Still practicing in Huntington Beach.

02WinDixieGT

Huntington Beach, Orange County California
Went for my third night out with my new ace 150. From 8:00 til around beach curfue (10:00). Managed to scoop up .71¢. Sad thing is it was pure luck. I was on my way back to the car and just had my detector on as I walked lol, no strategy at all.

Heres my problem. I'm swinging low and slow, gridding the volleyball courts, then ding, a strong signal. So when I swing back over the same spot...nothing...

A similar scenario, I'll do the same, have a strong signal, go to dig it up, then nothing, no signal anywhere...

I'm doing like some of you suggested, not searching "all metal" just jewelry. And sensitivity at about 3/4... But after I lose the signal I can crank up the sensitivity and all metal but still find nothing where there was once something (according to my md)

Is this something I may just have to live with until the universe provides a higher end model? Because I feel im missing out on a lot of finds.

Thanks guys.

Are you using a pinpointer?

I assume you are rescanning the hole with your machine (?).

Rereading your post I see that you swing once over target, then swing again then nothing.

This is most likely a false signal. You want to look for REPEATABLE signals before you dig. Common even with my AT Pro.

until you learn your machine, you should be hunting in all metal mode. Dont discrim anything. Dig it all. As you learn your machine, cut the discrim back some.

Some targets are hard to locate even with a pinpointer.
A lot of targets take on the same color as the soil or are rusted.

Even minute flakes of rust can show as a target.
A cheap magnet is worth carrying.

My suggestion is to get yourself a pinpointer as soon as you can.
You will NEVER regret it and you will thank yourself:yes:!

The Garrett Pro Pointer gets rave reviews (from me too!).
Try Bart at Big Boys Hobbies for a good price. (Email him at [email protected] for best price)
Best tool you'll buy besides your detector.

If money is tight, get a Centec Metal Detector from Harbor Freight to tide you over.
Search the forum for more tips on this unit.

Centec Metal Detector
Item #97245 $16.99

From what you are saying it sounds like you are getting false signals. If the signal does not repeat then it is a false. Commonly caused by too high sensitivity. It is like high beams in the fog, you just can not see. Turn the sens down usually fixes that. Take some coins to the same spot and test them in the sand. Another problem you could be having is EMI from power lines or transmitters like the police use or a tower nearby. Your machine needs to balance, lower the sensitivity setting and your problem will probably go away. This time of the year the targets are few so be patient looking for them. Test with your own coins until you get the sens setting correct.
Went for my third night out with my new ace 150. From 8:00 til around beach curfue (10:00). Managed to scoop up .71¢. Sad thing is it was pure luck. I was on my way back to the car and just had my detector on as I walked lol, no strategy at all.

Heres my problem. I'm swinging low and slow, gridding the volleyball courts, then ding, a strong signal. So when I swing back over the same spot...nothing...

A similar scenario, I'll do the same, have a strong signal, go to dig it up, then nothing, no signal anywhere...

I'm doing like some of you suggested, not searching "all metal" just jewelry. And sensitivity at about 3/4... But after I lose the signal I can crank up the sensitivity and all metal but still find nothing where there was once something (according to my md)

Is this something I may just have to live with until the universe provides a higher end model? Because I feel im missing out on a lot of finds.

Thanks guys.

Owning an Ace 250, maybe I can help. This method holds true for almost any detector with a sensitivity adjustment.

Set you sensitivity to where the machine falses (you have already done that :grin:) back the sensitive down one number at a time until it no longer falses. When it stops falsing you are properly tuned for the ground you will be hunting. Every time you change hunting areas, do the same procedure as all ground conditions (minerals) are different. The Ace will false in wet sand or the dry sand if it is wet under the top layer and still in detector range. Again....lower the sensitivity and your problem should be solved. Make sure your coil wire does not have a loop in it that can be read by the coil, that will be in your owners manual the proper way to wrap the coil wire. (very important)

To much sensitivity and your signal is bouncing off of the ground causing false signals and sacrificing depth. If the signal is bouncing, it is not penetrating. In most areas, my 250 runs at 50-60% sensitivity, but every beach or tot lot will be different. Also check that your coil connection is tight. Use silicone grease around the connection threads to prevent corrosion from the salt air and spray. Hope this solves your problem

Back
Top Bottom