Let's make a list of unique terms dectorists say

TriadHunter

Elite Member
My wife likes to make fun of the unique terminology some of us use as detectorists. I thought it might be helpful to get input from everyone. I will then build a huge alphabetical list in a few weeks and maybe it can be a sticky?

Off the top of my head:

Toasty: a hammered, worn coin
Squeaker: a high signal, often indicating a metal object in a desired range
HH: Happy Hunting
Tot Lot: a play area that kids typically play consisting of wood chips or similar
Buff: Buffalo nickel
IHP, Injun: Indian Head Penny
Walker: walking liberty coin
Seated: type of coin with someone sitting on something
Merc: mercury dime
Stinkin': a modern Lincoln cent
Barber: typically a barber dime, but can also reference a barber quarter

What did I miss?

My wife likes to make fun of the unique terminology some of us use as detectorists. I thought it might be helpful to get input from everyone. I will then build a huge alphabetical list in a few weeks and maybe it can be a sticky?

Off the top of my head:

Toasty: a hammered, worn coin
Squeaker: a high signal, often indicating a metal object in a desired range
HH: Happy Hunting
Tot Lot: a play area that kids typically play consisting of wood chips or similar
Buff: Buffalo nickel
IHP, Injun: Indian Head Penny
Walker: walking liberty coin
Seated: type of coin with someone sitting on something
Merc: mercury dime
Stinkin': a modern Lincoln cent
Barber: typically a barber dime, but can also reference a barber quarter

What did I miss?

Plenty more in this old thread...

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=473

DinkyDao! Didi Mao! Zippo Raids, Curbstrip Chow! Dropping Sense, Cranking Disc, Slingin' coil, Kickin' chips! Slammin' Clad, Breakin' Bad, Eyeballin bills like a Peregrine Falcon! Scarfing Beach Laundry, towels over the shoulder like a Continental Soldier! Knocking out stink like a can of Fabreeze, going and hunting where I damn well please...Surf Church with a sermon from Pastor Pillow, searching for abandoned yards on Zillow...Stiff Huntin', Lot Thumpin', Nickel Quest, and Penny Pumpin'...

No one wants to spend half of the day finding can slaw yet we all find our share of it. We’d rather be finding some Civ or roundness in the hole. I mean what is better than finding some juice in our new nectar sector? Heck even finding some Nitro is better than finding a handful of Leaverights, wouldn’t you agree?

Read more....

http://detecting365.com/talking-talk-metal-detecting-terminology/

TALKING THE TALK – METAL DETECTING TERMINOLOGY

We can add to it if need be lol

I'm often asked by non detectorists what I'm finding while out hunting. My usual reply is "Oh, just a bunch of clad." Several times now they will nod, smile, look puzzled and say "What the heck is clad?" :grin:

I always mention I'm going dirtfishing and many times I have to explain to someone what that is. It's one of my favorite words of all time.

Funny how every occupation or hobby develops their own jargon. Each type of criminal even has a jargon of its own. Burglars, bank robbers, pimps, drug dealers, etc. Guess it's part of being in a group, and separating yourself from the general population. I bet there's even a jargon for McDonalds employees. :lol:

DinkyDao! Didi Mao! Zippo Raids, Curbstrip Chow! Dropping Sense, Cranking Disc, Slingin' coil, Kickin' chips! Slammin' Clad, Breakin' Bad, Eyeballin bills like a Peregrine Falcon! Scarfing Beach Laundry, towels over the shoulder like a Continental Soldier! Knocking out stink like a can of Fabreeze, going and hunting where I damn well please...Surf Church with a sermon from Pastor Pillow, searching for abandoned yards on Zillow...Stiff Huntin', Lot Thumpin', Nickel Quest, and Penny Pumpin'...

Can I just use mud's and just say preach on brother and Amen.

Did a search and here are a few I found on an MD web site :lol:

bottlecap magnet – A machine that indicates bottle caps as a good signal such as coins. as in “That detector is a bottlecap magnet"

clad magnet – after particularly difficult hunts where only new coins were found, you may refer to yourself as a “clad magnet.”

Joke Tags– A small personalized metal plates with an engraving of the metal detector’s name, left behind in holes for other detectorists to find as a practical joke.
Often these are made up using crawdad/lobster cage ID tags.

pulltab magnet – A machine that can’t discriminate out pull-tabs very well.

I laughed out loud at the "searching for abandoned yards on Zillow".

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Thank You!

Thank you, TriadHunter, for posting this, and everyone else for contributing. I don't have the years of forum experience to know all this stuff already, and I am certain that many newcomers will be enlightened.
It took me a minute to figure out some of the terms I read here. Such as:
SLQ - Standing Liberty Quarter
Seat - Seated Liberty dime?
Carrot - orange Garret pinpointer
There are so many...

I'm sellin' them lyrics to Snoop Dog :cool:

ETA: WORD

:laughing::laughing: Target found, real deep sound, Lesche in the ground cutting around. Poppin' da plug, that I jus dug, dump da dirt on a rug so you won't look like a litterbug. Pullin' da Carrot out, searchin' da gold out, hopin' for some bling, as the Garrett sings just to find a beaver tail ring... :laughing::laughing:

Word playa....:cool::laughing:

Mud made me do it.....:shrug:

:laughing::laughing: Target found, real deep sound, Lesche in the ground cutting around. Poppin' da plug, that I jus dug, dump da dirt on a rug so you won't look like a litterbug. Pullin' da Carrot out, searchin' da gold out, hopin' for some bling, as the Garrett sings just to find a beaver tail ring... :laughing::laughing:

Word playa....:cool::laughing:

Mud made me do it.....:shrug:

You and Mud could be brothers! :laughing: :laughing:

One of our Forum Members actually has a common find named after him that is gaining some traction in the Global detecting vernacular at large!..

All the Forum Waterbabies know what a 'Felix Penny' is...It connotates 'hopefulness and effort exerted, with a corresponding time wasted letdown'...

In the day to day WaterWeenie conversation..."Find anything?" "Naw, Just a bunch of damned Felixes!" :laughing:

You gotta dig the Felixes though, the signal has GOLD potential, like a pulltab or a gum wrapper foil, and like them more often than not proves to be a worthless disappointment....Lots of Felixes out there, in all aspects of Life....every once in a while though, a 'Felix signal' is the Find of the Year...so thats the deal on this...

A 'Felix Penny' could be an investment in a stock like Blue Apron or Solyndra, a Spouse, a car, a Kid, a Dog,...just about anything you thought had potential but turned out to be worthless junk..:laughing:

Last edited:
Don't say much while hunting except when bending over and then again while trying to get up. Can't really post these "detecting" words.

Back
Top Bottom