Metal detectors in a hot car

Woodsmike

Does anyone keep their metal detector in their car during the summer months, I don't mean storing it long term in the car but mostly for after work hunts

I've kept mine in the trunk for after work hunts. You never know when a park will jump out at you screaming "SILVER"

but if it's going to be 85+ I take it out, just in case

The few times I have left it in the car is to put in in a carry bag and in the trunk. My car is silver is it does not attract the heat like a black car. If the temp starts to exceed 110 degrees I would definitively be concerned.

I keep mine in a dark green f 150 and have for the last 8 years in the summer. People worry to much. You vehicle is a rolling electronic piece of equipment. Does that give electronic problems?

Thanks for the replies I didn't think it would be a big problem but wasn't sure

I think the only thing to worry about is taking a really hot coil and putting it in cool water.. I think I cracked a coil doing that. I now splash some water at my coil to cool it before I actually dunk it..

<°)))>{

I wouldn't leave a multi frequency machine in a hot car. I lost more than one tuned search coil from my Whites V3i after first getting it. I am overly protective with my machines after that.

It's the resins which re-flow that kills a multi freq coil, and the inside of a car, in Texas sun, gets very hot. Maybe a single frequency unit is perfectly safe. I simply presumed all manufacturers had done environmental tests for heat.

I have begun using thermal bags for my coils during summer trips, with a frozen bottle of water inside. I will get thirsty anyway. Piece of mind.

It is the heat that can damage the display, that is the problem. I dont leave mine in my car in the summer.

I had thought of a way of using a large ice chest with thouse flat plastic ice packs and some towels to keep the detector cool and out of the heat, but I dont hunt much in the summer anyway.

I will put my ace 250 in the trunk if I need to in the summer but not any other detectors. I want them protected from high heat. High to me is 90 or above.

I keep mine in a dark green f 150 and have for the last 8 years in the summer. People worry to much. You vehicle is a rolling electronic piece of equipment. Does that give electronic problems?

Well, your car's electronics are designed for that sort of heat...a detector isn't.

If the ATP was that sensitive I'm sure they wouldn't have built it in a sealed flat black box. They actually couldn't build it hotter if they tried...

Just some food for thought..

<°)))>{

In some of the manuals I remember reading that the temperature range was up to 120 or 130 degrees. Depending where you live, that temperature is easily reached.

What makes you think detectors don't have a heat rating on the electronics?

They do...but I doubt that it's quite as high as something specifically designed to be in extreme heat.

Maybe they are, but according to the manual, the operating temperature is +14°F to +122°F

All accessories might be a consideration, coils especially. Then there are these $100-plus pinpointers. My first Garretts pointers have dropped sensitivity over time. Maybe heating back when I didn't know better? I have begun to even bring in my wireless HPs now. That's knee jerk possibly, yet at $55 a pop, best to be safe.

All this stuff ain't cheap!

Back
Top Bottom