• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

*UPDATE*Tractor Supply had a cool little shovel

shedncoin

Stopped by my local Tractor Supply this afternoon and like usual I buy stuff I really don't need but have to have. They had a mini shovel that was built stout and only $9.99. Since I wanted a short shovel to fit in my back pack for an upcoming hunt I figured there was nothing to lose
Was able to cut only 5 1/2" off of its overall length, I think it'll do just fine. Surprise to see the handle is steel lined fiberglass so I doubt I could break it. A little two part epoxy on the handle and a grade 8 bolt and there ya have it.
Posted a description of what I did in post #11.

Attachments

• 20170315_132539.jpg
    20170315_132539.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,288
  • 20170315_140730.jpg
    20170315_140730.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,308
  • 20170318_161041.jpg
    20170318_161041.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,095
Last edited:
:roll:
another addicted detectorist out "looking" at stuff in the hardware store.
buying stuff you, "don't really need" but "gotta have"
then modifying it back at home in the "tinkers shop"
A sure sign of detecting madness, & being a GOONIE .:lol:

I have a very similar shovel, but I haven't trimmed it down yet. Great, light weight option to have around. HH and enjoy!

BCD

:roll:
another addicted detectorist out "looking" at stuff in the hardware store.
buying stuff you, "don't really need" but "gotta have"
then modifying it back at home in the "tinkers shop"
A sure sign of detecting madness, & being a GOONIE .:lol:

Yeah that sounds about right. Winters hard on us dectectorist, nothing to do but modify of equipment.

Now you can narrow it up and have basically what I've used for years. :D
Mine just has a wood handle, but I only paid $5 for it.

MD Shovel.jpg

I laid it out and made the cuts with a metal cutting blade in a circular saw, then went back and cleaned it all up with an angle grinder. Piece of cake!
Just be sure to do the layout on the back. That way you keep the saw flat to the work and don't run into the steps.

Last edited:
Nice mod. I got a mini shovel at HF and moded it too, but I actually extended the handle on it to keep from bending over as much. The blade is only about 6" wide so I didn't cut it down any more as I only use it in fields and woods, no yards. It attaches to the MOLLE straps on my pack and carries nicely.
IMG_1401.JPG

Finished my new digger. Only have about 2 hours in it and a total of $9.99 (plus tax).
To shape it I ran 1" wide blue masking tape down each edge then traced that with soap stone.
Broke out the cutting torch and knocked off the bulk, only took about 10 seconds a side. Retaped the edges and traced the ragged edge with a black sharpie. After about 5 minutes on a bench grinder and another 5 with a hand file, the sides were pretty straight. Hit the surface with some sand paper because the torch melted the factory varnish finish and left a rough finish along the edge. Found I had a few colors of Krylon paint and primer in one in the cabinet so I chose gloss black and gave it 6 light coats.
Full disclosure, I completely copied Longhairs design pattern...hope he doesn't mind. It turned out better than expected and I cant wait to use it.

Attachments

• 20170318_161041.jpg
    20170318_161041.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,014
  • 20170318_164531.jpg
    20170318_164531.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,034
Last edited:
That turned out really nice! :waytogo:

Leaving the treads full width is a lot easier on your foot. And narrowing it up like that just makes it too handy for cutting deep discrete plugs. I've dug literally thousands of holes with mine, and I don't go hunting w/o it anymore.

Great lil' shovel...... $3.99 at Harbor Freight with coupon!!! I buy these for the kids to use at the beach. Two of the ones I bought 5-years ago are still working great...even after being exposed to salt water.

Good buy!!!

I went out earlier and checked one of the sites I have permission to hunt (just waiting on my new detector to arrive) and determined that the ground is so hard I'm gong to need a shovel. Came home and ordered the $9.99 one from Harbor Frt. Didn't like how wide it was but figured it was better than spending a whole bunch more on one of the specialized ones. Then I went to the forum and did some reading and found this post not two minutes after ordering the shovel. Wow! What timing.

I blew through so many shovels until i just broke down and bought a lesch, now i own the whites ground hog, both are great and will never try to mod a shovel again unless Im building it myself from scratch. Thats pretty much the only way to have a better shovel.

My home made shovel still digging away. Alot less paint on it than before but thats expected. My only complaint is its just long enough that it doesn't fit into any of my back packs. I dont like to hook it to my belt for long walks it to spots. When the grounds as hard as its been lately, I use a full length track spade but thats more for leverage than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom