sharpening a Lesche

JEBar

I've been using a Lesche digging tool and find it really does a good job ... have those of you who have been using a Lesche for a while ever found the need to sharpen it ?? ... if so, what sharpening tools do you find work well ???

Jim

I sharpen alot of knives I have a 16in 3 stone bench. You can buy a tool for the saw edge of your tool and a small hand stone would work on the smooth side. I wouldnt use a machine unless you have lots of pits on the smooth side. Some folks like a machine for shapening I just perfer a stone

booker said:
I sharpen alot of knives I have a 16in 3 stone bench. You can buy a tool for the saw edge of your tool and a small hand stone would work on the smooth side. I wouldnt use a machine unless you have lots of pits on the smooth side. Some folks like a machine for shapening I just perfer a stone

thank you for the above response ... I'm old school (in many ways) and have hand stones that I can use on the for the smooth side but don't really have any idea about what kind of tool I would need for the saw edge ... advise and a source recommendation would be appreciated

Jim

Jim-- generally a hardware or sporting good store would have a 3 side V shape stone its a small stick type

booker said:
Jim-- generally a hardware or sporting good store would have a 3 side V shape stone its a small stick type

thank you, I'll see if I can locate one

Jim

in taking a careful look at the sharpening marks on the Lesche, it appears the factory puts the original edge on the blade with a belt sander

Jim

I just use a very fine file to sharpen mine. Don't take long, and the tool is nice and sharp. ;)

I use a bench grinder - very lightly so as to not get it hot enough to lose the temper. Dont sharpen too often but have used my first one (in the pic) and sharpened it so many years that it became short. Bought my current one recently and also one for my wife's gardening. Now she doesn't use mine plus I have a backup if I lose mine :) steve in so az

Attachments

• lesche tools.jpg
    lesche tools.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 366
JEBar, That digger does not need sharpening, I used it the other day and it looked and worked fine. :?: Just ordered me 2 of em :shock:

bbqcook said:
JEBar, That digger does not need sharpening, I used it the other day and it looked and worked fine. :?: Just ordered me 2 of em :shock:

well understood and on this point, totally agree .. :D.. I can only hope to use it so much that I dull it to where it needs sharpening and want to be ready to do so :yes:

Jim

I use an E-Z Lap diamond flat "stone" (diamonds are impregnated throughout), as well as an E-Z Lap diamond round file type sharpener (looks like a ballpoint pen). These sharpeners are not just coated with diamond, so they won't wear out. Use for serrated as well as flat edges.

Back
Top Bottom