Advice on a sand scoop

CTpilgrim

Elite Member
I figured I could get some good advice here so here is my question. I haven’t done much water hunting but some of the colonial sites I hunt are near rivers so I would love to see what may have been dropped while swimming or washing clothes. Where I would be hunting is gravel bottom with some bigger rocks so I would need something heavy duty. I tried a cheap one last year and it lasted about 20 minutes and I bent it. The water is sounding pretty good right now with temps headed into the 90’s and most of the fields waist high. Thanks everyone for the help.

316 Stainless

https://xtremescoops.com/ Is the current high grade SS scoop maker out of Texas USA , 2 different CF handles , Id get the textured grip CF , good luck PS He is one of the scoop makers on the list at the top link of the water forum , 316 ss is more corrosion resistant.
Sticky ThreadSticky: Informational threads on beach detecting.

https://xtremescoops.com/ Is the current high grade SS scoop maker out of Texas USA , 2 different CF handles , Id get the textured grip CF , good luck PS He is one of the scoop makers on the list at the top link of the water forum , 316 ss is more corrosion resistant.
Sticky ThreadSticky: Informational threads on beach detecting.

Wow I just checked those things out and they look like the real deal. Thanks for the advice

Main guy (Kurt?) from The Hoover Boys is using a "scoopal" this year. It's definitely less expensive than the xtreme scoop. I have no experience with either one though, so do your research.

Main guy (Kurt?) from The Hoover Boys is using a "scoopal" this year. It's definitely less expensive than the xtreme scoop. I have no experience with either one though, so do your research.

I have a Scoopal scoop myself...although it's now a "spare"...it's fine, but it has a ubolt design, which means carbon fiber won't work for it...

Pryan 67 My opinion

U bolt designs are mostly older designs, if you buy a new U bolt design however , its usually a cheaper grade scoop, if you don't hunt the beaches much , U bolt designs , no problem just use ash handles with waterproof coating treatment! OR just buy a new scoop with the welded bolt & nut solid ss gooseneck lock down system with CF handle . PS ALL of my scoops except two , a stealth 920I , and a Xtreme Surf Master X3 -306 SS have the U bolt design , Xtreme in my opinion now , making scoops with a ten year warranty & in 316 corrosion resistant stainless is # 1 , nothing wrong with ash , as long as it has the waterproof sealed wood treated !

Last edited:
Guys......CF shafts will work fine on U-Bolt design scoops if : #1- you MUST have some sort of dowel inside the tube or it will be crushed or break. Usually 6-8" works fine. #2- wrap the bottom part of the shaft to help protect/reinforce the CF. I prefer a heavy shrink wrap over tape. GL....

Kob

Thats fine , but who is making them , if nobody is , id just stick to ash , fiberglass, or WOOD / CF insert , however CHUCK made these , now his work is in custom detector parts . Just like Plugger made the CF custom to fit the hunter strait shafts , they come & go , times are different in this economy , When are you moving to FL. , I here your boy is begging for people to come back :laughing: PS Kob I just checked https://xtremescoops.com/handles/ , the CF handles have a solid 6 inch core bottom , that should make a difference , never tested on in a U bolt system scoop yet , but should be OK :rofl2:

Thats fine , but who is making them , if nobody is , id just stick to ash , fiberglass, or WOOD / CF insert , however CHUCK made these , now his work is in custom detector parts . Just like Plugger made the CF custom to fit the hunter strait shafts , they come & go , times are different in this economy , When are you moving to FL. , I here your boy is begging for people to come back :laughing: PS Kob I just checked https://xtremescoops.com/handles/ , the CF handles have a solid 6 inch core bottom , that should make a difference , never tested on in a U bolt system scoop yet , but should be OK :rofl2:
My sister & I sold the FL home a few years ago. Only out there a couple of times for a few months each. I hunted , but was not there long enough to get the lay of the land. Can't believe Newsom is advertising down there begging people to come back to California with all his lies. What a joke.

I agree... I would go with Fiberglas mine has a wood insert and its my go to set up while digging in rocks the CF 720i is saved for mud and gravel... its not ofte4n we agree Earl :yes:

Back
Top Bottom