Headphone Projects. On going... Posi-Loc H2O waterproof DONE!! 6/2

SavingThePast

Forum Supporter
Edit 5/24: I decided to make this an on going thread with all my different headphones projects included. I have built a few sets now and am enjoying it.
My hardest project was my Posi-Loc MW(Minelab Wireless)and I just finished the last update to them which can be seen here..

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=213316

All future builds will be put into this thread...I have another wireless build on going(can see pieces in photos of white Posi-Loc headphones and they are using some of the internals of the Auvio 33-283 wireless which will make them universal for just about any detector.

hey all,
Just completed another set of phones. This set is 600 ohm, dual volume, compatibility switch(3 position-includes ctx), and removable locking cord. This set I went a step farther and the inside is lined with foam and the speakers are mounted in cork! I wish you all could here them as they sound unbelievable! I have Airforcemike giving them a go at gominelabing this weekend...

Attachments

• pl.jpg
    pl.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 510
  • pl2.jpg
    pl2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 534
  • pl3.jpg
    pl3.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 599
  • pl4.jpg
    pl4.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 608
  • pl5.jpg
    pl5.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 640
Last edited:
I'm liking those, except for the red....

That removable cord is key IMO.. Then you could adapt an ATP (or anything) cord to it.. Someday I am going to be looking for phones that are nearly waterproof but don't sound like a piezo.. Every piezo I've heard sounds like piezo chit...:lol:

My stock ATP phones have been poured on and dropped in the water more than a couple times now, the pots are getting pretty dirty.. But they still work 1000X better than a piezo speaker set up...

I've read something about using Gore Tex to protect the ear side of the speakers from water...

<*)))>{

thanks guys! these are for my racer(red). I also have a set I am building that are dk blue and a set of white(both are the narrower versions so not quite as much nise reduction). The white ones I am turning into a set of completely wireless using some of the guts out of a set of the auvio 33-283 headphones. I am also going to have the cord setup on them too though so they can be used either way..

Alright all, here is my next set. I just finished them today. They are the super slim cups and have dual volume, 3 position compatibility switch(includes the ctx), removable locking cord, and 600 ohm speakers. The inside is lined with foam but this pair I decided to use red speaker mounts as I like the white, black, red theme...lol. This pair doesnt have as much outside noise blockage for the areas where you still want to hear a little of the outside surroundings. Eventually, I want to build a single cup version but not sure at what point...

Attachments

• wh4.jpg
    wh4.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 475
  • wh3.jpg
    wh3.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 472
  • wh2.jpg
    wh2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 428
  • wh.jpg
    wh.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 406
  • wh5.jpg
    wh5.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:
I was able to see this project in action along with hear them, man they are nice bro Awesome Job!! I had the pleasure to listen and feel how these phones a few weeks back at Minelab Days. Lightweight acoustically sound and streamline just like I prefer. I am a chefphone type of guy and the feel and sound as good if not better than my CP6's. Overall style and craftmanship...stunning. Thanks for letting me try them bro.

Last edited:
Thanks brother! I Appreciate it!! I wish you could have ran them all day long.

Last edited:
New Project! Posi-Loc H2O headphones. Here is my plan all. I am starting a build of a set of waterproof headphones to use with my ctx(or another machine if I ever own one). These are going to be dual volume with removable cord(cord switch outs to atpro, etc. possible) and a mute switch. I received most of my items for them the last couple days but am still waiting on the mute switch to arrive. All components are either ip67 rated or ip68 except for the speakers which are 600 ohm and are being placed in a waterproof(hopefully..lol) mount. These aren't for diving as ip67 is only rated to a depth of 1m so about 3 ft. which I don't ever really plan on having my head under that far.
I am thinking it may be better to do separate posts with pics describing them so its is more understandable. If I knew how to add single pics with a description above each I would but don't so here we go....:laughing:

starting off I bought a set of pro ears ultra pro 30 ear muffs. Also in this post is showing the grills/mounts the speakers will be installed in...

Attachments

• w6.jpg
    w6.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 432
  • w.jpg
    w.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 437
  • w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 426
first order of business was removing the printed pro ears logo from the cups and getting all my goodies in order...

Attachments

• w9.jpg
    w9.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 433
  • w8.jpg
    w8.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 352
Nice work man!!

Stay on it, looking forward to being able to buy some one day from you!!!

<°)))>{

my next step was finding some very thin black plastic so I could cut it and install it with epoxy inside the speaker mount holes for water protection from the front side and hopefully not having the sounds muffled much. A Friend at the machine shop milled me out a hole punch which is what I have been using to make mount holes for my other hp projects. I used it on this one to get the little black circles and then used epoxy to place them inside. I then had the same friend turn down some pvc end caps for a perfect fit over the rim of the speaker mount which will then be mounted over the back side of the speakers. If you can see in the pic there is a recessed area on the caps. That will be drilled for the wires to come from the speakers and then epoxy poured into them... This is where I stand with the project at this moment. I am going to start drilling holes and mounting components. Not sure when I will get more updates but will take photos along the way. I am wanting to have these completed in the next few days as we are leaving for florida next thursday and I want them to make the trip. I don't expect my ip67 switch until monday or I think I would have them finished this weekend. I am also hoping to do a video of the first test run in the bathtub. will they live or will they die?:laughing::laughing:

Attachments

• w3.jpg
    w3.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 442
  • w4.jpg
    w4.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 425
  • w5.jpg
    w5.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 433
  • w7.jpg
    w7.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 364
Nice work man!!

Stay on it, looking forward to being able to buy some one day from you!!!

<°)))>{

never saw this Ice. must have posted while I was adding posts..:laughing: Thanks buddy, I am enjoying the projects, It actually takes my mind off the real world for just that little bit of time...

my next step was finding some very thin black plastic so I could cut it and install it with epoxy inside the speaker mount holes for water protection from the front side and hopefully not having the sounds muffled much.

That would be the perfect place to use GoreTex fabric I would think..

Very cool!!

<°)))>{

That would be the perfect place to use GoreTex fabric I would think..

Very cool!!

<°)))>{

probably so. The plastic was easy..its really thin and I am thinking/hoping it has minimal sound loss. My gg amphibians are mounted behind plastic and its thicker than what I used so I am hoping I will be ok. if it weren't for the cross sections in the grills giving support and epoxy put on them to hold the discs I couldn't have used it. its thin enough that you can crumble it in your hand...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom