n00b's first silver - 1918 Mercury Dime, in Toronto

Dead Ringer

Just started metal detecting this spring. Not much success yet at local parks etc., but still having fun with it.

Finally found my first silver - this 1918 Mercury Dime, from the distant far-away lands of the USA.

Found it in the small patch of grass in my Toronto backyard, about 4" down. House is about as old as the dime. I've been over the yard with my detector a few times, digging out mostly piles and piles of nails, and some Corona (of course!) caps. Signals everywhere. But after this find, I'm more determined to dig out every last signal.

Found with Minelab Vanquish 540 and Pro-Find 15 pinponter

Attachments

• 1918MercuryDime-Heads.jpg
    1918MercuryDime-Heads.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 194
  • 1918MercuryDime-Tails.jpg
    1918MercuryDime-Tails.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 182
Congratulations on your silver. It is always fun to find the first of any type of coin you haven't found before. Of course, finding any silver is awesome. More are surely in your future with that detector.

Rob

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Thanks all! Yeah, it was definitely a good start for finding silver.

Hoping that a late-1930's property (with other older homes around it) pans out for me soon too. I had a very brief hunt there a few months back and dug up a shotgun shell from about 1920. Should be some more goodies there.

Keep going and you will dig fewer and fewer nails as your ears get more accustomed to the machine. Eventually you'll hear an obvious difference between iron falsing and a good signal, and you'll be able to skip over the nails.

Congrats on your first silver! I think your foreign U.S. silver might have some Canadian friends...

Congrats! Keep at it! One reason I think Mercs are great is because we've actually dug some real history when we find one. Relatively common, fairly recent history, and yet most people can't identify one as a US coin.

Back
Top Bottom