Most silver coins in a day ?

Tom_in_CA

Elite Member
Hey gang : For those of you who do beach erosion chasing, what is the most silver in a day you've ever gotten ?

My personal best was 46 silver (and over 100 wheaties that particular day). I've heard of some guys in my area, and in So. CA, that got over 100 silver in a day, during some past epic erosion events . Eg.: Signals so fast and furious it would be multiple beeps with every swing. And coin counts of 500 + (essentially targets as fast as you could dig).

So let's poll the panel here: Most silver in a day = ?

The most I found in one day was when I hit a patch of these from a beach replentishment site. I think 35-40 for me was my best day.

Overall there were over 250 of these that my friend and I found. Probably thousands taken by beach hunters that year.

8 Reales.

2 gold coins as well that day. Too bad I wasn't there !!!

Attachments

• REALE.jpg
    REALE.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 420
Great day Scuba.

Removed that reference. I hear ya Scuba...agreed !

Last edited:
Lets see?...checking my notes: I got three once! A Walker half, a merc, and a Barber dime! it was at a Habitat for Humanity construction site I noticed while on my way to the beach! Although, I got 80 Mercs (value) one day just shooting shallow clad...Once I got a lot more than that punching a totter and eyeballing for bills..

Attachments

• field of dreams-3.jpg
    field of dreams-3.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 335
  • habitat.jpg
    habitat.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 348
  • may 23-15-1.jpg
    may 23-15-1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 340
I think it was 6 at a beach.
Per forum rules : Tom has to pay us 30% of his silver coins, we take checks and paypal Tom.:lol:

Lets see?...checking my notes: I got three once! A Walker half, a merc, and a Barber dime! it was at a Habitat for Humanity construction site I noticed while on my way to the beach! Although, I got 80 Mercs (value) one day just shooting shallow clad...Once I got a lot more than that punching a totter and eyeballing for bills..

I remember you getting 6 or 7 one day with me. Remember that silver spill that was so deep I had to help you scoop it out? You gave me a silver Washington for helping. :shock:

Of late........my best was 12 silvers and 7 gold, I think the most silver coins for me since 2008 would be around 15 in a hunt..

Last edited:
Back in the mid 70's I remember finding $35 in coins in the wet sand after a monster storm and half of it was silver. Of course, that was only 10 years after silver coins went out of production so maybe that isn't so impressive. I remember visiting a beach hunter's house and he showed me a small chest full of silver half dollars he had found at the beach.
How I wish I knew then what I know now but I was just a dumb kid then.
At the time I probably enjoyed finding silver coins as much as gold rings. Maybe because gold was probably less than $50 an ounce. :yes:

The most I found in one day was when I hit a patch of these from a beach replentishment site. I think 35-40 for me was my best day.

Overall there were over 250 of these that my friend and I found. Probably thousands taken by beach hunters that year. .....

The-rover : I've seen erosion spots like that too, where ..... when I look back in hind-sight, I realize that if I'd been there @ the right time, with the right machine and know-how, that I could have topped 100 silver easily. Oh to only be able to "go back in time" with what I know now :)

35 silver coins was my best. I found 6 gold rings that day also.

Ah, that would have been the corollary question: Most gold rings in a day. I've heard of 12 to 15-ish gold rings in a day here, during the 1982-83 erosion event. And that was the year that a few guys got 100 silver coins in a day (sometimes for multiple days in a row!)

Lets see?...checking my notes: I got three once! A Walker half, a merc, and a Barber dime! ...QUOTE]

That's ok puppy-mud. What you don't get in silver coin counts, you make up in creative writing skills :)

I think it was 6 at a beach.
Per forum rules : Tom has to pay us 30% of his silver coins, we take checks and paypal Tom.:lol:

metal addict: My check is in the mail to you ! :)

I remember you getting 6 or 7 one day with me. Remember that silver spill that was so deep I had to help you scoop it out? You gave me a silver Washington for helping. :shock:

That was a long time ago. When you gonna be back in this area again ?

Of late........my best was 12 silvers and 7 gold, I think the most silver coins for me since 2008 would be around 15 in a hunt..

7 gold is my best for gold rings in a day. And only did that 1x. I've had several 3 gold ring days, but.... for some reason, gold rings don't like me. I gave up and prefer the old silver . I dunno why, since beach silver is "toast" anyhow. Doh!

My most is 12 from parks which I did twice. Never found a silver coin on the beach.

Jam-flicker, you've conquered the world in your turf skills down there. Now if you guys could just get some serious erosion on your beaches, you'd probably easily make the transition to beach erosion. How close do you live to the beaches down there ?

Back in the mid 70's I remember finding $35 in coins in the wet sand after a monster storm and half of it was silver. ...

That might have been the winter storms of 1977. Although I had a detector then (high school), and lived only 30 min. from the beach, yet I didn't know anything about beach or erosion hunting. Was strictly into school yards at the time. But about 1980, I met some md'r guys from Monterey and Carmel area. And even then , they were STILL talking about an epic 1977 event, where Carmel beach had serious erosion. They described it as silver as fast as you could dig. One guy recalled one of those days where he had something like 15 gold rings in a day. And we're talking about machines like old school Garrets, Compass 77b's or relic magnums, etc.... I bet they were doing good get 3" depth on the wet salt ! But that was all they needed. They said they were sometimes just walking along eye- balling silver coin disks sitting right on top of the sand. Sickening, eh ?

The-rover : I've seen erosion spots like that too, where ..... when I look back in hind-sight, I realize that if I'd been there @ the right time, with the right machine and know-how, that I could have topped 100 silver easily. Oh to only be able to "go back in time" with what I know now :)

That was a long time ago. When you gonna be back in this area again ?

We have pounded this site time and time again. Large lake with a sandbar that extends 150' all around the lake. I got four golds out of there last year alone. Some days you kill it there and some days nothing but junk. Stopped there Sunday and found a silver ID bracelet

Summer of 2013...19 silver coins and 6 pieces of sterling including a recently dropped 65 gram bracelet with 14K accents before the tide came in and ran me off...

Wife found these all in one hole two years ago in a local park.
I have found that many in a day back in the 80s but it seem harder now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bd0acfa97a159f5f8e443acaec59c639.jpg

I think my best was 9 silver coins in one hunt.
I don't pay much attention to silver, it's like white copper.

;)

I think my best was 9 silver coins in one hunt.
I don't pay much attention to silver, it's like white copper.

;)

Hahaha. Too true. I won't pay much attention to it either if I ever get enough experience to get anywhere close to your gold counts. I always enjoy your posts!

(Sorry to hijack the thread)

Back
Top Bottom