Eagle II SL ... Is it just me, or is it broken?

sofiap

Hi all!

I was wondering if anybody has any experience with these...
I was really happy when my "new" Eagle II SL arrived in the mail last week.:yes: I ordered it all the way from the US, and I live in Japan. It is my third detector. The first was one that no one has ever heard of, a Famous Trails, the second I recently purchased, an Excalibur II and the third is this Eagle II SL, which I was hoping that my husband would enjoy using. I am not very experienced at metal detecting, but I have been doing it for about a year.

I had heard such good things about the Eagle II, in the reviews and in the forums, it seemed simple and like a good machine, so I ordered it off of Ebay. It was pretty pricey for such an old machine, and at this point, I am kind of wishing that I had bought a newer machine like an M6 or AT Pro for the 250 extra it would have cost:hmmm::?:...

We have used it a few times. I read the manual and it seems that I am properly calibrating it to air and ground. I am not sure what I could be doing wrong.:?: Here are some things that it does.

- After selecting the program and doing AIR/GND, it does not immediately give VDI numbers. I have to press buttons and change stuff for it to respond.
- I cannot seem to adjust the volume.
- When it does give a VDI signal, it is not something that happens over and over. Even if I go over the target several times, the number either does not appear or another number appears. Like 17 or 19, or 85 then something low like 30 something. It often seems really random, especially when things are still in the dirt. Sometimes it isn't random, though, like once we got a can out of the hole, it gave a solid 95 ever time, but when it was in the hole, it was 85 or 34 or 95 or other numbers or no number. The deeper the hole got, the more it gave a 95 or a 05 , which we assumed to be some iron at a deeper level. When we air tested it, it would come up with two signals for my gold wedding ring, and two signals for another piece of jewelry, three signals for a nail clipper. The platinum ring was a 17 or 19 every time.
- Often there is no VDI signal at all, but it still beeps loudly. I thought that this must be iron, but iron has a signal from 00 to 09, right?

We have air tested it, tested it in the mountains in a gravel parking lot, and in a trail area.

I was wondering if it is broken and I should try to send it back and get a different machine,
or
if it is broken but it is such a good machine that I should send it to White's so they can fix it.

If you have the time, I would be ever so grateful for some advice!! Thanks a lot in advance!!

-Sofia

I had an Eagle II SL, the "black box" box and it was a great detector. way ahead of its time. I would take it over an M6 or a 250 (I have had and used both). The tier stacked so to speak menu system can be a bit over whelming but it is not as hard as it seems, just takes a little getting used to, then it becomes second nature. I am not big on detectors with meters but the Eagle II I had was very accurate and it was a deep seeker. I normally used the small 5.3" coil on it and it was as deep or deeper than other detectors with larger coils. If you think there might be a problem with it try giving White's a call, not sure if they still work on that model but if not they can give you some pointers. I suggest reading the manual several times. If I had lots of $$$ to get a bunch of detectors the Eagle II would be high on my list. They sell for big money for good reason. Good luck with it. Steve.

P.S. This is a picture of the one like I had.

Attachments

• EAGLE 2 S & SL.jpg
    EAGLE 2 S & SL.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 195
Yup!

Yup! That's the one!
Actually, we've used her for a while now, and she does act weird, but since we live in Japan, having her shipped to white's and back is an expensive option.
So...we just dig everything.
The great thing about the Eagle IISL is that it knows whether it's iron or not, and it goes deep. It falses quite a bit, though, but that might be part of our calibration issue.

Thanks for the response!!

Cheers,
Sofia P

Back
Top Bottom