Kid's Metal Detector Purchase

GB_Detector

What would you recommend for a youngster who just turned 5 for a beginner metal detector? He has expressed interest but being 5 years old I don't know how serious he could be. I don't want to spend money on something then have it sit in a closet after 1 or 2 uses because he's not really that interested. I would prefer to buy something that has decent capability that I could also use as a backup for my Nox 800. Would any of the lower level Minelab detectors be suitable for this?

fisher detectors are veeeery light. :)

The Midi Hoards are 1/2 pound lighter, and that half pound is going to be significant for a 5 year old. Also, the F2 is overly complicated for a 5 year old, but the Mini Hoard isn't, and it's designed to be fun for a child. It also has short shafts so a child can use it in comfort. The F2 doesn't as far as I know, so the coil might have to be far out in front of them, which will cause a lot of strain on their wrist, elbow, and shoulder.

well, shafts can easily be modified with an angle grinder lmao. it's just a suggestion. they aren't complicated. basically turn on and dig if you dont wanna notch.

Also, if they will be detecting in or near water, the Mini Hoard is submersible, but the F2 isn't. Then again, neither is his Nox :D

yeah, not the unit itself but the coil is submersible. i doubt a 5 year old is gonna do much diving with it lmaoooo. :D

yeah, not the unit itself but the coil is submersible. i doubt a 5 year old is gonna do much diving with it lmaoooo. :D

If the 5 year old will be detecting at the beach and near water, or will be detecting at the waters edge, or in shallow water, then the detector being submersible is a requirement. Kids will accidently drop the detector, so simply having a submersible coil isn't good enough.

I would get about the cheapest and lightest machine possible. The Fisher F2 fits, but I would not personally buy one to ever inherit for myself. I would go cheap is what I am saying. If it is fun, the kid will show it. Selling a cheap metal detector is the least loss in the long run. Five year old shows interest? They all do that, for a while, before the "work."

Last edited:
Kiss- keep it simple especially for a 5 year old. Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker. Light & simple. Usually you can find them for around $60 new.
More advance then the new Quest X10. Great performance, submersible, light (1 oz heavier than the deus), multiple tone settings and remembers your settings (or kid's). Great backup/loaner for an adult. $200

I had a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, but then I moved up to the Teknetics Delta 4000. I really liked that one. I sort of wish I still had it. It was a pretty nice machine. Really simple to use, it has numbers to show what the target is, and pinpoint mode.

Back
Top Bottom