• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Old golf course worth hunting?

CopperMike

Elite Member
Found the site of an old golf course in a book at the libary that I never knew existed, the map was dated 1930 but I do not know when it was built or when it was ploughed under, I do know it was built sometime after 1905.

Not sure where the parking area was or anything for that matter, its a cotton field now, Think it would be worth looking into and getting permission? Its kinda far from my house and I would only be able to hunt it 3-4 times a year after harvest and during winter.
The elementary school on the old map is still standing and I am trying to find the owner(s). Thanks for any advice.

Walk aimlessly until you find a hot spot with goodies starting to show up! But yes, I would hunt that for sure!

ball washing stations, tee-offs, would be a couple spots to find something I would think

Yeah the areas by the T-offs would be good. Maybe by the club house and where they would return their carts if there is grass over there. Good luck.

Hunt the tee box areas, I'm sure change has fallen out of the golfers' pockets when they reached in to grab a tee. Looks like a winner..Best of luck!!

Heck yes, you should (must) hunt it!! Golfers have money, golfers lose rings and change all the time. They used a silver dime to spot their ball location while they were waiting their turn! I'm also impressed you knew to type "ploughed" in your thread. I would have dumbed it up and put "plowed!"

Nice find! See if you can find an overhead at historicaerials.com (may go back to around 1960). If you can happen to dig up an old scorecard, it may have a course diagram on it.

Like others have said, tee boxes, greens, club house and parking lots are where golfers are putting their hands in their pockets and pulling out things like tees and gloves. The club house may have had a window for food items.

Since it's an older course, you may find plenty of spikes since metal/steel spikes were used up until probably around 20+ years ago.

Agreed you won't find anything of interest out on the greens, golf course grass it far to well kept to lose anything. Club house, out house :), parking areas, and bench locations.

yes i think it would be a good spot. Heres the way i see it. Who went golfing in those days, rich guys with there hands in and out of there pockets all day pulling out golf tees.

I too would try and get permission and hunt it if you got it. It may though be one of those frustrating sites until you find some of the generally good areas. Since the school is still there I would hunt that more with some probing searches into the old course.

Plus over the years of the farmer running his plow thru the field will spread stuff around, could be coins almost anywhere, I would hunt it in a heartbeat!

A lot of guys settle up there bets after each hole. Go find those skins. Quarter a hole is typical probably a bunch a halfs and silver dollars.. I'm thinking

YES!!!....One of my very best 'Clad-Count' Days was from a closed-up Golf Course Gravel parking lot.....:cool:

Thanks for the replies guys, I will try and hunt it if I can run down the farmer, i'll let you know if I can get permission.
Hey Jellyfish historicaerials.com would be awsome but unfortunately that does not cover my state:(

Check with the locals!

Never hurts to check around with the seniors. I've found out lots of history from the older generation about what used to be where. Go to your local senior citizen's center, or go to the nearest golf course and probably an ole' timer around there that may remember the layout of that golf course! Good luck!

Find the greens!!!! A coin, such as a quarter, is a great ballmarker. I've been golfing since I was 5 and have always used a coin.

Back
Top Bottom