• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Garrett ACE 250 vs. Garrett gtax 550

utaharcher

I just have a question. I have compared these two detectors side by side on kellyco.com, but was wondering if anyone has had real world experience with these two detectors. I have heard so much good about the ACE so I was curious if the gtax 550 is worth spending the extra money or not. If i can get either one for the same price which should I get? Thanks for all your advice.

I don't know anything about the 550, but read the same comparison as you did. If you can get either for the same price, get the 550...as long as that "same price" is $212.

I just have a question. I have compared these two detectors side by side on kellyco.com, but was wondering if anyone has had real world experience with these two detectors. I have heard so much good about the ACE so I was curious if the gtax 550 is worth spending the extra money or not. If i can get either one for the same price which should I get? Thanks for all your advice.

I owned the Garrett ACE 250 and still have the ACE 150. And I have used the GTAx 550 as well as the GTI 1500.

The ACE 250 is one heck of a detector. But if the extra money is not a problem, the GTAx 550 would be the way to go. For the beginner this is a turn great turn-on-and-go detector with 2 simple factory preset modes (coins and all-metal), both are also fully-adjustable.

Most importantly the GTAx 550 offers some very important key features not offered on the ACE Detectors, such as automatic ground balancing as well as adjustable threshold. Both very important and very useful.

If you could afford it check into the GTI 1500. If not, I believe you'd be much happier with the GTAx 550.

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know about the 550 but have tried the gtx400 and own a ace250. The ace is an amazing machine for the money and did much better than the gtx400. I have several detectors but cant seem to get rid of my Ace.

I bought a Garrett GTXa 550 new about 7 yrs ago and love it. The first trials were in my backyard looking for tools lost by workmen. I was able to locate them in a couple of minutes. When I got the 550 I read through the manual several times and "played" with the controls and now view the 550 on YouTube to refresh myself. I did research both the Ace 250 and the GTXa 550 and scraped the money together for the 550. I have never been sorry. Great beginner and overall detector.

Back
Top Bottom