Soveriegn xs and the zip loc bag

tractmanrrl

The plan is to use it in the surf but not under water. We are only talking about water resistant not water proof. Remounted the box under the elbow this helped balance it and raise it up away from the water. Next I used a zip loc bag ( my wife's bright idea) to enclose the box. The head phones and coil both plug right in through the bag, no problem. The v notch that holds the box to the shaft slips right in and holds fine. I can still make adjustments through the bag. I only need to protect from splashing and spray. Will also keep sand out, a bonus. If water gets in I can see it. Next I need to water proof the coil or replace it. Sure fits into the KISS principle. Keep it simple. Any ideas on the coil?
c0aa55413cf654f3cc9dcf95f1fdf021.jpg
cae75ed21eab59c8770e403327515299.jpg

That's really tempting fate... I ran my sov gt in a waterproof box and kept in in a small backpack, nicer setup.

I used to venture out almost waist deep at times with my Sov GT before I got a Excal for hunting in the water...I'd recommend putting blue painter's tape over the speaker to keep sand and dirt out. Secure the box to the shaft with zip ties, a small bungee cord, strap, whatever...so there's no way it can slide or fall off. Secure the headphone wire to the armcuff bolt or the shaft to prevent stress and strain which can lead to shorts. And never raise the coil up in the air...or water that collects in the shaft will run down to the control box.

I used to venture out almost waist deep at times with my Sov GT before I got a Excal for hunting in the water...I'd recommend putting blue painter's tape over the speaker to keep sand and dirt out. Secure the box to the shaft with zip ties, a small bungee cord, strap, whatever...so there's no way it can slide or fall off. Secure the headphone wire to the armcuff bolt or the shaft to prevent stress and strain which can lead to shorts. And never raise the coil up in the air...or water that collects in the shaft will run down to the control box.

Appreciate the advise Captain silver

The plan is to use it in the surf but not under water. We are only talking about water resistant not water proof. Remounted the box under the elbow this helped balance it and raise it up away from the water. Next I used a zip loc bag ( my wife's bright idea) to enclose the box. The head phones and coil both plug right in through the bag, no problem. The v notch that holds the box to the shaft slips right in and holds fine. I can still make adjustments through the bag. I only need to protect from splashing and spray. Will also keep sand out, a bonus. If water gets in I can see it. Next I need to water proof the coil or replace it. Sure fits into the KISS principle. Keep it simple. Any ideas on the coil?
c0aa55413cf654f3cc9dcf95f1fdf021.jpg
cae75ed21eab59c8770e403327515299.jpg

I don't trust your running the plugs through the bag at all. That nut is not water tight. Run them both down through the opening of the bag, zip it closed, and then seal the bag around the wires with 'metal' duct tape from Home Depot, it is amazing sticky stuff. Tape right over the ziplock zipper too to prevent it from loosening.

Once sealed tight you can still operate the knobs just by grabbing the plastic around a knob.

Also, don't cheapen out on the zip locks. Use the heavy duty freezer bags with a 'zipper'

Getting hints that there might be an over heating issue for sovereigns in a water proof box or bag. Thought I would make others aware. Anybody know about this?

I dig it

Getting hints that there might be an over heating issue for sovereigns in a water proof box or bag. Thought I would make others aware. Anybody know about this?

I dig it

If it is getting warm, you are not out far enough. The second trough usually works well. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom