Magnet fishing

So does anyone here ever use this in salt water? Obviously the items won't last as long but I'm thinking about giving it a try. I've seen quite a few expensive items go over in the salt - it just a matter of how long they'll be worth salvaging.

i've always avoided it beause I assume 95% of what you find in the salt (besides some hooks and weights) would be rusted beyond usefulness.

So does anyone here ever use this in salt water? Obviously the items won't last as long but I'm thinking about giving it a try. I've seen quite a few expensive items go over in the salt - it just a matter of how long they'll be worth salvaging.

i've always avoided it beause I assume 95% of what you find in the salt (besides some hooks and weights) would be rusted beyond usefulness.

I treat my magnets with liquid car wax and when I come home I wash them (rope also) and re treat them. Items taken out of salt water that have only been there for a month or so are salvageable in most cases.

Our Friendly forum seems to not have a big magnet fishing following. I had ask for our own separate sub forum for "Magnet Fishing" and was told that it was under consideration but due to the lack of response I am quite sure that we will never see it happen here any time soon. It is to bad because I thought we had it going there for a while.

I think if it had its own spot it would be more popular. Not everyone looks through every heading so threads like this get buried

Our Friendly forum seems to not have a big magnet fishing following. I had ask for our own separate sub forum for "Magnet Fishing" and was told that it was under consideration but due to the lack of response I am quite sure that we will never see it happen here any time soon. It is to bad because I thought we had it going there for a while.

Maybe you could start a thread in the forum "Beach and Water Hunting"
because it is water hunting, just using a magnet.

You could title it something like "Basic Guide and Tips to Magnet Fishing in Water" and after you get enough informative tips on it you could eventually ask if it could be made into a "sticky" but I would wait till you had plenty of educational info on it to have a chance of it being made into a "sticky", still might not happen, but at least the thread might generate more interest in a forum where people who do water hunting go to read and post.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Another idea to generate a little more interest is to occasionally post pics of any interesting finds from magnet fishing.

What is kind of comical is I went diving for a 15lb piece of dock they dropped in the water 11 foot deep. If they would have got a magnet they would have saved 100.00 and got it when they needed it. Took me all of a minute to find it and bring it to the surface. They choose to give me the C note.

So lets be very quiet on these magnets!

Here's a tip--don't get a magnet that is stronger than what you can pull! If it gets stuck on something that won't come up, like a car, for example, you want to be able to pull it off. If it is too strong, you'll end up having to dive for it, and try to pry or slide it off whatever it is stuck to.

Tip #2, make sure your rope is strong enough to pull the full strength of the magnet,

and Tip #3, tie the end of the rope to yourself, so you don't lose it.

That sounds like a Darwinism award. I would never recommend anyone tying them selves off to anything that enters the water.

That sounds like a Darwinism award. I would never recommend anyone tying them selves off to anything that enters the water.

It's unlikely the magnet will pull you into the water. Tying the rope to you prevents you from losing the rope and magnet if you accidentally drop it, (so if you're fishing off a bridge). But tying it to part of the bridge would also work.

I looked into trying this out as well. Watched a bunch of videos and looked up magnets available for purchase online. Looks interesting but I haven't pulled the trigger yet because my wife and I decided that we probably aren't going to put the boat in the water this year. (too many other things going on) I also was fairly confident after watching the videos that I would find a lot of junk.

There is fun and a good feeling when you bring up a $60 Leatherman multi-tool or a $150 dive super LED flashlight. I even enjoy getting a fishing spinner on the magnet. To each his own

Found and dragged in two anchors.

A 15 lb er, I thought I was stuck until I saw bubbles coming up. It was stuck in the sand and muck. The other was a 5 lb er you would use in a canoe.
A 10 inch us made C clamp, A couple leather men several jack knives. A few rods and reels, a police quality flashlight, And a lot of junk. Plenty of lures, and 3 folding beach chairs. It is fun, but secondary to detecting and golf for me. I have 2 magnets the same with decent rope. Most of the good stuff is but a few feet off or directly over the side of a dock or pier. Lots of beer caps. After a while you can tell the bottles and aluminum cans.

Just ordered my Brute magnet, and hope to be out in the field by next week. Would love a separate magnet fishing category in this forum.

Just ordered my Brute magnet, and hope to be out in the field by next week. Would love a separate magnet fishing category in this forum.

We have asked but so far it didnt happen. If we jin up some more interest in the topic maybe we will get it.

Just wonderin’... has anyone ever recovered, while magnet fishing, another magnet, attached to a rope, lost by another magnet fisherman? That sorta reminds me of the metal detecting cartoon of a guy swinging his detector above the X-RAY view of a buried metal detector. 🤪

Jim

Back
Top Bottom