Shovels Again!

Mike 257

Forum Supporter
Ok so im in the market for my first shovel and im torn between these two. First im a bit confused, is Lesche the same person who owns Predator Tools? The Blue handled shovel shown below is made by Predator and the Silver is the Sampson. So do I need a smooth edged shovel or the one with saw teeth?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-11-22-09-47-16-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-11-22-09-47-16-1.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 506
  • Screenshot_2015-11-22-09-46-07-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-11-22-09-46-07-1.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 475
  • Screenshot_2015-11-22-09-45-04-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-11-22-09-45-04-1.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 598
Best $50 I ever spent!

Was for the 31 inch "T" handle Sampson serrated, I love it!!

Just got my 31" Sampson. It slices roots not problem. I wish it were about 3 inches longer, but I really like it.

Ok cool, I was going to get the blue Predator shown above but Im thinking I don't want serrations on both sides so I will go with the same one you guys are using.Now to find the best price.

Last edited:
To answer your questions.

Predator tools is the original George Lesche (or Pamela is pres/ceo).

I prefer the 2 sides serrated. I have only had to just poke and it cuts through every root I have encountered besides something so large that I wouldn't attempt to saw thru with anything. I have NEVER used mine in a sawing manner like the one side serrated indicates. (i.e. poke hole, use serrated side to saw thru roots while making a circle patterned hole/plug).

I can see where a non-serrated would make a slightly "cleaner" cut, just slightly though.

I have the predator tools little eagle(s). Great build, strong steel, as light weight as I could expect. I LOVE IT ! You can see it in use in my more recent videos.

GL and HH!

WW Manufacturing (http://www.wwmfg.com/) was the original company started by Walter Lesche. Predator Tools (http://www.predatortools.com/) is a spin off company, that occurred after the death of Walter Lesche in 2002, following some kind of family squabble. They are a division of Pamela Lesche Enterprises, and consist of a total of 3 people. They don't seem to have any customer service, or, they just don't care (?). Several people that I have spoken with, and hunt with, have Predator shovels. They have all had conflicts with the company, mainly with George, who happens to charge an arm and a leg for his products, plus shipping, just to make you feel better. I personally, have sent him two email inquirys (to their customer service who is supposedly George) over the last 2 weeks, and I have had absolutely no response - ZERO. The heck with that. If it's this hard to send them money, for an extremely overpriced item, what will it be like if I have a problem. I will not beg them to accept my money ! :mad:

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking their product, but I am extremely disappointed with their customer service, or lack of, so I decided to purchase my shovels from dealers that sell shovels made by WW Manufacturing, and yes, those shovels still carry the Lesche name, but at least, I got good service, a good price, fast free shipping, plus great products, and all without a hassle. ;)

And while waiting for Predator Tools to reply to my simple questions, I have purchased four shovels.......:mad:

Nick, since I started this thread I have also read about the sub par customer service from Predator Tools , for this reason I went with the original Lesche digger.

Nick, since I started this thread I have also read about the sub par customer service from Predator Tools , for this reason I went with the original Lesche digger.

Yep, it's a real shame. Even the MD dealers, that aren't allowed to sell the Predator shovels, will tell you that they make a decent product. It's just unfortunate, that they have allowed themselves, and their company, to build such a bad reputation. But, when it's just a "family of three", that make up an entire company, you never know what's going on, but somebody isn't keeping an "eye on the ball"...........:?:

I purchased my WW Lesche tools on EBay from Serious Detecting, price was right and shipping was fast. I called WW direct for warr. info and they were helpful. My impression is that WW is a small family business.

My B Y soil is full of roots and the 31" T handle shovel (purchased to save my back) does a good job. However, when extra depth or area digging is required, I find that the smaller serrated hand tool is easier to dig with, leaves a smaller foot print and cuts through the roots with no problem. I have come to the conclusion that I definitely need both shovels. Thank goodness for knee pads!

I have a Predator Piranha and really like it. You guys are right about customer service. I got an email acknowledging / confirming the purchase but never got one saying it had shipped. That bothers me but I rationalized it with "they're a tiny operation". I think their stuff is well made and will continue to use them. I just know what to expect from them now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom