys

You all offer great suggestions that I will use - it was just my first time with headphones so I need to practice and get used to them -- again thanks! Hope to post some pictures of future successful digs:D

Thats one of the reasons I use ear buds, they are not bulky, let prone to get muddy, and alleviate all of the actual headaches that headphones create. Headphones give me sever headaches and I just can't wear them. Quality ear buds are great!

I agree and LOVE ear buds. Especially in the hot weather.
The problem is my 2 best permission sites sit right on a very busy state route.

At those sites, there's waaay too much ambient noise to use the ear buds, or even "on the ear" phones.

I needed "over the ear" cups that also offer HIGH outside noise cancellation.
The Black Widows allow me to turn the detector volume all the way up so the deep, but quiet, whisper signals get passed along to the headphones. Then, I can use the headphone volume knobs to make sure the sound level hitting my ear is comfortable.

At those sites, that's impossible to do with buds.

Back
Top Bottom