How/do you organize your MDing research?

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
I'm not too computer savvy, so most of mine is on paper, which it also makes it easier to put in the truck for reference.

I took advantage of the back to school sales and bought plenty of folders and a couple 3-ring binders. I keep a folder on places I have permission to hunt, one for those I need to find who/where to ask permission, another for "leads" needing additional research.

I do bookmark sites with research info, and some leads if i happen across something on the internet, but I still copy it onto paper in the event I'd ever run across someone in person who might know something about it.

I access the internet via air card plugged into a wireless router, so I always have the option of taking the laptop and plugging the aircard into it and taking it along, but never really saw an advantage, aside from Google Earth.

What's your "system"? Or do you pretty much do it all at home, and jump in the vehicle and go?

I do all my research at home and then I set off for the hunt. When I go to hunt parks, I always have a look on google maps to see if there are any nearby parks which might be worth hunting, so that if my first park turns up nothing or very little, I can go there! :)

I've been on the hunt for free old maps online in my area but yet to find anything. There are certain sites but they charge too much for a stinkin PDF!

Organize? System? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. Those sound like really good ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL! I've got more time than anything and have always been fairly organized at everything.

I haven't got in the groove here yet as far as research, so I'm currently researching sites to research :lol:

Interesting post/ question...I've only been detecting a couple of weeks, none this week, that pesky work thing, but I did tons of web research before I even bought my detector. Google Earth compared with older maps is kinda cool. Really gives you an understanding of how towns/ locations change over time. It has given me a completely new way I look at things driving to and fro....Seems now I look for places that may be interesting to hunt instead of just seeing and empty lot or abandoned property.....:lookclose:

Since I'm just plundering beaches for non-historical (aside from the odd WW2 bullet) treasure, I just keep records of which beaches I've hit, how often, and what I've pulled there. I make notes about which areas yielded what (clad, treasure, or trash) and where in particular the best finds were found.

Generally when I plan to re-visit a beach I'll look over the data I've gathered on it so I can plan how I want to hit it.

If it's a first-time strike I'll look closely at google satellite view and see if there's any parking nearby and how many ways the beach can be accessed. I'll also search the forums here and see if the beach has been mentioned in anybody's posts. There's definitely some good intel to be found here.:yes:

I've been on the hunt for free old maps online in my area but yet to find anything. There are certain sites but they charge too much for a stinkin PDF!

What general area are you looking for? County/State name??

Try searching for the Cemeteries in your county. Years ago I'd found 1870's plat maps (with home locations) for the county I lived in at the time. Also, check your Library and Courthouse.

I keep everything up in the old dome piece, don't collect or organize anything. I probably should though.

I keep everything up in the old dome piece, don't collect or organize anything. I probably should though.

I'm kind of that way as well. I have an uncanny memory. I do all my research at home, once it's in my head, it never leaves. I've spent the last 50 years of my life involved with maps, topographic and nautical. Hiking great distances and plotting courses. I'm lucky, I just have a great sense of direction etc.
My brother (my hunting partner) is constantly asking, "how the heii do you keep all this stuff in there".

So do most of you usually just focus on 1-2 spots at a time, and ask permission (if needed), and hunt them (if able), then go on to the next one(s)? Or (like I do) research several sites at a given time, narrow them down, weed-out the ones that are built-over, parking lots, etc., and then go about spending a day maybe just trying to gain permission(s)?

Well if you obtain permissions and such for sites you cant get to for a while you may find that those permissions had an expiration date or that those who gave permission have a short memory. Same goes for having more non permission sites lined up than you can get to for a while , things can change.

I personally gave up on having so much open research going on at once , that causes the need to organize and keep so much record. Im always looking for new places and searching for tips , I may write a few things down from time to time but I stick to just actively researching a couple things at a time and I verify them or hunt them before moving on to something else , that works for me and helps me avoid a lot of unnecessary stuff that I may never get around to in the long run. I just find it more efficient to deal with what I know I will be hunting in the very near future and keep mental notes of what I may look into next.

But that's just my take on it , for some all the open research and organization is part of the fun of the hobby so for some its a good thing.

It is hard for me to do research because most information is in Japanese. I use google translate but it's hard to find the information to start with. My wife is Japanese so I ask her to do some research for me but she isn't interested in metal detecting so she doesn't spend much time helping me. I have found some good spots just by using Google Earth but I still want to know the history of the site.

Back
Top Bottom