E Trac or XP Deus?

I Own both the E Trac as well as the Deus and I also have the CTX 3030.
If you are coinshooting then definitely the E Trac over the Deus. If you find you like hunting for coins and bond with the E Trac THEN you may want to upgrade to the CTX3030.
The Deus is a great machine but I believe it is geared more for relic hunting. As far as coinshooting it just does not Id the trash as well as a E Trac so you end up digging a lot more of it.

To the op,,,,

Deus better on lower conductors like gold.

Etrac is a very good copper and silver finder.

In the worst of sites with iron,,Deus.

There are big weight and ergonomic differences.

Deus does fit in back pack nicely,,,for your later prospecting ventures.

What detector does your dad use btw??
Just curious.

He might love a Deus.

I disagree that the deus target Id isn't any good...from my experience of running the deus it pulled 7 to 8 inch silver with Id in the 90s,just where it shoulda been.
I like the etrac,the tones are great and sure it has probably the best Id going.But the etrac can't Id what it can't see,and I have yet to find a place to hunt free of iron and trash.Ive read people saying the etrac is king in trash,that couldn't be further from the truth.Maybe king of mask in the trash,but it will never compare to a deus in trashy areas,absolutely no way.
If you hunt moderately trashy places get a etrac,thats a no brainier.But if you see yourself in trashy places a lot,get the deus.Its separation is unmatched.
I like both.At the end of the day it's just what your more at home with using.

Last edited:
The problem is it rings in the 90's for everything at depth at least as my experience has shown. So for me saying it rung up 90 on a deep coin is like saying a broken clock is right twice a day. It is a great separating machine. But ID stinks, worse than virtually every machine I have ever owned. Heck I even thought maybe something was wrong with the first one since folks defending it said it was good with ID, so figured I would give a second one a shot and it was identical.

There is a place for each machine no doubt.. And both fantastic in their place.. that is why I own both a ctx and a deus..

Last edited:
I here all this business about tdi vdi debate been seeing it go own about these 2 machines for months do minelab users dig trash too? throw some trash or iron in the mix real world hunting and things get a little more complicated imo. I believe the etrac,deus deus and ctx are all top notch detectors and whatever fits your style best go with it ,I know thats what your trying to figure out. IMO the target tdi on the minelabs is being hyped a little, buy one bury some targets put some iron around it ,put some at depth in clean ground etc etc, the numbers jump and change and so forth, the deus does tend to elevate the numbers on deeper targets that why you have to learn the tones of the deus silver has a certain sound in full tones, I found the ctx to sound the same on a mason jar lid as it did on a silver dime just my experience of course im just a relic hunter so what do I know. If your a coin shooter go with the minelab seems to be the general concensus BUT dont let the hype fool you I bet you still dig plenty of trash with the far superior according to some tdi vdi target trace etc. Do minelab users still dig trash? Do deus users dig trash? the debate goes on.

It absolutely is not over hyped to me. The deus reads high in my ground when there is no iron around. Nothing more frustrating when you get a solid 90 signal, dig down 6 inches and pull a pull tab.

I can and do in that same enviroment have a much higher good find to dig ratio with the minelab and with a long full day of detecting that is huge. Do I still dig trash, sure. But way less than with the deus.. second I enjoy the accuracy, the combo of the fe/Co readings after a while you really get a good feel to what you are about to dig, and that is just fun in my book..

So again I have a repect for both, and when I get to the very old sights where I should be digging everything the deus is the go to. In a area where digging everything is stupid or I am cherry picking for silvers the minelab comes out.

If you are just looking for a rig to go hunting with your Old Man as he coin shoots...Just to spend time with him and enjoy the outdoors and watch him hunt and find some treasure....I'd get some real basic kind of thing, maybe go real old school even with a cheapo intro rig?

Just for giggles? Hell, I wouldnt even put batteries in it!...a day afield with your Father is a treasure enough, you dont need to outhunt him with some fancy high dollar rig...I'd recommend a Zebco 202 with a "My Little Pony" 4' rod and 6lb test...Good on ya for spending time with your Dad!...This kind of deal is a precious event and aint got nothing to do with the gear....

You can always go back later all by yourself with the big guns if the site holds merit....
Mud

Thanks Detector, I have a Minelab GPZ7000 for my gold, not really to concerned about finding gold rings, Just coins out hunting with my dad. After reading and listening to you guys I'm buying a CTX. I just sold my GPX4500 and getting it on the way. I'd like to thank you all for your help and opinions

Thanks Detector, I have a Minelab GPZ7000 for my gold, not really to concerned about finding gold rings, Just coins out hunting with my dad. After reading and listening to you guys I'm buying a CTX. I just sold my GPX4500 and getting it on the way. I'd like to thank you all for your help and opinions
wish I would have knew that just sold the one I had shipped it today, good luck I do love the tones of the ctx but for relic hunting it just wasnt for me guys on all the forums love the thing please update when you get a little time on it and let us know how its going.hh

So again I have a repect for both, and when I get to the very old sights where I should be digging everything the deus is the go to. In a area where digging everything is stupid or I am cherry picking for silvers the minelab comes out.

Same here. CTX for coin shooting and hunting in modern trash, Deus for relic hunting or hunting older sites where there's not a lot of modern trash.

No hype what-so-ever. I hunt in heavy iron all the time with the CTX. The trick for getting an accurate ID in heavy iron or trash is to narrow your sweep to just a wiggle over the detected target so that you get directly over the top of it. Then make a very short stroke, stopping about an inch past the target. This gives the TID time to update and display the proper ID.

If you are just looking for a rig to go hunting with your Old Man as he coin shoots...Just to spend time with him and enjoy the outdoors and watch him hunt and find some treasure....I'd get some real basic kind of thing, maybe go real old school even with a cheapo intro rig?

Just for giggles? Hell, I wouldnt even put batteries in it!...a day afield with your Father is a treasure enough, you dont need to outhunt him with some fancy high dollar rig...I'd recommend a Zebco 202 with a "My Little Pony" 4' rod and 6lb test...Good on ya for spending time with your Dad!...This kind of deal is a precious event and aint got nothing to do with the gear....

You can always go back later all by yourself with the big guns if the site holds merit....
Mud

I've been detecting too many years to buy a cheap one lol! 20 years ago I had bought an old whites and fell in love with detecting! When I was a little kid, my dad was always under the water working with his dredge, and I was carrying buckets of dirt. My dad is still young, he's only 60 years and I'm 40. My first love is finding nuggets, big ones! I really like Minelab and have had many of their detectors, never a bad one. I'm thinking CTX, my dad has a fisher F75 and a tecknetics T2 I believe. He doesn't care much for nugget shooting tho. I'll see if I can post a pic, this is a 1/2lb nugget I got last year. Ive found many over an ounce down to couple grain. I do enjoy finding coins, any treasure is fun when your a treasure hunter! IMG_0010.JPG

Back
Top Bottom