Trying to make a F2 cheat sheet (Confused)

JimmyG1952

So I'm using my F2 with the new 4 inch coil with some found targets sandwiched between carpet squares...

I can't come up with any rhyme or reason for the numbers shown on the display.

Example:
Silver quarter swinging different heights I hear the difference in tone loudness but the numbers just don't make sense. Starting high above until I get first signal trying different swing speeds until I get real close are:

TAB 40
NICKEL 34 ZINC 46-48
DIME 68-76
QUARTER 80 89+ when I'm right over it?

Am I doomed to always dig every target since I can't come up with some sort of accurate chart? Is this F2 working properly? Is my testing not done correctly?

HELP!!!

Are you sure you don't have any metal interference where you are doing this? Are you outside? Are you inside your house?

I have an F2 as well. I will post what I came up with as soon as I get a chance.

Are you sure you don't have any metal interference where you are doing this? Are you outside? Are you inside your house?

I have an F2 as well. I will post what I came up with as soon as I get a chance.
Outside metal free area. 2 carpet squares under, one over targets. Should I be more concerned with the numbers rather than what the machine "thinks" it is?

Some testing I did

I took my F2 outside. I just laid the following items on the ground. I'm still learning myself. It seems the numbers and identification made more sense if I lifted my coil a little more off of the ground.

1. Silver dime (displayed as dime) 71-73

2. Mercury dime (displayed as dime) 71-73

3. Mercury dime (displayed as dime) 67-68 (dated 1917)

4. Barber dime (displayed as dime) 67-68

5. Silver quarter (displayed as quarter) 80-82 (dated 1936)

6. High school class ring (displayed as tab) 37-39

7. Gold ring (displayed as quarter) 82-83 (I think marked 14k, but jewelry store said it was plated)

8. Ring marked Sterling (displayed as quarter) 77-79

9. 10k gold ring (displayed as nickel) 28-29

10. Buffalo nickel (displayed as nickel) 30-32

11. Half dollar (displayed as 86 and also the plus sign)

12. Sacagawea dollar (display as quarter) 80

13. A 14kt white gold ring (displayed as a solid nickel) 29-30

14. It appears older wheat pennies show up as dime, and earlier wheat pennies shows up as zinc.

Again, I'm still learning. I just put these items on top of the ground.

And it seemed to help if I lifted my coil a little more. I also had my sniper coil on my detector.

I took my F2 outside. I just laid the following items on the ground. I'm still learning myself. It seems the numbers and identification made more sense if I lifted my coil a little more off of the ground.

1. Silver dime (displayed as dime) 71-73

2. Mercury dime (displayed as dime) 71-73

3. Mercury dime (displayed as dime) 67-68 (dated 1917)

4. Barber dime (displayed as dime) 67-68

5. Silver quarter (displayed as quarter) 80-82 (dated 1936)

6. High school class ring (displayed as tab) 37-39

7. Gold ring (displayed as quarter) 82-83 (I think marked 14k, but jewelry store said it was plated)

8. Ring marked Sterling (displayed as quarter) 77-79

9. 10k gold ring (displayed as nickel) 28-29

10. Buffalo nickel (displayed as nickel) 30-32

11. Half dollar (displayed as 86 and also the plus sign)

12. Sacagawea dollar (display as quarter) 80

13. A 14kt white gold ring (displayed as a solid nickel) 29-30

14. It appears older wheat pennies show up as dime, and earlier wheat pennies shows up as zinc.

Again, I'm still learning. I just put these items on top of the ground.

And it seemed to help if I lifted my coil a little more. I also had my sniper coil on my detector.
The F2 seems fairly accurate on air tests until real earth depth is added to the equation. Every time I find a target it's not what I thought it would be and I have quite a large pile of scrap to prove it. Am I kidding myself digging all of these holes
with an entry level detector or should I save up for something like an AT Pro?

The F2 seems fairly accurate on air tests until real earth depth is added to the equation. Every time I find a target it's not what I thought it would be and I have quite a large pile of scrap to prove it. Am I kidding myself digging all of these holes
with an entry level detector or should I save up for something like an AT Pro
?

Ridiculous!

You just don't know what you are doing yet, and I suspect you might be also swinging way to fast over these targets.

The F2 is a beast on finding everything and definitely coins, as you learn you will find out how great this thing really is as the rest of us owners have found out.

I have a few detectors and find coins very easily with all of them, (because I have taken the time to LEARN them well and still learning), but the bulk of the coins that won me these two awards came by using the F2.

P1040596.jpg
P1040595.jpg

Power up your unit but keep your finger pressed on the power button for at least 10-15 seconds after it starts up.
This is a factory reset and should calm it down if it acts to jumpy and should always be done after changing coils.

Here is a post about setting up your F2 including installing the batteries correctly, don't laugh, I did this wrong when I got mine and it didn't work right at all.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=116326

Here is some more info on starting out with the F2.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=164265&highlight=GOLD!

Here is our social group
http://metaldetectingforum.com/group.php?groupid=189

Here is a cheat sheet
http://metaldetectingforum.com/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=1995

Here is a very long thread that can give you many tips if you take some time to read it, and if you do a search on my name I have written many more threads about the F2 and they are all over this forum.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=53930

If you are at the end of the scanning field you can get very jumpy numbers on any target including coins, except in those cases if you swing over coins at the correct speed and center the coil over the target you should be able to pick them all up with jumps on the numbers of no more than 2.

I have found thousands with my F2...deep, shallow, on edge, next to trash and more.

Take some time to learn this fine machine.
If you think buying a higher end unit will find coins any easier than this one will again I say that is just... crazy.

Honestly, take the numbers with a grain of salt. Where the F2 shines is in its tone separation; listen close, because it’s telling you all you need to know in the audio. Use the #s as a general guide only. :)

Ok, I took your advice and went back outside and started working on my swing and came up with better numbers. They are real close to what you had on your list.

Should there be a separate list for each coil or does it matter?
So I should look at the numbers and not what it shows as to what it is like tab,foil, etc?

My gold wedding band laying flat was tab 37 40
On edge 29 34 and jumpy

Yep. If the signal is repeatable, meaning it sounds generally the same when swinging left to right and right to left, dig the item. :D

With gold rings and jewelry coming all over the scale foil, zinc, etc I guess in reality is to just dig all solid signals?

My wedding band on edge was choppy and not a solid sound so I might loose out if I don't dig the choppy ones also?

With gold rings and jewelry coming all over the scale foil, zinc, etc I guess in reality is to just dig all solid signals?

My wedding band on edge was choppy and not a solid sound so I might loose out if I don't dig the choppy ones also?

When I say I dig everything what I really mean is I dig all solid signals.
For me that means targets that give off a great tone, first and foremost, and then targets that don't jump more than 2 numbers.

I have been lucky enough to dig 23 gold targets in my short 3.5 years in this hobby with 3 different detectors but the bulk of them were found with the F2 because I tend to use that one more than others.
This year I have been lucky enough to dig 8 of those gold targets, 7 were found when I was using the F2.
I can tell you every one of those targets found with the F2 except one were solid, repeatable and had a beautiful full tone and never jumped more than 2 numbers on the screen on my first pass swinging over them, (or at least solid when I look at the screen, anyway), except one and that one was still solid in the tone and jumped 4 numbers from 27-31 until I turned and hit it from another angle and at that point it settled down and then came in at only a 2 number jump.
I consider a 2 number jump a solid signal and I always dig those no matter where they come in.

I have read of other F2 owners that have dug gold and they have stated that it was a jumpy signal of more than 2 numbers, and/or didn't sound all that full or solid, (choppy in your terms).

I can not speak about their experiences, I did not see how fast they were swinging, at what position the target was under the coil, (front, back, side or center), whether they tried turning at another angle or anything else about what was happening when they dug gold at those jumpy numbers because I was not using their F2 and I was present when they dug them.
All I can tell you is what I have experienced on my gold finds and what I do on all signals when I hunt and maybe why I seem to get solid non jumpy signals 99.9% of the time on the gold targets I find with my F2.

On all sweeps I try to go slow and if I hear a solid tone I wil stop to examine it a little more in depth.
What I mean by that is I will take my coil and make some side to side passes over it, (I never "X" the target...only side to side swipes), and then at that point I might look at the screen.
I keep making those side to side movements while slowly moving the coil slightly north and south because the object for me is to get that target exactly centered under the coil.
I do this because I have found even though many good and bad targets will be solid with no numbers jumping more than 2 no matter what part of the coil is passing over it, a large amount of targets will not act this way and unless that target is exactly centered under the middle of the coil you will never get a true reading and a solid signal with any of the concentric coils.
On those coils targets passing under the heel, toe or the sides of the coil could give a very jumpy number signal.
Why I don't know but I do know this can and will happen on lots of targets.
I don't know about any of this happening using the DD coils because I have never used one on the F2.

On targets that sound good but jump more than 2 numbers I always take the time to see if I can get those numbers to calm down and come in at a solid or only 2 number jump.
This might be the difference between me and many other hunters that find great targets at jumpy number levels and why I never do...I take that extra time to examine them and maneuver that coil ever so slightly and sometimes turn at another angle to see if I can solidify those numbers to the best of my ability and I am usually successful.
I am not sure if others do it this way but this is how I do it.

Again, most every gold target found with the F2 was solid with no more than a 2 number jump, but that might be because by the time I looked at the screen I have already made several of those side to side passes and got that target centered correctly or as close to center as possible.
For all I know those numbers might have jumped all over the place at first pass but I am not looking at the screen at that point but at the ground and the coil movement over it.

None of this will happen unless I hear a solid, clear tone first.
For me and using all my detectors the sound is everything.

Swing slow at the right speed, center that gold ring under the coil, don't swing too high because all targets will be weak and iffy at the edge of the scanning field.

Try this on that gold ring and I bet it will no longer come in "choppy" but instead it will be a more solid sounding signal with no more than a 2 number jump...if that.

Back
Top Bottom