Nothing at the Coinstar, BUT 18K w/ ICE

jimther

Elite Member
Off to the market today and feelin' down :( with the COINSTAR reject tray empty. Returning to the car, with just the groceries to show for my trip, my ground-scanning eyeballs pick up a flash of gold color in the crack where concrete meets curbstone.

Reaching down to retrieve what I figured was a piece of cheap costume jewelry, I was surprised by the weight... and there's 3 clear stones. The metal has some tiny dings, but maybe it's a real gold stud earring. I'll wait till I get home to check it out.

Did I mention that it felt heavy ? With my jeweler's loupe, I see a 750 on the stake part of the earring. The three stones appear to be well set; diamonds possibly, if this is 18K, but there's crud all around them. A quick pass with a soapy old toothbrush clears out the crud and the shiny stones are blinding me now ! Our club has a diamond tester, so I'll have them checked out at our meeting on Friday.

OK, so the total weight is 2.5 grams and the overall diameter of the crescent part of the gold is about 1 centimeter. The stones are gradually increasing in size and the largest is about 3mm in diameter.

Any ideas how much of the 2.5 grams total that the gold is versus the stones ? I was guessing maybe 2.0 grams of 18K and 0.5 grams of stones. That seem about right? Photo below:

4:10 PM Edit - I just looked again at the underside of the crescent part of the gold and can clearly see a partial 18K. I say partial, because there are holes at the bottom of each stone setting and one wiped out the '1' in the 18K, so it is now reading 8K.

jimther

Attachments

• IMG_2319.jpg
    IMG_2319.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
Makes my 55 cents I just plucked out of the CoinStar look depressing.

Great score...
I'm sure the stones are real.

Congrats on the eagle eye snag.

Congrats on the parking lot gold... I have found 7 gold from parking lots in 2 and a half years :yes: I found a tiny 18k stud last week with a tiny diamond in it... in a puddle in a parking lot.. ;)

:dingding: Congrats on the nice score! That must've hurt when she realized it was gone.

Maybey more gold weight than stones

Was reading up on estimating the carat weight of Round-Cut diamonds by diameter and found a secondary link that says a full 1 carat diamond weighs 200 milligrams (0.2 grams). I don't think my earring with three stones (assuming they are diamonds) has a full total weight of 1 carat, so I may have over-estimated the weight of the stones versus gold in my original post (I thought maybe 2 grams of 18K gold and 0.5 grams of stones) It may be closer to 2.3 or 2.35 grams of gold. At today's gold price of $1,333/oz, that's:

2.3 grams = 0.0811301 oz x $1,333/oz = $108 x .750(18K purity) = $81.11
2.35 grams = 0.08289381oz x $1,333/oz = $110 x .750(18K purity) = $82.50

Or am I missing something ?

Jim

Thanks

Thanks for all the Congrats guys.

Several years ago, another parking lot find was an 18K gold back from a ladies Rolex, and another day in the same parking lot, my wife eyeballed a 14K ladies bracelet.

Was reading up on estimating the carat weight of Round-Cut diamonds by diameter and found a secondary link that says a full 1 carat diamond weighs 200 milligrams (0.2 grams). I don't think my earring with three stones (assuming they are diamonds) has a full total weight of 1 carat, so I may have over-estimated the weight of the stones versus gold in my original post (I thought maybe 2 grams of 18K gold and 0.5 grams of stones) It may be closer to 2.3 or 2.35 grams of gold. At today's gold price of $1,333/oz, that's:

2.3 grams = 0.0811301 oz x $1,333/oz = $108 x .750(18K purity) = $81.11
2.35 grams = 0.08289381oz x $1,333/oz = $110 x .750(18K purity) = $82.50

Or am I missing something ?

Jim

Based on your 2.3 grams the value of the gold would be $73.54 we use this link...

https://dendritics.com/metal-calc/?Metal=Au&WeightU=2.3&Units=g&P=750&Purity=750

Now, I wonder what the [maybe] diamonds are worth. Have to find a jeweler who won't charge an arm & a leg to give an estimate. Jim

What I have learned on here and from experience selling a bit is that small diamonds, and by that I mean anything near the pave range, have little value on the resale market. But jewelers sure charge a a whole lot when they sell them!

Excellent resource ! Thanks Cfm. I knew someone would come through with an answer.

Now, I wonder what the [maybe] diamonds are worth. Have to find a jeweler who won't charge an arm & a leg to give an estimate.

Jim

Buy yourself a diamond tester.. many of us on the beach forum use them... what Felix said about small diamonds is true... there is no real market for them.

These might be my 1st diamonds in 30+ years detecting

Buy yourself a diamond tester.. many of us on the beach forum use them... what Felix said about small diamonds is true... there is no real market for them.

Thanks for the suggestion Cfm, but a diamond tester would be wasted on me, as I don't find a lot of jewelry and I'm not a water hunter. This will be the first time I've had to avail myself of our club's diamond tester. I'll know the verdict tomorrow night.

Jim

May be a diamond, but maybe not

I took the earring to the club meeting tonight. We have a good diamond tester and the stones tested as diamonds.... but, when they do, you have to then test them with a Moissanite tester to really tell whether you have a diamond or the manmade silicon carbide Moissanite. See http://www.jewelrynotes.com/how-to-tell-the-difference-between-moissanite-and-diamond/ for a discussion relating to the difference in the two. A Moissanite is very close in hardness [9.25-9.5 on the Mohs scale] compared to a diamond [10 on the Mohs scale].

The stones in my earring at first tested positive on the Moissanite tester, but the guy who was testing wasn't sure he had the tip of the tester placed properly on the stone. Another guy, with more experience, tested while using a magnifier, but it was inconclusive and he suggested I take it to a jeweler if I really want to be sure.

Bottom line, I'm still wondering. Anybody know if it's uncommon to use Moissanite settings with 18K gold ?

Jim

Bottom line, I'm still wondering. Anybody know if it's uncommon to use Moissanite settings with 18K gold ?
Jim

I can almost guarantee that your diamonds in that earring are real.

Back
Top Bottom