CS belt buckle

StratTone

Elite Member
Needless to say I was about shaking when I dug this up. I knew there were good replicas out there so I didn't want to get to excited. The research I've seen so far says it's a rare type that is commonly faked. I don't want to clean it anymore until someone looks at it here. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_9580.jpg
    IMG_9580.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,172
  • IMG_9581.jpg
    IMG_9581.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,184
  • IMG_9582.jpg
    IMG_9582.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,125
Looks good, I think the big questions are how deep was it? What kind of an area was it found in? Are there other civ relics around? Those should guide you to a good answer.

That's where I worry. It was at a school built in the 40s and I didn't find any other old relics. First time hunting there and was only there for 2 hours. Depth was 5 inches and the location is Macon GA so there was lots of confederate soldiers in the area.

Lots of Confederates would have returned to the Macon area. Could have been a kid who sneaked it from his dad or grandpa and lost it at school playing at recess.

I vote for it being real. Does not have to be in a Civil War camp or battle field. When the war was over Sherman allowed the Confederate soldiers to return home with their uniforms and horses. That was a fact I recovered from lots of research in to the Civil War in Georgia.

Lots of Confederates would have returned to the Macon area. Could have been a kid who sneaked it from his dad or grandpa and lost it at school playing at recess.

I vote for it being real. Does not have to be in a Civil War camp or battle field. When the war was over Sherman allowed the Confederate soldiers to return home with their uniforms and horses. That was a fact I recovered from lots of research in to the Civil War in Georgia.

That is exactly what I was thinking. I figured there was there scenerios. It's been there and dirt moving over the years put it there, kid brought a real one and lost it, or kid wore a replica.

The depth makes it sound like it could be real. You definitely don't need anything else around, but it wasn't in the grass roots you know?

Amazing find, and I hope its real. The belt hooks appear to be old, and werent those buckles made out of lead? I would think that the replicas would have been made out of brass.

Apparently one thing that’s very difficult to fake is the look/patina of the piece itself. Yours LOOKS like it’s been sitting in the ground for some time. Get in touch with someone who deals in buckles, not just a general CW dealer. A lot of them will tell you it’s a fake because it’s rare and an unlikely find. Where it was found will lead them to this conclusion as well. It could be in its original drop spot or it could’ve been trucked in, who knows. Of course it’s possible it’s a fake. But the patina tells me otherwise.

Just about the best CW relic you can find there wow!
Maybe take a dry toothbrush clean the back and look for any initials or markings. This one looks original.

Back
Top Bottom