How often do you recharge your wireless headset/ xmtr??

pennypicker

I'm having issues with the battery in my Garrett WT-1 xmtr not holding a charge. I was just told by Garrett to unplug the unit from my detector when not in use and to always wait till the low battery indicator started blinking before I recharge.
Now, I hate leaving to go detecting and not knowing whether I have a full charge or just 2 to 3 hours of battery left. Nowhere in the little manual does it say not to recharge till the light starts blinking, nor does it mention unplugging the device from the detector when not in use.
Doe's anyone here do that, or do you do like I like to do and charge it before every hunt??

Garrett is sending me a new unit and I'd like to start off on the right foot this time.
Thanks for any help,
Jerry

Last edited:
Cant help you with a Garrett, but I charge my CTX wireless unit every time I recharge my CTX battery. Basically every hunt. Modern LiPo smart chargers don't have to wait until the battery is low but again, I cant speak to the quality of the Garrett charger.

If Garrett has failed to provide the necessary charge time/frequency information in the literature that came with the Zlynk units shame on them, they'll be sending out a lot of replacements unless they figure it out.

Of course you charge you equipment BEFORE you head out to the field for a DAY of hunting, we all do that.:yes:

Thanks for the reply Norm. I talked to Rusty at Garrett and he backed off on the unplugging the xmtr from the detector. He said he forgot about the auto off function when not in use. He did say he talked to the engineers about not charging the battery before the light started blinking and they still recommend that. Even though lithium ion batteries supposedly don't require this they think it makes the battery last longer.
Mine was fully charged, used once for a 3 hour hunt, and a week later I went to use it the battery was completely dead. That's what started all this.
No matter what, that just didn't seem right. That's why I have a new xmtr on the way. I will still charge it before every hunt and see what happens. I've got two years to test it out. ;)

Thanks again guys,
Jerry

I recharge mine after every dig and usually leave them hooked long after they are full charged, no problems yet

I have the AT Max wireless headphones and don't charge them after every hunt. I wait until the LED starts blinking, indicating 3 hours of battery power remaining, and then plug them in after that hunt. I keep them in my truck in the back. Never had any issues. So far. A full charge will last a full weekend, at least. I beep (weather permitting) about 12-14 hours on the weekend. and 4-10 hours before work during the week.

Thanks Randy & Steve. Two different methods with no ill results. Guess that backs up my feeling that my first unit was bad.

I bought my Z lynk used, but it was like new because the previous owner had just followed up on a warranty replacement. Either the transmitter or receiver never took a good charge. The replacement unit he received and I purchased from him has been terrific. I've never drained it prior to charging. It's been going at least 10 hours since the last charge and not giving my a low battery alert.

Back
Top Bottom