Ummm - You Missed the Target, Dummy!

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
Last week I posted about spotting a surface Injun while detecting a farm field - I even got my swagger on: “spotted it from 6 feet away”, “did better with my eyeballs than the detector”, etc...who needs a detector, right?

See the thread here: I Love When This Happens!

Well, clearly I angered the karma gods, and they put me back in my place during my hunt on Friday! I went back to the same field for a couple hours, and eventually got over a nice, solid, consistent Indian Head tone. Brimming with confidence, I didn’t bother to pinpoint other than the quick “X” from swinging over the target from various directions - I just attacked the ground with my shovel and turned a plug. Bent down and gave the hole a swish with my pinpointer, and nothing - not a peep. “Hmmm...must be in the plug or deeper down. I hope it isn’t deeper - that signal sounded pretty shallow”, I thought as I stood back up, worried that “deeper” meant “junkier”. I grabbed the detector and ran it over the plug...nothing. “Uh-oh”, I thought. Ran it over the hole...still nothing :?: “Wtf”, I thought.

Then I moved the coil around the edges of the hole, and at the exact same time I heard the solid 19, I finally saw it:

96DAF115-0BD2-484C-9000-0929E6684FC4.jpg

010C3B4C-10B6-46B9-8C88-EAED35782D1A.jpg

D06F849A-8672-4BFE-80FC-A3EF02155B28.jpg

72FAB494-C56E-403C-8374-724284CE8F1D.jpg

Well, I just had to laugh at myself :lol: Guess I need that detector after all!! And despite the mild smack down from the detecting gods, I still got to enjoy the thrill of plucking another coin right off the surface :cool3: That’s 3 total surface coins, and all of them came out of this field!

I managed I few other neat finds on the hunt: 2 more V nickels, another Indian, a fork (also on the surface), and a wonderful old trade token.

11D90FCF-BC1F-44E9-B54D-DD99C0DDC985.jpg

DFBC5010-C890-4281-BB91-F5D7F9055DDB.jpg

529CD0AB-C7D2-4824-BFE9-71982AF68AC6.jpg

I managed to get a solid ID on the fork thanks to the maker’s mark stamp on the back, which reads “Wm A Rogers Nickel Silver Oneida Ltd”. This website identifies it as the “Alden” pattern from 1931.

97AE56B2-4D97-46A8-AC28-01A5277863B2.jpg

3C6B4DDA-D10D-4D6B-91D2-1F4D306A7E41.jpg

The 1904 V cleaned up nicer than most of my others, and shows pretty nice detail front and back. The 1906 looked pretty crusty, to the point I was doubting I’d even get a date off of it. But careful use of toothpicks, Andre’s pencils, and very light touches of 0000 steel wool brought out the date nicely and more detail than I could have hoped for!

81450860-3561-4E5D-BD85-561F7BF0F2FD.jpg

289E5B6A-C0F3-4CAE-90D1-D426D8673AF2.jpg

87E482D9-F06F-4A04-8389-51E3BFCCA96A.jpg

The surface Indian didn’t clean very well, but looks like either 1886 or 1885. The other one is 1898, and cleaned up fairly well.

86EA643D-EF32-45EF-B1EA-E200DDAE33E7.jpg

CCD88030-3F17-44AB-AAA1-FAD6FBB31FF6.jpg

The trade token is one of my favorites so far despite the bend! Because it was bent and the shape, I originally thought it was just a bit of brass. But I soon saw the incuse lettering front and back, indicating that it might be pretty old. I love its unusual diamond shape! The history already seems a bit interesting on this one - I found a W.S. Trichler who was very local to the area, but he was a doctor in 1896 and the county coroner from at least 1898 to 1902. Perhaps he opened a bar when he retired?? Based on some of the things I’ve read that he saw while Coroner, he’d need a stiff drink....

EC3FEB02-CFA4-480C-8364-BF208C75EA76.jpg

A93215C3-F8BC-4272-A940-1A0BD76024F7.jpg

160A69A9-54C6-4A03-9DF3-D14A7F26FD59.jpg

Last edited:
For those interested in the cleaning progression for the 1906 V nickel, here are some additional pictures showing before, mid, and post cleaning.

Before cleaning, front and back (no idea which is which!):

CEAC2293-B0B1-412C-AD70-482ACA09DE6E.jpg

125FC372-00D0-4A4D-8A71-72351B684F9E.jpg

Mid cleaning - on my basement work table which is a pine style wood...kinda messed with the color contrast of the images:

80DAE0B8-1071-4751-ABBF-B4C35C2AB548.jpg

6ADE23C8-1541-4D8F-A7DB-5EEF5F5C93BC.jpg

Final product as seen above:

Attachments

• 9DCC4D1F-D97E-4B2E-915D-DFE5AE81C45F.jpg
    9DCC4D1F-D97E-4B2E-915D-DFE5AE81C45F.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 510
  • 07FA3CF0-3B91-4C21-BFB6-C87BB8BBE23C.jpg
    07FA3CF0-3B91-4C21-BFB6-C87BB8BBE23C.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 463
Congratulations on the nice batch of finds, love the tokin. Heh who needs a detector anyway, just a lot of added expense.[emoji4]

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Another productive day for you nice job. Love the local history with the token.
With all the rain we are still getting it's nice to be able to take advantage of the fields. Beep and dig!!

Some very nice digging Ben. Congrats on the Indian's. the "V's" and all the rest. Always great to have a nice set of eyeballs. I fail miserly with eye sight, its the reason I put my posts in bold and larger size. Trapper

Great story and finds. Congratulations. I don't feel so bad now AND I am not going to elaborate. lol.

Great hunt Ben. Coins on edge seem to pinpoint off center of coil, the important thing is you found it. You have a great site there, By the way I enjoy reading the way you research your finds. Great job. HH Mark

Excellent token man....finding squares and diamonds....good stuff! Heading out to poke around at an old school in a couple minutes, maybe I'll find a triangle!!

Heh who needs a detector anyway, just a lot of added expense.[emoji4]

No, no, no - those are the thoughts that got the detecting gods angry with me in the first place! :lol:

Great finds! Nice job cleaning those nickels too!

Thanks cellr! It was actually pretty fun getting them cleaned up - 1906 was a real challenge to clean with out going too far (for my tastes) and cutting through the patina.

Another productive day for you nice job. Love the local history with the token.
With all the rain we are still getting it's nice to be able to take advantage of the fields. Beep and dig!!

Thanks Dan! Yeah - the wet weather has been crazy! And the few days that have been somewhat dry, I’ve been stuck working. But if it keeps up, wel’ll definitely get an extended field hunting season - and I thought last year was late!

Very nice job on those Vs!

Thanks StratTone! They were fun to find...and clean! The 1906 was challenging - I really didn’t expect it to give up any good detail or a date, so I’m perfectly happy with the end result!

Some very nice digging Ben. Congrats on the Indian's. the "V's" and all the rest. Always great to have a nice set of eyeballs. I fail miserly with eye sight, its the reason I put my posts in bold and larger size. Trapper

Thanks Trapper! Some days I feel like I’ve got eagle eyes but on most others, like this one, reality sets in :lol:

Great story and finds. Congratulations. I don't feel so bad now AND I am not going to elaborate. lol.

:laughing: Glad I could ease your pain! :lol:

Nice finds! Thanks for all the pics!

Thanks NCtoad! Thanks for looking! It was actually a bit of a chore attaching all those, and I was worried I was going overboard, so I’m glad the effort is appreciated!

Nice digs and enjoyed the pics with the story.

Thanks Yooper!

Looks like a great outing! And such an informative write up too, thanks for sharing!

Thank you, sandgroper! Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did :yes:

Great hunt Ben. Coins on edge seem to pinpoint off center of coil, the important thing is you found it. You have a great site there, By the way I enjoy reading the way you research your finds. Great job. HH Mark

Thanks Mark! You know, I hadn’t even thought about the fact the coin was partly on edge - I’m sure that’s exactly why my rough pinpoint was off a bit. I’m usually pretty accurate, so I was genuinely surprised at the time to see it where it was. Thanks for mentioning that - turns out this is a great real world example of a concept that gets talked about often on the forum :yes:

Thanks for mentioning the research, too - it’s is a big part of what has me hooked on the hobby. For me, researching and learning more about the finds is just as much fun as finding them, just in a different way. In my opinion, it’s the history that gives the finds their value and makes them worth finding in the first place :cool:

Excellent token man....finding squares and diamonds....good stuff! Heading out to poke around at an old school in a couple minutes, maybe I'll find a triangle!!

Thanks teotw! This token just screams out “different era”! In my book, squares, diamonds, and triangles beat circles almost every time! And congrats, that old school hunt turned out quite well :yes:

Brimming with confidence, I didn’t bother to pinpoint other than the quick “X” from swinging over the target from various directions -

Why do you do that? If you have a DD coil, you can just wiggle it back and forth across the D line, and isolate the target backwards until it's at the top tip...

With concentric coils, you have to use the X method to isolate a target, but not with the DD coil. Just wiggle backward until it's at the top of the coil, and the target it at the tip.

Saves SO much time, and in my opinion, is one of the greatest features of the DD coil! When I have surface targets, they're always at the eye point at the top of the coil!

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom