Not funny...Not funny AT ALL!! Got fooled big time...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
As some of you know I set a silly goal of finding 12 pieces of gold by years end.
This started last March when I had 3 gold targets already and I said what the heck, lets shoot for the moon.
Lo and behold it is now December and I have found 11 gold pieces so far.
10 for sure, one vintage pocket watch that is rolled gold but there still seems to be a decent amount of gold in it and some refiners even pay 80% for rolled gold so I am going to count it.
For the last few weeks I have been on a mission to find that last piece of gold, make it a dozen and hit that ridiculous goal.
Today I went to an older park in order to find this final target and also to play around with the new F70 a bit.
An hour in I already had a bunch of clad, some keys and a piece of junk jewelry.
I had several nickels by this time and then I hit another signal around nickel numbers.
I open a small hole and what do I see..a freakin' gold class ring!
Gold #12 and what a target to hit my goal on, and it looks old.
I pull it out of the dirt and push the dirt out of the center and take a look.
14K!
Can't ask for anything better!
Then I knock the rest of the dirt off the ring and it cleans off fine but when I look at the sides there is nothing on either one except some generic looking symbol, and when I look at the front all I can see are two words around the stone and they are not the name of any high school I ever heard of because those two words say "High School"

P1040851.jpg
P1040852.jpg

Probably not one High School high school in the country, I bet, and it was kinda thin and not really heavy, either.
What the???!!!
What contest in H-E-Double hockey sticks did I win that the universe decides to reward me with this find which has to be the heartbreaker of all heartbreakers when it comes to heartbreaking finds.
Put yourself in my place and think about it a bit and I am sure you will agree.
Just who wears a fake high school ring and who in the world would make one and why?

It does look kinda old and the 14k and some other writing is very worn on the inside band but for awhile I just couldn't believe it and I could not think of a reason for this thing to exist.
Just to make sure I took it to my jeweler and they tested it and said not 14k and a 10k test she said it passed but barely...whatever that means.
Cutting into it there does not appear to be any base metal but still it confused the heck out of the jewelry girl.

Showing it to the wife she came up with what I believe is the answer to all this confusion...salesman sample.
She has seen rings like this before and doing research I found out Balfour, Jostens and other companies do make samples for the many sales people they send out to schools and others throughout the country.
Sometimes they are just plated, some are actual gold but I don't believe the karat purity goes any higher than 8k...if that.
It would not due to have tarnishing samples so some kind of gold is in these things and mine did come out of the dirt clean and shined up even more but still...
I really need to test this with a kit that goes lower than 10k but no matter what I still don't believe I can count this thing as real gold so for now the search continues.

Oh yea...I guess the MD gods weren't done messing with me for the day so on the way back to the truck and I assume just for fun they let me dig like 5 or 6" down and come up with this other ring.

P1040856.jpg
Silver for sure, and at least something in the precious metal area, I thought at first, and yet...no.
Also nice and clean with no tarnish but not a mark on this thing so it is either so old it was never marked or it is nice but still junk.
Guess which one of those two things is the better bet?

The good thing is I had more proof that the F70 is just a beast on coins, finds all kinds including nickels very easily, it also finds keys and junk jewelry and gives me a good indication on trash so I am getting more comfortable every time I swing it.

The bad thing is that stupid ring which I did not find very amusing at all.
I hope the powers that be got their big laugh at my expense today and I hope they find someone else to mess with and leave me alone for awhile, at least.

Digger
I must admit that it is a bummer when things like this happen. When I found my first "gold" ring on the dry sand at the beach my heart was literally "pounding out of my chest". I hit the most SOLID nickel sound, turning side-to-side, etc and then going for the kill. Looking all over for some sort of marking and could not quickly find one. So I put it aside and couldn't keep my mind from wandering because I found my first gold. I eventually get home, wash the thing a bit better, and realize that it is just junk jewelry. I'm very happy, me at least, that I found my sterling silvers. One of them being a catholic pendent, which is now very near and dear to me... long story. The other, somewhat of an ugly looking 925 silver ring that I found 2x days after the pendent, but nonetheless a silver ring.

The point, again, I REALLY do know what the feeling is like. It is now, of course, upto me to fulfill that "gap" for my finds. I'm pretty sure you will find that 12th gold.

As soon as I get rid of this stupid flu I just got, I'm gonna head on out to the beach, after work of course, even though the beach is "empty" now. You just never know what is below your feet.

HH \_ to you Digger

at least you wont have to look for the owner:laughing:
bummer though
more gold than I have found this year

Bummer on the class ring. At least you got a silver one. I really hope you find that 12th piece of gold, and a few more before the year is over. GL & HH!

ROFL, High School High--isn’t that where we all went? Oh, man, you had me laughing, though. With you, of course. Yeah, that’s it. :D

Looks like gold???

9K maybe...

Congrats on a couple more ringers in the least...

<*)))>{

And so what makes you think it isn't 14K as marked or 9K like Ice says?

Looks like gold???

9K maybe...

Congrats on a couple more ringers in the least...

<*)))>{

Actually, if this is a salesman's sample it is still a pretty unique find in the dirt so there is that.
There are people out there that collect these things, I see them for sale in all forms on the auction sites and I have never seen anyone else ever post about a find like this and that is pretty cool.
It does seem to be solid and not plated or rolled gold which is a much thicker layer of gold than plating, but when I set the goal even though I did not set any parameters I just can't count this as a gold find.
In Germany they do consider 8k as real gold, but over here 10k and up is usually the rule and I can't feel good about considering this even if it is something like 8k.
In my mind that would be cheating, and when I set goals, something I have done forever in life and in my career as a salesman, you either hit those numbers or you don't, no fudging allowed.
If you don't but still come close that is still an accomplishment and no shame there as long as you gave it your best shot and you just try a little harder next time.
Still not feeling perfectly good about counting that gold watch in these totals even though there does seem to be a mess of gold in that thing.
To really ease my mind I would love to find 2 more pieces of gold and then call it a year but if I can do it it probably needs to be done today because we have 3 different storms that are so far heading our way, at least one of them is going to dump some snow on us and it gets really cold starting tomorrow so with that bad weather rolling in and there is a possibility that my year might be done but we will see.

I can't complain...finding this many gold targets in the dirt in only public areas is still quite a feat and I have had the best year gold wise I have ever had.

Still, this kind of a find happening so close to hitting that goal at this point in my quest is, and there is no better word for it...heartbreaking.

Oh well, there is always next year and with the new heater at my side which seems to be able to find good targets and and vacuum them up like a Hoover goes after dust bunnies who knows what next year will bring.

Found my first gold in a local park near the swings. Saw this gold coin glittering from the dirt and was very excited. But as I wiped mud away I see GeorgeWashington staring at me. WTH? Seems QVC sells gold plated quarters and I had found one. Bummer.
Even worse it got mixed with some clad headed to the tumbler. Took every bit of gold off it. :gaah:

If it is 8 or 9K I would rather count/find that ring than a tiny 14K woman's band any day!!!

<*)))>{

Gold is gold I will take any I can find. I'm trying to get one more gold ring for the year, I've got five and hoping to get one more.

Congrats on the ring. I would have it tested. :yes:

Gold is gold I will take any I can find. I'm trying to get one more gold ring for the year, I've got five and hoping to get one more.

Congrats on the ring. I would have it tested. :yes:

Did, whatever it is it is less than 10k but I will get my own test kit and if I can I will test it for 8k.

This is not a problem anymore...today I found the real deal and that makes up for this disappointing one.

Looks real enough, I would count it but glad you got the real thing to make up for it. Congrats on hitting your goal !!

It looks like a great find to me!

Why not count it as gold? Even if it was 4k it would have as much gold as some ladies rings right? Gold is gold, and it is a saleman's sample too boot! If it was a saleman's sample from the 1940's or prior it would probably be valuable. Did you say you cut into it? Ouch.

Plated= junk!

<*)))>{

LOL!

Actually, even though lots of these things are only plated, this one appears pretty old and solid with no different metal underneath...all gold color all the way through.
Some of these sample were made that way, not many but some.
Still, even if it is some form of real gold it is less than 10k so I ain't counting it and the very next day I found something much better and real to complete my quest for 12.

Back
Top Bottom