January Thaw....Silver #5&6 FTY In a Big Way!

JNimons

Forum Supporter
Past week of mild temps and rain has the ground diggable again. Got to my #1 Field at 7am this morning...hunted till noon.. this field is really stingy lately. First 2 hours gave me a clad quarter that was on top of the grass.I got into an area where I found a lot of mid 1800s coins. ..and found a spot with a ton of Square nails...decided to head back to my truck and grab the Sunray X5 coil for the Etrac. It has proven to be able to sniff out coins among nails. Heading back to the truck I got a squeaker...was running NEL Tornado..sound was there....#s weren't. ..really wet spot of the property...dug the 44 Merc. Spent a couple hours with the X5.....wow those square nails are brutal.....dug a bunch...but managed a Fatty I.H....has shield....so I believe 1860 to 64. Left there at noon and headed to my newest farm permission. ..got to hunt some new areas...a sledding area...and spent a little time in front yard. Dug the Franklin half
And the 2 wheats on the sledding hill..along with the doggy brooch. Also dug another bird tag..this one from 1946.headed to the front yard as I was losing light...got a screaming...solid deep signal...had Copper written all over it...10 inches down dig the monster square nail!!!....!!!!!!!... Fill the hole get ready to walk away and swing over it...sounds even better now....12 inches down dug the mammoth D buckle.

Puts me at 6 silver...4 wheats...and 1 I.H. FTY....

Any ideas on this buckle/ latch?

Last edited:
Great finds!!! And great descriptive writeup !!

Grats on the fatty...Never had one yet.......What did that ring up as?? Were you ever able to get any more detail on it? throw up another pic if you do.....
Nice hunt......

Damn! Those are awesome.
You were able to find two coins in one hunt which I have not found in over 7 years of detecting.
The elusive Fatty and Benny:lol::laughing:

Congrats on Big Ben, the Merc, Indian and the relics...fine hunt!

Thanks Bruce!!!

Very nice finds! Congrats!! :digginahole:

Thank you Sir

Great finds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Vic! How are you liking the Deus?

Congrats on the Big & Little Silver, etc!

Thank you WC!

Great finds!!! And great descriptive writeup !!

Grats on the fatty...Never had one yet.......What did that ring up as?? Were you ever able to get any more detail on it? throw up another pic if you do.....
Nice hunt......

Thanks Bob! I believe it rang up 12-21 with Sunray X5 coil. Spent a little toothpick time with it....got a date, 1861

Damn! Those are awesome.
You were able to find two coins in one hunt which I have not found in over 7 years of detecting.
The elusive Fatty and Benny:lol::laughing:

Thanks Mat....That's only my 2nd Ben. My first one was when I was 13, back in 1979. My Dad bought me a Whites 6000/D and it was the first coin I found with it!

Great weather for us here in CT.. I got out too.. You did quite well, very nice..

Thank you! Was beautiful...heading out for a couple hours before dark now

Great hunting John congrats!

Thank you Jeff!!!

Looks like your off to a Good start for 2017 ! :D
Nice saves on those silvers ...
The Westminster kennel club championships are in a few weeks,
I think you may have the ugliest dog award. :laughing:
It must have been the runt of the litter :laughing:

Looks like your off to a Good start for 2017 ! :D
Nice saves on those silvers ...
The Westminster kennel club championships are in a few weeks,
I think you may have the ugliest dog award. :laughing:
It must have been the runt of the litter :laughing:

Thank you...and thanks for the laugh!!!

Congrats on the silver and nice assortment of finds.

Thanks Jason!

Nice mix with big silver , Congrats. HH

Thanks Ricki!!!!

Nice finds. Looks like part of a clasp to a diary.

Dennis

Good call on the diary clasp...didn't think that....and Thank you!

Great hunt congrats!

Is that a snake buckle?

Thanks Treb!! When I dug it it crossed my mind because I saw Brad dig one on the last Hoover Boys episode. I kind of forgot about it. Sure enough.....I just went and looked at it...I believe it is....one side broken...

Now that's stepping on the gas! I'll have what you're having please....fantastic!!

Thank you IDX.....will never be in your guys league!!!

Back
Top Bottom