Which MD to purchase

Smokenbutch

Hello I'm new to MDing I have been with my father-in-law before. Looking to purchase my first one I was looking at the fisher f4 or Garrett ace 400 but I'm up for other suggestions

Thanks

Larry

Hello and welcome. What kind of hunting do you plan on doing and where? Coin, relic, jewelry, or all of the above? Do you plan on doing any water hunting?

What is your max price range?

For $400 or less I like the Fisher F2 ($200) and F4 (~$400). Very easy to use and good performance.

You can get the F2 with a 3 coil package for around $250-$275. The little sniper coil is great for working in trashy areas.

If it were me, I'd spend a little more and get an AT-Pro. Might be able to find a used one for around $450 or so. This will allow you to hunt IN the water if you choose.

All of the above maybe a little bit near water. Around $400.00

Seems like the Fisher F22 & F44 would both fit well within the budget, as well as around the water. I've never used the Fisher, but I understand that it's a keeper. If the budget is a bit more flexible, maybe go for the Garrett AT Pro !

Getting a Garrett ProPointer should be first on your list. Detecting without one ain't no fun at all.

beephead

Getting a Garrett ProPointer should be first on your list. Detecting without one ain't no fun at all.

beephead

For sure, you've got to budget a couple of hundred $$'s, over and above the cost of the metal detector. You really need a pin-pointer and proper digging equipment (Lesche shovel and hand digger), then you'll be ready to take on the world. If $400 is the budget, go for the F22, and add another $20 - $30......;)

Used AT Pro or Used 705 would be my choice. Both great machines. I have never used an F4 but hear they have a tad bit of a learning curve.

There is an omega 8500 right now on classifieds-- seems to be within your budget. I hear they are good on coins.

Definitely get a used mid range machine over a new beginner machine. I would increase your budget about $100 and look for a used Minelab explorer, Minelab Safari, At Pro, or fisher cz3d. These machines will get much more depth than the beginner machines, and have much more accurate target ID.

Don't consider any Tesoro detectors... I want all the used ones out there. ^_^

Really though, I'd recommend a Tesoro. Of models made right now (and that I've used), the Vaquero is what I'd recommend. Buy it new if you want the lifetime warranty, ang get it with the 11x8 widescan (DD) coil. They go deep, are super light, use a single 9v, are USA made and good quality. Some people don't like that they're "analog" and don't have target ID, but that doesn't matter if you learn the detector. They just work.... Then again, if you need target ID, ignore all I've written except for me wanting them all. ^_^

Hello I'm new to MDing I have been with my father-in-law before. Looking to purchase my first one I was looking at the fisher f4 or Garrett ace 400 but I'm up for other suggestions

Thanks

Larry

I have the Ace 400 and after a lot of hours I will have to say that it is probably one of the last detectors in entry level detectors that I would buy. I like my LRP much better and it has ground balance. The F44 is also in my inventory and I do like it but I would still pick up the LRP most of the time except during the chance of rain. Good luck with your choice.

Back
Top Bottom