I need shovel dimensions

Clint in KY

I plan to buy a short handled shovel and cut the blade to mimic a commercial metal detecting shovel. I need the dimensions indicated in the picture by large black lines. If you have a shovel similar to the one in the picture below, could you measure it and post it here, Please.

Attachments

• a shovel.jpg
    a shovel.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 233
Clint, from the top down (I have a Predator)

7"

5"

3.5"

Just some added advice. I'd tried a couple tile spades years ago, depending on where you dig, they're too thin and can actually fold over.

These trenching spades are much thicker, I have one and really like it. I cut the handle down and added a D-handle, but broke the handle digging up tree stumps :lol: I need to get a replacement, but haven't found one yet I like.

Here's the one I have, if you have a Lowes, at least look at what they have and compare blade thickness before you buy.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Long-handle-Fiberglass-Trenching-Spade/1000377395

Thanks for the links to the straight handled shovels. My shovel will have two uses: First is to dig the hole and Second to help me get up from being on my knees. A straight handled shovel would not work too well for that. Almost 75 years old and dealing with the arthritis that comes with age. But I still like to get out in the woods and MDing gives a reason for doing that.

Here's some dimension from one I made a few years ago.

Attachments

• design.jpg
    design.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 217
  • shovelhead.jpg
    shovelhead.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 227
  • finished1.jpg
    finished1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 207
Thanks for the links to the straight handled shovels. My shovel will have two uses: First is to dig the hole and Second to help me get up from being on my knees. A straight handled shovel would not work too well for that. Almost 75 years old and dealing with the arthritis that comes with age. But I still like to get out in the woods and MDing gives a reason for doing that.

Gotchya! I'm 10 years younger, and have knee issues as well. That's why I like hunting farm ground. The majority of it I can do standing. I'll flop a plug out, and if the target's in it, I kick it apart with a foot. Once I "re-locate" it in the spread dirt, I bend over with pinpointer and scoop it up with the other hand. I very seldom have to get on a knee (I can only get down on the left one).

I can see where woods would be tougher, having to deal with tree roots. See about rounding up some farm fields for fall after harvest. It's a whole lot easier :lol:

Again, you can cut the handle off and add a D-handle to it, so it's no longer straight. This is the exact one I'd posted the link to after I cut it down and added the handle.

picture.php

Back
Top Bottom