Reproduction 1878 one-pound Morgan Dollar

worm12ga

Elite Member
I have one of these silver plated copper 1-pound 1878 morgan replicas. Before anyone says it, I'm fully aware it is just a 1-pound piece of copper with a thin silver plate. I don't have a picture right now, but a quick google or ebay search will show you exactly what I'm talking about.

My question is what it's really worth. I see the ebay auctions where they misrepresent it as being a pound of silver, and people spend hundreds of dollars on a pretty hunk of copper.

I've also seen the completed auctions where the seller was honest about what it was, but the price range still varied from about $15 to almost $90.

Having no real precious metal value, what do you think it is really worth, or what would you pay for it? It does make a cool decoration for the bookshelf.

That was a really unhelpfull response, I hope it was in jest. I am capable of looking up copper prices myself.

Even without precious metal content, it is obviously worth more than scrap value.

That was a really unhelpfull response, I hope it was in jest. I am capable of looking up copper prices myself.

Even without precious metal content, it is obviously worth more than scrap value.

To who? First, the silver layer is microns thin and hold maybe 1 or 2 cents of value.

Anything is worth whatever someone else is willing to pay. It has a scrap value of just over $2. I don't see anyone paying more than that for it but the world is full of crazy people!

You're right Worm, there are plenty of things in this world with no precious metal content that have value. I don't know what it's value is but I would add as many as you can find to you're E-bay watch list, you should be able to get a good idea of an average price they sell for. Sounds like a neat item.

To who? First, the silver layer is microns thin and hold maybe 1 or 2 cents of value.

Anything is worth whatever someone else is willing to pay. It has a scrap value of just over $2. I don't see anyone paying more than that for it but the world is full of crazy people!

I already said I am aware the silver content holds no value. Its value is as a so-called collectible or display item. A quick search of completed ebay listings show they sell for more than scrap. I was hoping for a more educated response. I don't care if it is only worth $15, but don't tell me it is worth the same as the copper pipe and wire I take to the scrap yard on a regular basis. I've scrapped thousands of pounds of different kinds of metals. A silver plated collectible, even if it is kinda cheesy, is not scrap metal.

Are you actually trying to sell it or are you just looking for a value for curiosity? Just put it on eBay and see what happens. What I would be willing to pay for something like that is much less than what it would even cost to ship. What do you want from us?

Are you actually trying to sell it or are you just looking for a value for curiosity? Just put it on eBay and see what happens. What I would be willing to pay for something like that is much less than what it would even cost to ship. What do you want from us?

What you would pay for it is exactly what I was asking. It was mostly curiousity. For <$15 it will remain a shelf decoration, not worth the time and fees of dealing with ebay.

"Post a pic of it with something next to it for size reference "

Having trouble posting a picture, but as I said if you google or ebay search the term 'one pound silver 1878 morgan dollar replica' or something similar, you will find the same item with decent pictures (although often innacurate descriptions).

It is about 3 1/2 inches in diameter and maybe 3/8 inch thick. It is a novelty/collectible/decorative item, not bullion. It is serialized in a plastic case. Identical to the ones sold on Ebay in the past or present.

Here is a link to someone misrepresenting it as pure silver, but the pictures accurately represent the same item I have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1878-Morgan...er-/161909172815?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Here is a link for a similar auction that has ended, and accurately describes the item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1878-Morgan...487001?hash=item4642539e59:g:KzUAAOSwDFNWE~5B

I'm just trying to understand the difference between the past sales of ~$15 to ~$80 for the exact same item. I'm not sleezy enough to list it as pure silver, although searching past auctions shows more than one seller has successfully done so.

Not sure why your taking a beating here... It's obvious that you where just looking for a couple of opinions on the "collectable" value of it. I guess you will just have to go with a middle of the road on what you see on eBay. Cool item!

Not sure why your taking a beating here... It's obvious that you where just looking for a couple of opinions on the "collectable" value of it. I guess you will just have to go with a middle of the road on what you see on eBay. Cool item!

+1

reminds me of hose big pennies or buffalo nick nacks only cooler since this is copper. Be funny to find one of those digging!

$20 seems like a decent price for it, but it's a !!!! shoot!

+1

reminds me of hose big pennies or buffalo nick nacks only cooler since this is copper. Be funny to find one of those digging!

$20 seems like a decent price for it, but it's a !!!! shoot!

Good point. I've buried numerous odd items on family property just to confuse future generations. If I can't get $20 for this after sale fees and such, I might seal up the case and bury it somewhere interesting.

Some confusion here?

The first ebay link in your last post is for a .999 silver reproduction coin. A proof by it's look. Apparently they are in short supply. If someone wanted to pay 350$ for 200$ worth of silver cast in the likeness of a Morgan dollar so be it.
If the silver over copper coin is a limited production with collector value I guess it's worth whatever someone wanted to pay for it.

It still does not answer your question, your only way to find the true value would be to keep following the market. It may increase or decrease in value
depending on a buyer interest.

The first ebay link in your last post is for a .999 silver reproduction coin. A proof by it's look. Apparently they are in short supply. If someone wanted to pay 350$ for 200$ worth of silver cast in the likeness of a Morgan dollar so be it.
If the silver over copper coin is a limited production with collector value I guess it's worth whatever someone wanted to pay for it.

I looked at the auction more closely, it seems you are correct. That is not the same as what I have. They looked so close I did not bother to look at the back, as I did not expect there to be two production runs of 1-pound morgan replicas dated 1878 in identical plastic casings, one in pure silver and one in copper with a thin silver plate.

Tough to get much on "collectable" items, which have been recently mass produced. No telling how common, how many thousands were made, or how many production runs they will do, if they sell well. You should see who made/makes them, and see how old it is, and if they are still selling them, original price.

It really is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. On Ebay, most people want to pay as little as possible. But, then again, there have been some insane auctions, though not sure if the deal was ever completed.

Probably best to hang on to it, considering our hobby, wouldn't look bad on display. Never know, may run into a friend or family member who collects coins, and it would make a very nice gift.

"Probably best to hang on to it, considering our hobby, wouldn't look bad on display. Never know, may run into a friend or family member who collects coins, and it would make a very nice gift. "

That is most likely what I will do with it, use it as a christmas gift for the mother-in-law. I already dumped 20 pounds of wheatbacks on her to give her something to sort through this winter.

Here is a link to someone misrepresenting it as pure silver, but the pictures accurately represent the same item I have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1878-Morgan...er-/161909172815?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Here is a link for a similar auction that has ended, and accurately describes the item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1878-Morgan...487001?hash=item4642539e59:g:KzUAAOSwDFNWE~5B

I'm just trying to understand the difference between the past sales of ~$15 to ~$80 for the exact same item. I'm not sleezy enough to list it as pure silver, although searching past auctions shows more than one seller has successfully done so.

I think you have it right there, the value of such an item is simple whatever someone is willing to pay, not just the scrap value but the going price. Its a collectible and the supply and demand, plus the current economy set the price.

It still does not answer your question, your only way to find the true value would be to keep following the market. It may increase or decrease in value
depending on a buyer interest.

Or for $156 worth of silver ;)

Back
Top Bottom