Nobody can tell me what this is. Need help

towzilla

Elite Member
Got out for a short hunt yesterday before the cold moved back in. Found this old piece in a yard where I've found several items for the late 1870-80's. I have taken this to several antique shops but no one has any idea on what it is. Hoping you all might have some idea. 4 and 1/2 inches tall. Backside is closed. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• pics ect 2 120.jpg
    pics ect 2 120.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 934
Could be the cap of an old radiator. Some of the earliest cars used these as temperature gauges. Search motometer and see what you think. I can't find one that looks like your find though.

Could be the cap of an old radiator. Some of the earliest cars used these as temperature gauges. Search motometer and see what you think. I can't find one that looks like your find though.

Yeah, I agree. Looks like the 'finial' shaft and the metal disk on the end would be allowed to raise up and release coolant out the side hole.

If it had been all cast metal I would have suggested it was one end of a fire grate guard, but as part of it seems to be non-ferrous I'm not sure?

A more clear picture is needed but I have a few ideas:

1. A topper to a fence system
2. A waste gate to a furnace pipe
3. Bedpost finnial to a canopy bed

kinda looks like..

the old doorbell/buzzer thing that used to be on old house I lived in when I was a kid. You turn the key looking thing and it kind of made a sound similar to the old phones.

Thanks everyone

Have been some good suggestion but does anyone have any ideas where I could send a picture too. I even tried American pickers. Of course they won't answer you. But I tried. It almost resembles a muisc stand at least the top. But definitly had something attached tot the side. And its brass wrapped. Any more ideas? Thanks again.

I'll try again! If it was originally a pair with a central connecting part; I wonder if it could be a boot or shoe scrape? They used to be positioned outside the front door. Some older buildings still have them!!

Would make a fancy boot scraper. Least its another idea to work on.
I'll try again! If it was originally a pair with a central connecting part; I wonder if it could be a boot or shoe scrape? They used to be positioned outside the front door. Some older buildings still have them!!

Back
Top Bottom