Gold numbers on At Pro

scout23

Elite Member
I checked 3 14K gold rings, surprised at the difference. The At Pro was set on 3/4 sens, GB to 85. Makes you really want to dig those "trash" numbers.

Attachments

• rings 14 k.jpg
    rings 14 k.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,400
What does everyone's experience show --

Does white gold generically tend to read lower than yellow gold, as indicated here?

I checked and white gold is gold mixed with palladium and silver, or occasionally platinum. It said white gold used in jewelry today is plated with Rhodium. Rhodium is a member of the platinum family. They coat it by electroplating. Maybe that is why it reads lower, but why would the 2 yellow gold rings be so far apart.

That's what I was thinkin too, but if they're made up as the same metal(14k) wouldn't the difference just show up on the "depth" meter? The thicker ring would appear closer because of the larger surface area. Don't know just find it weird, sure it's just not the AT that would ring these all differently. I know I'll be digging alot more of these signals.

Yeah, gold will most definitely come up in those 'trash' ranges.
The larger the ring, the higher it seems to read. Ladies rings with stones often hit on the foil (40's) range.
I recently had a surface find of a 14K gold chain. On my AT Pro, it reads like a solid nickel.
With my Ace 250 however, all the gold I ever found read as a penny.

readings

Interesting. All the gold I found with my ace 250(this is my first season hunting) was bang on the pull tab mark with maybe the odd flucutation one up or down on land and right on the penny maker in the water, which is still in the gold "zone". All of those numbers the OP posted are well within the gold zone. Size, composition, depth, soil, all affect the readings. Looks pretty normal to me.

One 14k gold ring I found with the Ace 250 rang up as foil. But on the AT Pro it rang up as a nickle. I should have used that one in the comparrison also.

gold zone

Not sure if the AT pro has the same "Gold Zone" scale printed on the face plate for standard mode or not. If it does, you don't want to disc out anything in that zone. It's a pain to dig up all the foil(I wish they would ban foil) but.....it must be done to find gold.

That's what I was thinkin too, but if they're made up as the same metal(14k) wouldn't the difference just show up on the "depth" meter? The thicker ring would appear closer because of the larger surface area. Don't know just find it weird, sure it's just not the AT that would ring these all differently. I know I'll be digging alot more of these signals.
Think about it tho. A silver dime reads lower than a silver half. They are both made of the same alloy, 90% silver. It is the same concept. It is reading higher due to the size of the ring.

Yeah, gold will most definitely come up in those 'trash' ranges.
The larger the ring, the higher it seems to read. Ladies rings with stones often hit on the foil (40's) range.
I recently had a surface find of a 14K gold chain. On my AT Pro, it reads like a solid nickel.
With my Ace 250 however, all the gold I ever found read as a penny.

thats weird because i've found 4 gold rings..3 bands and one with 13 stones in it..and they all rang up as a nickel on my 250. but the small one gram gold bar i found rang up as foil.

I checked and white gold is gold mixed with palladium and silver, or occasionally platinum. It said white gold used in jewelry today is plated with Rhodium. Rhodium is a member of the platinum family. They coat it by electroplating. Maybe that is why it reads lower, but why would the 2 yellow gold rings be so far apart.

I'm guessing size, shape, compositions(gold mixed with what for that K), and possible orientation all contribute to the ## readout.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/group.php?do=discuss&gmid=5753

How is that chart working out Pulltabminer? I remembered you posting this a while back. Someone else posted a simplified version of basically the same thing on another forum but I am having difficulty finding it. Only a couple numbers were off by a count or two. I figure hitting the most likely the first time out real good, the just likely ones the next trip, and then the maybes on the third trip. Hopefully skipping straight to some gold the first trip then clean up the rest of the targets after. Can systematically remove some like object masking this way too I believe. I'm just musing.

Back
Top Bottom