NO SILVER, but......

KingTotsalot

Official Tot Lot King
Forum Supporter
Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Well, the silver streak did not last very long this time. All 5 boxes were a bust this week on that account. But Box 1 and Box 2 did yield a few goodies!

An early year proof and a 2017 Proof! Like who would be silly enough to pop a brand new proof out of its wraps and dump it ??? It has not one scratch on it! Can't say that for the early proof...neither are silver.

Then box 2 also contained an 87 that is so new looking it just had to have come out of someone's collection...so shiny it was hard to photograph. KT is always happy to get any 87, but this one is a Royal Pip! :laughing::laughing:

Hope you enjoy the pictures! Best of luck to all our CRHers in the forum!

Attachments

• CRH 12 06 2018 2 Proofs.jpg
    CRH 12 06 2018 2 Proofs.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 263
  • CRH 12 06 2018 1 87 Ken.JPG
    CRH 12 06 2018 1 87 Ken.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 252
Not bad, KT. A few goodies is better than no goodies. Just keep the royal head up your Majesty, and anticipate the mighty haul that awaits you next week!

Not bad, KT. A few goodies is better than no goodies. Just keep the royal head up your Majesty, and anticipate the mighty haul that awaits you next week!

:laughing::laughing:will do, Junkminer, and thank you for the optimistic comment!

This morning His Majesty drove the Chariot with the dump coins to the Royal Bank. Lo, the machine was down! :no::no: So after driving to two other locations and finding no machines, KT was beginning to think it could be the end of the hobby for His Royal Personage. But on the way back to the Castle, He decided to make one more run by the first bank, and the Royal Bank machine repairman was there! KT picked his brain about where other similar machines were in the Royal Realm and found out at least 3 other branches have even newer similar machines! Glory Be! That means now when that machine is down at the regular location, KT has serious alternatives to check out to get rid of the halves! That is the best news KT has received in awhile! So the Royal Hobby remains viable for the near future for KT! Best Christmas present this King could get! :D::D: KT has those other branch bank addresses in the Royal Wallet for ready reference should this situation ever arise again!

Congrats on some nice finds in spite of the lack of silver. I feel like the number of people culling silver must be increasing because the finds seem to be seriously drying up around here.

Congrats on some nice finds in spite of the lack of silver. I feel like the number of people culling silver must be increasing because the finds seem to be seriously drying up around here.
Interesting. No one I know besides myself collects coins, and in general the attraction to the numismatic hobby is on the decline. I have no idea where or why all these additional hunters would recently appear. I have asked the tellers on occaasion if anyone has been buying coin, “not really”, nothing like I saw back when silver prices were approaching $40 eight years ago.

Silver prices have really tanked since then, and is valued pretty much the same at it’s low point back in the 1980’s.

When KT finishes up this year and posts His Royal Annual Totals, it will contain annual recovery data starting with Feb of 2012. Then He will be able to determine if there is a trend over the past few years. KT does know that He is downstream from at least one person because that individual marks every 1974 half he encounters with a black magic marker over in God we trust. Sometimes over one half of those dated halves are marked in a box! Surprizingly, this seems to have little impact on whether silver is present or not! :shock: :lol:

Last edited:
You are a wise man, King.

Buy low, sell high. A fundamental truth of investing that is psychologically difficult for most investors to do.

Buy low, sell high. A fundamental truth of investing that is psychologically difficult for most investors to do.
Agree. But the metals are a lousy investment, ‘cause they’re a commodity. They’re really a hedge, or insurance, if you like.

Interesting. No one I know besides myself collects coins, and in general the attraction to the numismatic hobby is on the decline. I have no idea where or why all these additional hunters would recently appear. I have asked the tellers on occaasion if anyone has been buying coin, “not really”, nothing like I saw back when silver prices were approaching $40 eight years ago.

Silver prices have really tanked since then, and is valued pretty much the same at it’s low point back in the 1980’s.

You have been at this hobby much longer than I so your info is respected. Having said that, it has been a number of weeks since I have seen any silver.

. KT's motto is find for free, and hoard em! :laughing:

Agree. But the metals are a lousy investment, ‘cause they’re a commodity. They’re really a hedge, or insurance, if you like.

KT agrees with you, amc rulz. And since KT is older, he does not care to gain wealth, but insurance now, that seems pretty reasonable at this stage. Insurance benefits the family, not the person who is insured.

Nice hunt my lord. Ashame you found no silver for the hoard but the 1987 is a nice touch. Also there seems to be a influx of hunters in my area. Every halves box I've got the past 2 months has been preopened and resealed. :?:

Nice hunt my lord. Ashame you found no silver for the hoard but the 1987 is a nice touch. Also there seems to be a influx of hunters in my area. Every halves box I've got the past 2 months has been preopened and resealed. :?:

In that situation, I would request that the bank open every preopened box and count the rolls in your presence. That way if rolls have been tampered with you can show them! Those boxes should never be opened and resealed, unless they were dropped by either the provider or the bank personnel. My bank has offered to do just that, if any box appears tampered with!

CRH is an interesting and innocent Sport! What a great way to spend a few hours going through rolls looking at coins for misstrikes or silver or proofs or whatnot!...Even just going through pennies sorting out the coppers from the zincs! Makes for a very wonderfully cheap Date Night evening...!

Me and the Wife, when we get a lot of pennies, we take the F70 into the house, lay it right there on the counter, fold her in half so She can see the tids, set it up on Delta pitch so we can hear the diff from a zinc and a copper, you can also easily hear the higher tone of the Canadians! So theres no looking through a loupe...You simply wave a coin near the coil to hear the Identification!

.We light some candles, open a box of wine, put some Barry White or 70's Funk on the Bose softly... and just sit there sorting and rolling pennies!:laughing:

I am ashamed to admit, I once salted some dime rolls and Q rolls with some of my silver coins and let her find them! WooHoo!! Oh the excitement! Best money I ever spent! You would be amazed how energetic and happy a Wife gets finding a Merc or a Stander Q! Not only that, I didnt spend a nickle or have to sit through a movie! :laughing:

Attachments

• F70.jpg
    F70.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 112
CRH is an interesting and innocent Sport! What a great way to spend a few hours going through rolls looking at coins for misstrikes or silver or proofs or whatnot!...Even just going through pennies sorting out the coppers from the zincs! Makes for a very wonderfully cheap Date Night evening...!

Me and the Wife, when we get a lot of pennies, we take the F70 into the house, lay it right there on the counter, fold her in half so She can see the tids, set it up on Delta pitch so we can hear the diff from a zinc and a copper, you can also easily hear the higher tone of the Canadians! So theres no looking through a loupe...You simply wave a coin near the coil to hear the Identification!

.We light some candles, open a box of wine, put some Barry White or 70's Funk on the Bose softly... and just sit there sorting and rolling pennies!:laughing:

I am ashamed to admit, I once salted some dime rolls and Q rolls with some of my silver coins and let her find them! WooHoo!! Oh the excitement! Best money I ever spent! You would be amazed how energetic and happy a Wife gets finding a Merc or a Stander Q! Not only that, I didnt spend a nickle or have to sit through a movie! :laughing:
Mud, you are a lucky man...my wife runs fast from the house when I bring coin rolls home...I’d have to salt them with $20 bills to catch her attention!

Back
Top Bottom