Is metal detecting worth it?

I am a newbie and probably shouldn't even post in this thread, but I was hooked at day one. Nothing but clad and trash on day one after only about an hour. On day two found a tube of "brushless shaving cream" no value, but just the thought of finding something in my own backyard that was that dated made me feel like I had found gold.

For me it's the thrill of the hunt. I know the chances of finding some mother lode of gold is almost nil. I'd probably have better luck buying lottery tickets. But being outside anticipating each hunt, planning where to go, doing the research is very rewarding. I also drag my two sons along. One digs, the other fills the holes. At least it keeps them off the video games for awhile. It's especially interesting when you find a historical piece to the area you grew up. All of these are clues as to what happened here years and years ago. What life might have been like. And lastly, meeting fellow metal detectors is the greatest. We can lie about the best places we've been and everyone can tell their own story of a lost treasure nearby. If they only had the time to hunt it all.

I agree with the other posters, think about golf (clubs, balls, greenfees, ocassional carts, and travel etc) fishing (poles, lures, live bait, boats, licenses, hooks etc) hunting, skiing, and any variety of hobbies. Metal detecting relaxes me while getting me off my recliner. I do sometimes wonder what am I doing digging up pulltabs or canslaw. Another thing is if you take care of your equipment, they usually hold value decent when resale is necessary.

Back
Top Bottom