Salt Water Beach Detector?

Almax

Hey guys, I am relatively new to detecting, started out with a Garrett 250 and had a blast combing beaches. I find with my 250 that I need to stay away from the water a good distance or the thing goes crazy on me. What are the best detectors for use on a salt water beach? Predominantly in the dry/wet sand area, but maybe occasionally in the surf as well (fully submersible doesn't matter). Looking for one that won't go haywire when nearing the water, or give as many false readings, and I would be interested in seeing what kind of treasure I can dig up closer to the water as well. Not too familiar with detectors and all the ones I look at say they can be used near/in saltwater but was looking for some advice on the best ones. Reliability, accuracy, and general ease of use would be appreciated. Could probably spend close to 900-1000 dollars and would really like some input. I enjoy finding coins on the beaches obviously (easy money), but also enjoy the other, randomness to detecting as well; never knowing what I will uncover so I don't specialize in searching for one type of thing. Figuring this new detector would be my go-to for beach detecting. Any brands or models would be greatly appreciated!

Knee deep or less, a Minelab Sovereign...but don't drop it in the water:lol: If you want waterproof, a Minelab Excalibur or Fisher CZ 20/21. There's other machines as well...

My Minelab Sov elite was priced right and it ignores iron,but you will dig junk,not as much as a Pulse Induction detector though.

Minelab X call, or a Garrett sea hunter 11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am using a Garrett Sea Hunter MKII. It is a PI (Pulse induction) machine. Tons of fun, goes deep. But it is a dig it all. I used to use a 250 too; I pretty much retired it since I got the Sea hunter.

Excalibur lol ..won't detect a gold chain how do i know this i found 1 with my pi
buy my friends excal couldn't find it he ran his coin over it and no signal:laughing:
get a surf pi for the wet and keep your ace for dry sand
for $800 you can't beat whites

If you want a very capable all around detector look into a used Whites DFX. You can NOT drop in the water but can go wet to dry with no problem and works just a well on any land site. Ease of use out of the box with factory setting or really learn it to make it sing in any conditions. Also a full rang of Whites and after market coils. They sell for right around $400. I currently own 2 but don't need 2.

Excalibur lol ..won't detect a gold chain how do i know this i found 1 with my pi
buy my friends excal couldn't find it he ran his coin over it and no signal:laughing:
get a surf pi for the wet and keep your ace for dry sand
for $800 you can't beat whites

I have found more chains with my Excal than I ever did with my PI... no detector see's the entire gold chain... all they see is 1 link of the chain or the clasp... gold chains sound like junk... my friend found a 92 gram gold chain that he almost passed on without digging because it sounded like a nail a double broken tone.

Excal. I can do the dig it all in PP or discriminate the junk out. Best of both worlds. Its all about the subtle tones so if you have range problems you may miss things. Don't worry about that though. I will grab them with my excal. ;)

Matt

Excalibur 2

Hey guys, I am relatively new to detecting, started out with a Garrett 250 and had a blast combing beaches. I find with my 250 that I need to stay away from the water a good distance or the thing goes crazy on me. What are the best detectors for use on a salt water beach? Predominantly in the dry/wet sand area, but maybe occasionally in the surf as well (fully submersible doesn't matter). Looking for one that won't go haywire when nearing the water, or give as many false readings, and I would be interested in seeing what kind of treasure I can dig up closer to the water as well. Not too familiar with detectors and all the ones I look at say they can be used near/in saltwater but was looking for some advice on the best ones. Reliability, accuracy, and general ease of use would be appreciated. Could probably spend close to 900-1000 dollars and would really like some input. I enjoy finding coins on the beaches obviously (easy money), but also enjoy the other, randomness to detecting as well; never knowing what I will uncover so I don't specialize in searching for one type of thing. Figuring this new detector would be my go-to for beach detecting. Any brands or models would be greatly appreciated!

I think the Minelab Excalibur 2, is the water detector to look into.
Give me a call if you have any questions
dennis

http://www.metaldetectors.com/beach-water-metal-detectors

Thinking of going with the Excalibur 2.. I get that it is a fully submersible water detector and also does well in the surf, but will it also be good for dry sand as well? Would rather not carry along 2 detectors with me every trip to the beach.

Pound for Pound -----SAND SHARK

I have had several beach machines,two favorites excaliber and Sand Shark,for PULSE INDUCTION---I go with the S.S. for salt water,for vlf detector pick its excalibar.The Tiger Shark is a good one also but not for salt water.
I chose for all around use the S.S. because I have a "LIFE TIME WARRANTY"no one else has this to offer.THANK YOU---JAMES.:yes:

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 1,303
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 1,300
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 1,289
1. Where will you be hunting? US east coast? West coast? Specific beaches? Hawaii? Etc. This will determine a lot.

2. Do you want a PI or VLF machine? PIs detect all metal and do not discriminate but they get deeper. VLF can tell if its iron or not but are not quite as deep. PIs are great for clean beaches or diving and such. VLF are generally best on the US east coast beaches because they have tons of fish hooks and stuff. You wouldn't want a PI on dry sand so I will assume VLF is what you want.

3. Would you be willing to get a used machine? A $1000 budget cuts you out of the better VLF machines like CZ21 or Excalibur which cost $1500 new. You can find a used CZ21 or excal for probably $700-$1000 and its really a toss up between these two. I have seen tons of tests and sometimes the CZ wins and sometimes the Excal wins. Usually the better detectorist wins with these machines. If I were buying used, I would go with the CZ21 hands down. Its built like a tank, less likely to need maintenance, and can probably be found for a bit cheaper used. Also, people tend to modify the excal so make sure you know exactly what you are buying. Then again if you can buy from a trusted source this wouldn't matter and if you plan to modify then go excal.

4. If you want new and want a VLF get the Whites BeachHunter 300. You can probably find it for like $850-$900 if you email/call the online vendors and ask what the best price is on it. Its probably as good as the CZ21/excal Ive just never tried it to know and its not as popular as those two models.

5. If you decide you want a PI, get the White Surf/Dual Field PI. Its definitely one of the best beach PIs and check out Clive's books on it: http://www.clivesgoldpage.com/shop/...-surfmaster-p-i-dual-field-an-advanced-guide/

I have a Tesoro Sand Shark ( there is a Chinese knockoff that goes by Sand Shark) and a Sovereign. Both are great. The SS is good to 200' deep. Both are in your range but will leave you with change to get a good stainless (not aluminum!!) scoop.

Back
Top Bottom