Minelab Quattro MP ?

NickL

Hi,
I'm just getting into the "sport" of metal detecting. I have a Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II that I picked up for $8.00 at a rummage sale. It seems to work and picks up quarters, pennies and dimes I put on the ground at about 6".

I'd like to get something better and am looking at a Minelab Quattro MP with a FBS 1050 coil and Koss headset for $325, at a pawn shop.

I've read some reviews that said it would pick up a quarter at up to 18" but find this hard to believe.

Questions: Is it worth $325? -- Will it pick up stuff better/deeper than my Bounty Hunter SS II? -- Is there any chance it will pick up 1/4gram gold flakes?

Thanks for any and all help!!
NickL

IMO, Any fbs unit is a very good machine, will it pick up gold flakes? Ehhh not sure about that but it will kill deep silver! It seems right around 300 is a fair price considering the age. Pending the condition is good too. Good luck and HH!

If it's in good shape I'd say get it..It's a Minelab,and a FBs machine so it will go deep,and find old silver and copper coins like no other.
It's slow,but all Minelab are.But it's not a race,and you'll have no problem getting your money back if you ever want to upgrade,that Quattro will sell for 325 five years from now...
My opinion,get it,great deal.

Quattro is a great machine. Owned one as well as 3 explorers. That depth is possible with bigger coils or if the target has enough mass. The Quattro really excels in highly mineralized ground and salt water beaches. That is where it takes a huge lead over single frequency machines.

As far as price....That isn't bad. Cheapest I've seen it sell for was $260, but before Christmas it sold as high as $400.

With my 10" coil I've found 0.5g 10k clasps. Thin chains and flakes are hard for any detector unless you have a PI.

You all made up my mind for me. I'll be getting the Quattro.

NickL

Great to hear. Remember that no matter what coil you use, or settings you have programmed, one of the single most important factors is using proper swing technique. This means time and method of swinging.

Method...keep the coil flat and parallel to the ground as you move left and right. Your coil should not be swung like a golf club

Timing...Each pass should take 4-5 seconds. If you swing to fast, you may skip right over a target without the detector sounding off. Coins have enough mass to be more forgiving, but thin necklaces and rings are the challenging items.

I didn't know it had to be that slow..... Glad you told me!
Well, that does depend on how far you are swinging. So if you are swinging almost a full 180 degrees, than 4-5 seconds is what several authors (and myself) have recommended to achieve max performance. Happy hunting!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The machine is a good one if it works properly. I would offer $280 and see if he bites. He probably only paid 200 maybe $250 for the unit.

Back
Top Bottom