Everything I find is within an inch of the surface, normal or cheap MD problem?

wafflesngravy

We are searching our property in Southern NM. Old farm land. The soil here is some kind of clay which gets kinda hard when its dry. I have the bounty hunter tk4 and were finding stuff as old as the 60's (we think) based on a shot gun shell we found, but most of it is near the surface. I would have thought years of plowing would put some stuff deeper.

Is it more likely thats where the items are or more likely my MD can't go deeper? I'm using the all metal setting with highest sensitivity.

Would think plowing would bring stuff to the top. But it would also rotate stuff up and down. Plowing is what they do on the Arkansas diamond mine to bring new stuff up to the top.

We are searching our property in Southern NM. Old farm land. The soil here is some kind of clay which gets kinda hard when its dry. I have the bounty hunter tk4 and were finding stuff as old as the 60's (we think) based on a shot gun shell we found, but most of it is near the surface. I would have thought years of plowing would put some stuff deeper.

Is it more likely thats where the items are or more likely my MD can't go deeper? I'm using the all metal setting with highest sensitivity.

Sounds strange to me..gotta be deeper stuff in the field..bury something and see whats up...throw a shotgun shell down 5 or 6 inches ..and if u dont get a signal ....

As you read through the forums notice the equipment people are using. A lot of them use the BH TK4. So, my guess is that it is not your equipment unless it is already broke for some reason. Read your manual and do the bench tests using pocket change, nail, and bottle cap, etc.

The bounty hunter tracker 4 only goes 3-4" max if I recall. I hunt alot of ploughed fields, you can find modern beer cans at a foot + and Spanish reales right on top of the ground... You want to get deeper, your going to have to upgrade your machine. A good mid range detector should be fine for your needs, an AT pro, equinox or xterra, whites MX sport, F70/75...something along those lines... You will attain depths past 6" and as deep as a foot in some cases. Not to mention you can discriminate out half the junk your digging too. Good luck, and keep us posted!

I don't know how to get you to a post 5/24/19 in thread "when is it time to upgrade" by member GKL. Also has a video on the BH TK4.

Just answered my question. We just found an old cola can about 8 or 9 inches down.

Anyone ever heard of Parade Cola? Cant find anything on it.

Just answered my question. We just found an old cola can about 8 or 9 inches down.

Couldn't find any results for "Parade Cola" either, can you read any other info on the can like "manufactured by" or some company name ?

We just found an old cola can about 8 or 9 inches down.

Never heard of it, but does it look anything like one of these? If so, it seems like Parade is a generic food brand, one of their many products being soda/cola (pop for those native to the Midwest :)). In my area they sell their food items through a store called Menards. They have a very bad website that lists little more than “store” locations - none listed for New Mexico, but a boatload in Texas: http://www.myparadebrand.com

Attachments

• DF1AEEFA-6FE4-44F5-B46E-0048FD84DF73.jpeg
    DF1AEEFA-6FE4-44F5-B46E-0048FD84DF73.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 273
  • CDC1551E-F1F1-4422-BE31-CE85AC0A7484.jpeg
    CDC1551E-F1F1-4422-BE31-CE85AC0A7484.jpeg
    18.9 KB · Views: 247
  • 22560856-6206-455A-ABCD-83A1870D439C.jpeg
    22560856-6206-455A-ABCD-83A1870D439C.jpeg
    13.9 KB · Views: 258
Never heard of it, but does it look anything like one of these? If so, it seems like Parade is a generic food brand, one of their many products being soda/cola (pop for those native to the Midwest :)). In my area they sell their food items through a store called Menards. They have a very bad website that lists little more than “store” locations - none listed for New Mexico, but a boatload in Texas: http://www.myparadebrand.com

Very good research AirmetTango ! :thumbsup:

(I thought maybe it might have been some local brand)

You are resourceful my friend! The only thing I could find was the link below. The can is too smashed up to read much. Looks like maybe generic cola from the 90s if this is correct. I wonder if the person that enjoyed this beverage had any clue that future people would be discussing it lol.

http://www.canmuseum.com/Detail.aspx?CanID=8052

Easiest way to tell if it's your detector is to bury a few objects at known depths, and then test it. :)

Also, check your swing. Sometimes people hold the detector higher off the ground than they realize. Fields are harder, because they're lumpy, and you're basically just going to graze over things with your detection field, unless you're very very careful in how you keep your coil low.

Cheers,

Skippy

Very good research AirmetTango ! :thumbsup:

(I thought maybe it might have been some local brand)

Thanks, GKL - every now and then I’m good for something :lol:

You are resourceful my friend!

.... I wonder if the person that enjoyed this beverage had any clue that future people would be discussing it lol.

Thanks waffles, glad I could help confirm it!

Yep, that’s one of the oddball things I often think about with this hobby - you gotta wonder what the people would think of us getting excited about finding some of their mundane items. I’m sure some woman from the 1890s would’ve turned 50 shades of red to find out I publicly posted pics of her corset clasp when I found it! :lol:

The bounty hunter tracker 4 only goes 3-4" max if I recall. I hunt alot of ploughed fields, you can find modern beer cans at a foot + and Spanish reales right on top of the ground... You want to get deeper, your going to have to upgrade your machine. A good mid range detector should be fine for your needs, an AT pro, equinox or xterra, whites MX sport, F70/75...something along those lines... You will attain depths past 6" and as deep as a foot in some cases. Not to mention you can discriminate out half the junk your digging too. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Everything here is correct except the BH only seeing 3" . Amanda and I cut our teeth with a tracker 4. We found our first gold ring buried about 5" down with it. Plenty of older clad 5" deep as Well. It'll pick things up about 4-5 inches effortlessly but 6+ inches deep coins can be a stretch for it. Cans 11 inches deep tho is common LOL

The tracker 4 was a great machine for us. Definitely enjoyed it. Now my kids use it and have a blast!

Everything here is correct except the BH only seeing 3" . Amanda and I cut our teeth with a tracker 4. We found our first gold ring buried about 5" down with it. Plenty of older clad 5" deep as Well. It'll pick things up about 4-5 inches effortlessly but 6+ inches deep coins can be a stretch for it. Cans 11 inches deep tho is common LOL

The tracker 4 was a great machine for us. Definitely enjoyed it. Now my kids use it and have a blast!

Yep, I'll bet Amanda was careful to keep that coil LOW, too. Every inch above the surface is an inch lost in detection depth. Knowing that, if someone takes it to a field with furrows, or lumps that are greater than 6" in lumpiness, they immediately lose a lot of detecting ability. The tracker 4 is a very capable lawn, and turf hunter (and tot-lot bark), but when you get out into plowed fields, it wouldn't surprise me if the finds are only about 1" on average. Too much space to try to dip the coil down. Flat surfaces great. Rugged terrain, going to be detecting a lot of "air" on average.

Skippy

True, is some places there is nothing much deeper then a few inches.
I have detected many places where not even old iron is more than a few inches deep.

In other places targets are at all depths.

My old bh treasure hunter usually went no more than 4-5” but dug a platinum ring at 7”... that’s when I decided to upgrade to the nox lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom