First Fredericksburg Relic - from my backyard!

gtoast99

Forum Supporter
Hey y'all! I mentioned in my last post that Ive been a bit awol lately, and I would explain why soon. Well, I've been trying to move to Fredericksburg for a while, and we finally found the perfect place. So we'd been in negotiations, and trying to set up contractors (it's a bit of a fixer upper lol) and figuring out what work we can do ourselves.

And what better place for me than a house with history? It was built in the very early 1800's, and saw action during the battle of Fredericksburg. Documents show reported damage to the house both from artillery as well as the looting of the town, and there is even a cannonball hole in the rafters in the attic to this day. There was brief but heavy fighting there on the first day of the battle.

My mother came down to the house this morning, and wanted to see what we could find in the back yard. Here she is with a cool old suspender buckle we found. We also got a bunch of modern pennies, and a wire looped object that once had a pin attachment.

The big coin had my heart skip a beat - it really looked like gold coming from the ground! But it's bronze, a two franc from 1926. A cool unique find.

And then there's that mangled lead. Only a few small rifling marks identify it as a bullet now, and it obviously hit something with great force. A bullet fired in anger on Dec 11th 1862 and found in my own back yard. Crazy!

Thanks for reading! It's a small lot, but I intend to get every last scrap of metal out of it eventually haha. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• IMG_20160814_201249.jpg
    IMG_20160814_201249.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_20160814_171353.jpg
    IMG_20160814_171353.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_20160814_171309.jpg
    IMG_20160814_171309.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 686
  • IMG_20160814_171250.jpg
    IMG_20160814_171250.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_20160814_171411.jpg
    IMG_20160814_171411.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 511
Nice! Wonder how many people will door knock yah unknowing looking for permission :lol:

At some point when I think I've cleaned it all out I'll probably say yes LOL

thats cool better be glad its not my yard can anybody say back hoe please!

I'm probably going to grid and sift it at some point. Its a small yard, and so many nails.

Congrats on the house Tony! Glad to see you finally found a suitable structure to house all your amazing finds! Take care buddy .... hope to see ya soon!

Jimmy

I saw the picture on FB, Tony, and recognized the bullet by the rings <g>. I have one that makes yours look pristine.
Awesome that you have a period house! That's terrific. I know of one in Hamilton, NC that has a confederate ghost! I talked with the current owner; my friend who lived there previously is dead. I asked her if she had seen the ghost? "Yes!" she said.
I know you'll be looking for old pics of the house and sifting the yard (that's what I would do). Email me some house pics when you get the chance. I'd love to see them.
I'm happy for you, Tony.

Wayne

Sounds like you are pretty close to downtown! Congrats on the finds!

I live in Stafford and have had pretty good luck out in my area.

Have you ever gone out to the White Oak Civil War Museum? It's got some amazing finds.

Looking forward to more F'burg finds.

Thanks everyone!!

Congrats on the house Tony! ...
Jimmy

Thank you! Its been too long, I look forward to hunting with you again sometime

I saw the picture on FB, Tony, and recognized the bullet by the rings <g>. I have one that makes yours look pristine.
Awesome that you have a period house! That's terrific. I know of one in Hamilton, NC that has a confederate ghost! I talked with the current owner; my friend who lived there previously is dead. I asked her if she had seen the ghost? "Yes!" she said.
I know you'll be looking for old pics of the house and sifting the yard (that's what I would do). Email me some house pics when you get the chance. I'd love to see them.
I'm happy for you, Tony.

Wayne

No signs of haunting...... yet. Fingers crossed, the idea gives me the willies lol. I've attached a picture if the house in 1908. I actually did find a CW period picture....... sortof. Its in the background of the picture, and I can ID where the house should be in the background. Unfortunately all you can see are a few clapboards through the trees that are no longer there.

congrats on the finds. Sounds like a fun house to fix up! Get to know your neighbors, bring them a 6 pack and ask to dig!

Thanks! There's a lot of fixing up to do, but I think I'm up for the challenge. I think, lol. I got my first neighbor permission yesterday, once we get some more rain.

Cant beat finding relics in your own yard, unfortunately while i live on over 10 acres we had a garbage dump on the property before we cleaned it and that basically means Foil and garbage all over the place.

This place is lousy with nails of all sorts. Its a small yard so I think sifting is the way to go.

Sounds like you are pretty close to downtown! Congrats on the finds!

I live in Stafford and have had pretty good luck out in my area.

Have you ever gone out to the White Oak Civil War Museum? It's got some amazing finds.

Looking forward to more F'burg finds.

White oak is amazing! For anyone reading that hasn't gone, you need to do so. I'll bet you've done quite well in Stafford, plenty of good sites there. This house is in town now, but was the outskirts of town at the time.

Attachments

• IMG_20160520_200430.jpg
    IMG_20160520_200430.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 314
That is nice,just nice to be able to share and have your mom help save those treasures you have in the yard. Great story and get them all --------------------after1------------

Back
Top Bottom