Anyone get an antibody test or understand them?

TheCoilist

Elite Member
So anyone with a medical background here? LOL

I am in a "healthcare family" and we still can't get answers. Maybe someone here has researched it more.

If you get an antibody test, should you return ANY antibodies at all? I took the COVID-19 antibody test. They sucked my blood, and the results were back less than 12 hours later.

You would be POSITIVE if you have more than 15 au/ml
Anything less is a NEGATIVE result.

My question is why would you have ANY specific SARS-CoV-2 antibodies if you were not exposed/previously infected?

My result came back negative, but I had 3.8 au/ml

Maybe the little positive is the result of a different, older virus strain that fooled it, we might be carrying all kinds of stuff in our blood and bodies from ages ago.
Blood test is better than the actual virus test where they stick swabs up your nose...way up your nose.
I have heard it feels a little like this when they do it.

Yes, I had a blood test done for antibodies. The test is specific for SARS-CoV-2. I had it done because of my previous travels and people having gotten sick around me as I was slightly sick. However, this was months ago.

My wife is a nurse and just had her active test (nasal swab) and is waiting for results. She is traveling to New York next week to see family and a new born. But because of the travel, she doesn’t have time to self isolate for two weeks.

Long story short, we are trying to find out why any antibody specific for SC2 would be present. No information. Even the testing type they performed doesn’t give the information as to why one could have lower than the 15 au/ml and be negative.

Too many unknowns still for sure.

What we know now vs what we know in the future might be very different...and there is still a lot to learn about this strain.
The thing about these tests is they may help to pinpoint people that have it and people that might have had it but not a lot about what we can do about it.
Supposedly there has never been such worldwide effort to find a vaccine and here and there are optimistic reports about progress but who really knows when that will happen or even if that will happen or exactly how they plan on inoculating people on a world wide basis if one is developed.
Just gotta wait and see.

Last edited:
What we know now vs what we know in the future might be very different...and there is still a lot to learn about this strain.
The thing about these tests is they may help to pinpoint people that have it and people that might have had it but not a out what we can do about it.
Supposedly there has never been such worldwide effort to find a vaccine and here and there are optimistic reports about progress but who really knows when that will happen or even if that will happen or exactly how they plan on inoculating people on a world wide basis if one is developed.
Just gotta wait and see.
Or how they plan on inoculating people that refuse the vaccine.

I was selected for a study at The University of Utah. I've never had any symptoms. The test came back negative.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200620-131810_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200620-131810_Gallery.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 259
That’s very interesting! Because mine gave a value of 3.8 and came back as negative.

After all the research I am guessing I was exposed, but my number had dropped due to the amount of time that had passed between my having been sick and the antibody test.

I had traveled to New York last September for a wedding in Brooklyn. Of course we did all the touristy stuff while there as well. We traveled back home to Michigan with no obvious illnesses.

A week later my son got sick. During that time I had to travel to Texas to help my mother pack up and move. So now a couple weeks from our NY trip, I got sick. During the drive back to Michigan, my brother got a little sick. I had to see a doctor and I was diagnosed with “acute bronchitis” which I am no stranger to due to having chronic sinusitis. This felt different. Antibiotics did not work, etc.

A week or two after my diagnosis, my mother had gotten severely ill while still in Texas. Then they started dropping like flies! She infected her realtor, her sister, her mother. Realtor was hospitalized for pneumonia, my aunt was diagnosed with “unknown acute bronchitis” and my mom refused to see a dr before driving to Michigan from Texas.

On her drive, she had to stop and stay at a hotel because she was unable to drive and super sick. After a few days in a hotel room my wife (a nurse) drove down to Oklahoma to bring her the rest of the way. She had every symptom of covid-19. 104 fever, etc.

Got back to Michigan and went straight to the ER. ER diagnosed her with acute bronchitis. Antibiotics didn’t work and her illness lasted over a month before she started to feel better.

Long story long, I’m thinking we were exposed long before the official time periods they are saying it was here in the states. I know they are suggesting November as the earliest time frame and are looking into mysterious respiratory illnesses during that time. Our time frame was mid-September to November.

Just a strange coincidence possibly, who knows.

Btw, acute bronchitis is not a virus in itself, but a symptom or condition caused by bacteria or a virus. Bacterial infections generally are not contagious like viruses are. Particularly for respiratory illnesses.

My understanding that SARS-CoV-2 is a nasty strain of the common cold. Put another way, the common cold is caused by other coronaviruses.

Given the structural outer shell similarity and mRNA similarity of all coronavirues, it seems reasonable that if you have been exposed to one (via a common cold in the past), that some antibodies would present that would show up in a test for a different coronavirus (i.e., SARS-CoV-2).

So it would seem that the SARS-CoV-2 test is designed to be specific enough to that virus, but could pick up antibodies to previous coronavirus infections (e.g. a cold last year). Thus, you test positive for previous coronavirus infection, but not specific enough to meet the threshold for positive for SARS-CoV-2, if that makes sense.

I am not a doctor or a virologist, but I do read a lot of science. I'm just throwing this out there, FWIW, as a possible explanation.

I had the antibody test at work (essential employee). It came back negative, but the guy ahead of me came back "inconclusive" and they sent him to have an actual covid 19 test done. They sent me back to work.

my antibody test showed negative 0.0 Monday. we had a sick relative come from Florida vacation Jan 3rd, for his mothers untimely death not covid related. he had gotten very sick, and has very bad asthma and this is not new for him.
he was coughing sneezing chugged feverish. by 7 days 10 of us were sick. then covid came to light some time later. i figured i had it.. nope.. so it says. we went to med stop and got steroid shot, z pack and cough drop when we got sick. i was 62 and wife 58 and we both have asthma and me diabetes. i recovered quickly wife did not.

my wife is awaiting her results now.

I had the worst fall-time health I've ever had, beginning in November 2019, and just rode it out. I am "one of those types of stubborn men." I figure I was asymptomatic, I've always good health from my daddy's side."

I discussed with a buddy of mine about asymptomatic and testing. He snapped, "I don't want to pay for needless testing." I read that asymptomatic Covid19 people make up about 50-80% of the cases, and asymptomatics are possibly the biggest infectious reasons for spreading the disease.

My friend hated the Democrats, but why doesn't people realize that health testing is imperative to controlling this virus. Mind you, I detect Trump, but at value common sense, and if I want to offer myself as a specimen and possibly a donator of white cells to help others? It is simply wrong to turn down a donor and make me pay $160.

Asymptomatic percentages just make this "I don't want to pay for your test." This time in history is bad, if we let politics stop medical tests.

Back
Top Bottom